Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NURBS Spline?

RStuart

Can someone please help me. I generated a curve from a solid on one edge in order to create a 3D contour toolpath. Although when I actually machine the part the toolpath is made up of many lines instead of arcs. Does anyone know how I can smooth this out. It is a complete circle. I have tried modify convert to arcs but this does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you checked the arc settings in your post?

arcoutput : 1 #0 = IJK, 1 = R no sign, 2 = R signed neg. over 180

skp_lead_flgs : 1 #Do NOT use v9 style contour flags

arctype : 2 #Arc center 1=abs, 2=St-Ctr, 3=Ctr-St, 4=unsigned inc.

do_full_arc : 0 #Allow full circle output? 0=no, 1=yes

helix_arc : 1 #Support helix arc output, 0=no, 1=all planes, 2=XY plane only

arccheck : 1 #Check for small arcs, convert to linear

atol : .01 #Angularity tolerance for arccheck = 2

Also, make sure arcs are turned on in filter.

sometimes when splines will not convert to arcs it is because they may not all be at same z level. i will project splines to a flat surface then convert to arcs this works well for setting up geometry for simple 2-d contours and the like.

hth,

trevor

Are you doing a replace Y type of move? If so, then unroll the 3-D curve into the centre of rotation. This will allow you to create arcs from splines or filter the toolpath so you get arcs. Any time you run a 3-D contour it can be unrolled and then the Rotary Axis button used to re-wrap the shape onto the cylinder. If this isn't the case I am sorry for wasting your time, perhaps describe the movement more and we'll have anothere crack.

Take care...

try break splines into half,then modify convert into arcs,if it doesn't convert,break it into half again until all your splines are converted.although it will be better then modify break splines to arcs,where you tend to have many small arcs.

If your having this much trouble creating a single arc and all your getting is a bunch of small arcs that replace the lines of the spline, create a spline with even more control points that the original. Then you will not see the lines on the piece you are cutting. Of course you would not use the arc filter then.