Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T

Carlie

Why the negative attitude towards mold makers. I make molds but I concider myself to be a machinest.My way of thinking is it does't mater what you are making if you are moving metal you are machining. I've come across all kinds in the trades and don't get how some mold makers consider them selves to be better than anyone else.Mabey there are some low self esteam issues behind it.

cheers.gif Noel

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I believe the negativity arises from the general "Holier Than Thou" attitude Mold Makers have shown towards other groups of Metalworkers.

I personally have been on the recieving end of it a number of times from guys saying what I was about to do was impossible. Perhaps this company is referring to the general Mold Maker's inability to work less than 50 hour weeks without squealing like a stuck pig, and their general ability to milk the crap out of every job. Perhaps that's what the Anti-Mold Maker sentiment is about. I don't know I'm just guesing.

Maybe they don’t want a mold maker because most are over qualified and will become bored with a production type job. At my current job I sometimes am required to do small production and bracket work. This type of work drives me crazy as it does most mold makers here. I’ve been building molds for 18 years it’s what I have been trained to do and I do it well. Any other work is plane boring to me. I like the edge of mold making.

Some craftspeople love mold work some don’t.

just last week i droped off parts at the mold shop down the street to have some taps burned out we dont have an edm here and we needed to save these cast parts ..i asked this old timer how long have you been a machinest ???oh boy look out you would have thought i asked to have his daughter ..he said FIRST OFF IM NO MACHINEST IM A MOLD MAKER !!with his holyer than thou look on his face .. in the bridgeport he is running is a 4 x 6 block with 2 counter bored holes in it and 2 more blocks to go i went back to work to work on a programe with about 25 tools and around 35 operations thank god im only a machinest !!!

Ok I'll give it a shot.

quote:

The company wants someone who has 10-20 yrs experience.... he company requested I find someone who has worked in a metal cutting shop not a mold shop.

How about 3+ years in a tool & die shop?

quote:

with computer skills, MasterCam and Fanuc experience.

Strong computer skills. Mastercam c-hook programmer.

Shameless plug. Link to my mastercam site.

Also I do all the post processor customization for our shop.

quote:

My client said he will relocate someone ...

Willingness to relocate. biggrin.gif

Bryan smile.gif

Hey, Noel. I'm envious. Wish I could 'get a print' then make my part! LOL It's a lot of fun, though- gotta get my ruler, protracter, my circles [i routered out several circles of different radii in order to determine the parts radii, line em up till.. the slopes match]. I can't complain, as I have blueprinted several parts for the company. But I'm a machinist, a moldmaker. Blueprinting is for the birds! frown.gif

Hi, Carlie. I forgot to mention- I have a degree in electrical engineering. But my passion is making molds, so I guess I'm excluded from any consideration. frown.gif I designed and manufactured illuminated motion ad signs in which I became involved in CNC router production. Yep, been in production big time. Now, though, I'm happy. No more BIG pressure. I just make my molds as I go, no questions asked. I've also soon realized the intricacies involved in the mold industry, and have found the mental acumen is, in my opinion, far more demanding than production manufacturing. I realize I'm no expert by any means and the variances throughout the CNC manufacturing industry are diverse, but moldmakers- GOOD moldmakers, are a valuable commodity within our country's economic infrastructure.

I think the whole "moldmaker" holier than thou attitude stems from the past where you had to do alot of fitting and bluing in of parts etc.What used to take multiple ops and setups using sine bars,indexing heads,rotary tables,duplicating machines, etc. can now be done in one or two ops an an NC machine.There does seem to be some resentment towards the NC guys.Probably because we are taking their work away. Now a days the NC dept. does 90% of the machining on our molds. The moldmakers mostly surface grind and assemble.Which they bitch about to no end.How come you left .005" per side on these pieces do you know how long that takes to grind? Well do you know how long it will take to remake those peices if they come back from heat treat all twisted and don't clean up? For the record I have my papers as a moldmaker which I have never used for anything other than gathering dust. Like I said before we all move metal or wood and it doesn't mater what we are called you are either good at what you do or your not.

cheers.gif Noel

Why does it always have to come down to "my dad can beat up your dad"?

I think the term "mold maker" does not hold the status it once used to. The self-proclaimed superiority of the "mold maker" is all but gone. It's been replaced by the "cnc machinist". There's better, faster, more accurate ways to produce molds today. Those that couldn't move along with the changing tide are left behind to fit, assemble and polish the work of the "new" mold maker. (Not an easy task, mind you)

I'm not generalizing, but the moldmakers that I know personally are mad. They don't want to be classified as machinists. When I ask them why, they can't come up with an answer that they can back up.

Times have changed. Mold makers have created a name for themselves, and have stuck by the reputation of a dead art. So be it. I don't call myself a "mold maker", although I've made molds before. I'm a machinist. I make parts on a machine. Need a mold? No problem. Need a laser tuning appature(sp)? No problem. That's what machinists do.

'Rekd teh MacHinist

[ 06-13-2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

An old man I used to work with came up to me one day at work and put a piece of aluminum on the table and told me "heres your part". I was like "what?" Its a block of material. He said this is your new project. The part is right there, just remove all the material around it.

"Leadmen" has replaced The "MoldMaker"

You Have to Fit all the pieces together

(From the Machinists,

Grinder hands,wire and Sinker personal)

You have to have experience in all the areas so you can Make sure everything is coming together.

and will Fit ,Form and function.

I guess your really a manager of sort

(Maybe thats where the Head trip comes in

With some people)

An engineer once told me

"The only reason they have leadmen

Is so they have someone to blame"

My job here for the last 8 years has

Been to program and run Whatever the Leadmen need

for there jobs.

To All,

Carlie is what's known as a "headhunter". My wife does similar work as a Senior Staffing Coordinator for Adecco. Her job is to locate any number of possible candidates for the job. Think about it. That means there are no qualified individuals in NYC to choose from. One of the largest cities in the world doesn't have enough qualified "CNC Programmers" (notice she didn't ask for "Machinists" either), who could fit the bill. The whole city, with some exceptions, is filled with those who just shift money around, not actually make anything of importance to stimulate the economy through actual manufacturing. Too many people are ignorant of the fact that cell phones, PDA's and laptops are actually produced from molded and machined parts. Even buying a cup of coffee involves machinery indirectly. Many people are just so unaware that everything they have touched during the day from the moment they woke up and flipped on the switch, has been manufactured in some way.

FWIW Carlie, you've certainly hit on a major resource for just the type of people you're looking for. For 150K, my wife says I could commute and see her on the weekends. I'm just not interested in that kind of deal. There are more important things than money. Good Luck! cheers.gif