Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Depth Cuts Changing

within a thou

Good morning, For about the last week I have noticed that when I am doing a 2D contour and I set my depth of cut, when I go and set other parameters turn coolant on or off leadin and out whatever when I generate my program the depth of cut at times reverts back to the default set in the library. The problem seems to be intermitent. I havent changed any defaults this is just something that has started happening and it picks and chooses when it wants to happen and which files it happens in.

Does anyone know whats causing this or what I am doing wrong? As soon as I go back into the Operation manager and change it back and regen it sticks but I don't know why its choosing to not stick on occasions.

within, with that button checked (use tools step peck......) Depth cuts will default to whatever is set in your tool def params....

So what is causing this problem to be intermitent and why is it starting now and was never a problem before?

I'd be willing to bet your only seeing the "issue" now. AFAIK it has always been that way.

When you pick your tool, double click it, go to the params tab, and enter what you want your rough DOC to be where it says "Rough Z step"

I am changing the default in the parameter page for that toolpath. going to the next item in the tree setting lead in coolant linking parameters and so on. Clicking the checkmark the program generates with the default from the tool librarioes DOC. Go back in and it sticks. This doesn't happen with every tool it chooses when it feels I ned to set it twice and when I can get away with only setting it once. It is the inconsistancy I am worried about because that is what is going to burn me

I feel that pain every other day with default settings in all areas not sticking after saving and checking or applying. sometimes daily.

Same here Rick spent half my morning resetting allmy defaults after a crash trying to import a large model. I know my comp is a POS and looking at geting replaced. If this doesn't resolve the issue may be time to go back a few levels of mcam this is to many lost hours resetting things. Getting to the point I should write a macro to go and set all my defaults and run betwen each and every mouse click to make sure things I have already set stay set. If these DOC were changing each and everytime ok but when I am writing 40 paths on a file and 6 of them change the DOC with no default changes its a matter of time till I crush one of my mills.

Keith my P.C. is brand new with win 7 premium. I don't think it matters

Be careful ppl, I change some tool path parameters in the 2 -d section contour and pocket for the

clear and retract to be absolute and now when I import a common drill or tap tool path

it resets the retract to absolute upon import regardless that i want only the setting that WERE in the path

I am importing....another big head ache.....

gotta sacrifice one thing for 1 another just to be efficient programming.....:(

Keith,

Yes I went into the parameters inside the Operation manager and set my rough depth of cut there. I just had a rough Z depth change back to the tool library default when I clicked the radio button for "Keep tool down" on that same page. I then reset it a second time and it stuck. I then went created my next 2D contour for the next path and no problem. Same tool just different area of the part I was machining. There is no pattern to this mcam just chooses when it feels the need to change it for me.

The depth cuts is the worse one but another thing that started acting up today is my default mill which I have set to my Daewoo. I reset the default back to daewoo. close restart X5 and it defaults to the machine I want go import in my next detail and and my machine is back to default mill and not the daewoo I just set it to.

• 10 months later...

Hi

On the same topic, We're new to X5 (the company had us running MC8) and I'm trying to save my settings when I close the windows, so that they remain set when I close and re-open the program. Some of the operators here don't always double check things, and i'm betting this will become an issue, soon.

Thanks

John Spangler

Definitely seems to do it when you click on tool. It's done it on me when I'm positive I didn't click on it though. Tool numbers is another one that screws up on me sometimes.

My workaround has been to create an X+ setup sheet right before I actually post a program. I have it set to show doc, stepover, etc. Just scan that & make sure it looks good, then post.