Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pocket Mill/Air Wall

dylskee

Hello all,

I've started a new job a couple weeks ago and I just started using MasterCam X5, I have been a GibbsCam user the last 3 years and they are pretty different. I've got a simple job to do Monday and I need some help. I have a 9.650 Diameter part I have to mill on the face and I'm throwing it in a set of soft jaws in a vise, I want to mill a pocket essentially in the jaws but I don't want to start from center and cut air for 5 minutes obviously. So I snapped a line at the point where the jaws would be and chose to do two pocket mills for the jaws. How can I make my tool path overlap the horizontal line? I've tried the open pocket but that doesn't do the trick, Gibbs has a feature where you can call a line an "Air Wall" and the tool will overlap that piece of geometry. Does MasterCam have that capability or can someone tell me how I can achieve this? I know I could probably do this with a contour and offset but I was just wondering if I could do this with the pocket function? Thanks for any insight.

post-20423-0-00493800-1312570930_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

I've started a new job a couple weeks ago and I just started using MasterCam X5, I have been a GibbsCam user the last 3 years and they are pretty different. I've got a simple job to do Monday and I need some help. I have a 9.650 Diameter part I have to mill on the face and I'm throwing it in a set of soft jaws in a vise, I want to mill a pocket essentially in the jaws but I don't want to start from center and cut air for 5 minutes obviously. So I snapped a line at the point where the jaws would be and chose to do two pocket mills for the jaws. How can I make my tool path overlap the horizontal line? I've tried the open pocket but that doesn't do the trick, Gibbs has a feature where you can call a line an "Air Wall" and the tool will overlap that piece of geometry. Does MasterCam have that capability or can someone tell me how I can achieve this? I know I could probably do this with a contour and offset but I was just wondering if I could do this with the pocket function? Thanks for any insight.

There are a few ways to do this. It is very simple actually but I dont have time to create a file for you right now. If nobody else helps you by tomorrow morning I will create a file for you and post it for you to look at. I see that you are using X5 but what Mill level?

How big is the gap between your soft jaws?

You could move that line the radius of your tool, and then rechain it.

Yes that's what I was going to do if I can't just break that line and force the tool over it.

There are a few ways to do this. It is very simple actually but I dont have time to create a file for you right now. If nobody else helps you by tomorrow morning I will create a file for you and post it for you to look at. I see that you are using X5 but what Mill level?

How big is the gap between your soft jaws?

Well the seat I'm is up to 4 axis. I'm not sure of the exact gap right now, I'm already home starting my weekend!

Looking for something like this?

Yes exactly. Did you do that with the offset contour?

Thanks all for the quick replies I appreciate it! :)

I used 2d high speed core for that tool path. You will probably need some help with the chaining if you want to try that path.

If it were me, I would use 2d dynamic core to rough and 2d high speed core to finish the floor (there are several other ways to accomplish this very easily) but I would choose this way because I could just copy the roughing operation and change it to 2d hss core and have a ready path in less than a minute.

if you would like, I can help you with the chaining.. I always re-use geometry for my chaining but I am not sure that is a good practice.. Probably just a bad habit of mine but its quick and easy..

It IS possible. You just have to think different. As I said. Its very simple.. you just have to look at things differently..

We are licensed for gibbs at my shop too. Gibbs sucks compared to MC. The thinking is different. Try to get used to it. This is coming from someone that is not your typical Mastercam pusher.

It IS possible. You just have to think different. As I said. Its very simple.. you just have to look at things differently..

We are licensed for gibbs at my shop too. Gibbs sucks compared to MC. The thinking is different. Try to get used to it. This is coming from someone that is not your typical Mastercam pusher.

You're right about thinking different and that's going to take some time. I do like MC so far but I'm just not good at it yet and that drives me nuts! I learned how to use software with GibbsCam 3 years ago so that's the only system I've ever known.

Just our of curiosity, why didn't you like open pocket? For a simple operation like that, it worked fine for me.

I couldn't get the tool to cut over the line, I know I'm doing something wrong but it just didn't work for me. I am teaching myself the software and it's only been two weeks so I have a long way to go.

I couldn't get the tool to cut over the line, I know I'm doing something wrong but it just didn't work for me. I am teaching myself the software and it's only been two weeks so I have a long way to go.

change the overlap percentage to 150% or so. That will give you a full tool overlap. be sure to check the "use open pocket cutting method" and you will see what you are looking for.

change the overlap percentage to 150% or so. That will give you a full tool overlap. be sure to check the "use open pocket cutting method" and you will see what you are looking for.

I did that but now it over cuts all the geometry. How do I keep the toolpath inside the arc and outside the horizontal line? Sorry, I know this is simple to you and not so much for me right now!

I did that but now it over cuts all the geometry. How do I keep the toolpath inside the arc and outside the horizontal line? Sorry, I know this is simple to you and not so much for me right now!

No sweat, that's why you're here. I used a .5 endmill below. The ONLY thing I don't like is no way to force retract, buut, it is a pocket. so for quick and painless....this or contour with multi pass as stated

9b071676.jpg

e2ac5b44.jpg

• Like 1

"Why complicate things. Chain the arc only contour and multi pass. Done. Might have to play with the number of passes a little but simple and fast."

I totally agree. Simply put, use partial chain or delete the line altogether. 2D contour will do it the easiest.

Yeah, I just learned about that partial chaining feature this weekend. I have a Demo copy and some training material so I go through it as much as I can on the weekends.