Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

using dongle from remote laptop

thays

You can remote connect to a pc which houses the hasp and use mastercam on the desktop pc works, but to use the hasp from a desktop on your laptop via remote, dont think it can be done!

the difference between nethasp and hasp(dongle) is nethasp can let the license "float" on a network. hasp is for stand alone pc.

A hasp allows one computer to run Mastercam.. and the hasp must be plugged into that computer.

You can run that computer remotely with Remote PC or some other remote software, but it is heavily

dependent on a fast internet connect.

I doubt it would be successful for more than very light duty work.

A nethasp hooks to a network and can be seen by all computers on the network.

If you have 5 licenses, 5 machines can run at the same time.

With a decent internet connection you can remote in and use a nethasp license just like you were at the office.

I can access the company license server on my home workstation with no trouble,

but I have not tried it on my laptop with a wireless connection.

is it possible to use a remote connection using a laptop to access the dongle on a desktop,i am currently in the hospital and dont have the dongle.

what is the difference between net hasp and dongle?

thank you

yes but it seems like the video didnt work real well for I tried to do the same thing from my home comuter to my work computer back in X2 and I was using some Norton product that was meant for remote desktop connections, it also required opening of ports on the router at work and what not. didnt work well for me so I just uninstalled it and forgot all about it even.. but who knows whats out there on the market now and the capabilities it can provide.I was trying to do this so I could program from home if I were home sick and the guy at work could run the programs but just couldnt get it to work right for some reason or another.. HTH..

I just tried setting up a VPN to my employeer's nethasp on my laptop.

My laptop is hooked to my home network via a wireless connection

Mastercam lauches on my laptop and has access to all the licenses I'd have if I were at work plugged

into the company network.

There is one downside though.

I have a 25 meg cable internet connection

My employeer has a 1 meg T1 connection.

When I hook up via the VPN, my internet access goes through

the 1 meg T1 line.

I've talked to my IT guy and he said there is no way around this.

yes but it seems like the video didnt work real well for I tried to do the same thing from my home comuter to my work computer back in X2 and I was using some Norton product that was meant for remote desktop connections, it also required opening of ports on the router at work and what not. didnt work well for me so I just uninstalled it and forgot all about it even.. but who knows whats out there on the market now and the capabilities it can provide.I was trying to do this so I could program from home if I were home sick and the guy at work could run the programs but just couldnt get it to work right for some reason or another.. HTH..

try http://www.gotomypc.com/remote_access/remote_access

thays,

My wife is a system's programmer for a large corp., they use a program very similar to this:

USB over Ethernet

They use this type of setup for virtual machines and virtual server applications where there is no actual hardware for the machine to access dongle keys. (they use a proprietary program)

I don't know if this would work with MC's dongle or not, or if it is legal to use, but they use a similar program to this one for just that purpose.

HTH

Mark

Hey guys, i use a program called Teamviewer, and it is basically like a remote Pc thing, similar to GOTOMYPC, but it is free. It even works on my phone, not ideal at all, but i works in a pinch. Take a look. :)

*forgot to add, you must leave it running on any computer you wish to access, it gives you a password.*

The instructions are in the Administrator Guide which is located in C:\Program Files\mcamx5\documentation.

1. Set the Nhasp Utility to look for the NetHASP.

2. Then look inside C:\Program Files\mcamx5 for the file named nethasp.ini and open it in notepad.

3. Scroll down until you find the nethasp tcp/ip section shown below. You can either enter the IP address of the server if you know it’s fixed or the name of the server if it’s using a dynamic IP address that is always changing.

[NH_TCPIP]

;
; NetHASP does not support TCP/IP under DOS.
;

;
; Section-specific Keywords for the TCP/IP protocol.
;

;;NH_SERVER_ADDR = <Addr1>, <Addr2>   ; IP addresses of all the NetHASP 
                          ; License Managers you want to search.
                          ; Unlimited addresses are possible.
                          ;
                          ; Possible address format examples:
                          ;  IP address:      192.114.176.65
                          ;  Local Hostname:  ftp.aladdin.co.il

;;NH_PORT_NUMBER = <Num>         ; Set the TCP/IP port number. This is
                          ; optional. The default number is 475.

;;NH_TCPIP_METHOD = TCP or UDP        ; Send a TCP packet or UDP packet
                          ; Default:  UDP
;;NH_USE_BROADCAST = Enabled or Disabled; Use TCPI/IP Broadcast mechanism.
                          ; Default:  Enabled

;;NH_SERVER_NAME = <Name1>, <Name2>,  ; Communicate with the NetHASP 
                          ; Server with the specified name.
                          ; Maximum: 6 names, up to 7 
                          ; case-insensitive characters each.

4. VPN in to your computer at work.

Got this info from Matt at Inhouse, Thanks Matt!

all I had to do was edit this part from

;;NH_SERVER_NAME = <Name1>, <Name2>, ; Communicate with the NetHASP ; Server with the specified name.

; Maximum: 6 names, up to 7 ; case-insensitive characters each.

to

NH_SERVER_NAME = IP address of nethasp server here ; Communicate with the NetHASP ; Server with the specified name.

; Maximum: 6 names, up to 7 ; case-insensitive characters each.