Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Protecting custom posts

I have been protecting posts in binary format to disourage copying, but I was wondering if it is possible to set a time limit (For example 90 days) and after that time the post will stop working.

I am sure it can be done. Just how much coding is involved im not sure about.

Thanks

Randle

There is a way to protect without binary conversion. That would be to create a buffer file and save as text on the initial run of the post. Inside that buffer file is the date code. Each time the post is run, it looks for that buffer file and checks the number of days elapsed. Once you reach your limit, a new buffer file is generated that states that time has elapsed and please contact "Master Toolpath Engineer" for a fresh post. Then that buffer file is renamed to replace the .pst file that is being protected.

All of a sudden, there is no output. If they open the .pst file in an editor, they see the above message.

If you are clever enough in the coding, there is no need for encryption. Nobody on the planet could possibly navigate some of the code that I have done. Besides, if they were that good at figuring posts out, why are they using yours?

HTH

The encryption should not make any difference in processing time. The decryption happens before the processing of the data takes place. The MP executable has to build the variable tables and instruction lists before processing the input data (NCI + Parameters).

I could be wrong (I often am), but I don't think Binning a post compresses any of the information, it just encrypts the data inside the PSB file.