Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question for all people at companys with more than 1 programmer

connormac

Hey all,

I was just wondering if companies with more than one programmer used 1 tool data base on a server or does each programmer have their tool list set up on each computer. I think we should all be using the same tool list but need a good argument to convince everyone that is how it should be. Please give opinions.

Thanks

Connormac

Typically when customers have several programmers, they want them all using the same files. In this case we move the mentioned files onto the server and point the users to the server for those files.

This way everyone is using the posts, tool libraries and other other desired files.

This is what I hoped to here. Now the first road block. I was talking to our IT person. He use to be our programmer. He brought up , when one programmer adds a tool, how is the tool list updated for all the other programmers already using mastercam. Once you open Mastercam isn't it the list loaded into mastercam. Don't get me wrong I agree, just trying to get answers to questions before I bring it back up. If they bring up a road block I will have to find a answer and it will be that much longer before it can be switched. Another programmer said he wanted to use his list that way he knew what was on it and that it was right. I tried to tell him that we need to all be using the same tools.

Thanks for all the responses

Connormac

This is what I hoped to here. Now the first road block. I was talking to our IT person. He use to be our programmer. He brought up , when one programmer adds a tool, how is the tool list updated for all the other programmers already using mastercam. Once you open Mastercam isn't it the list loaded into mastercam. Don't get me wrong I agree, just trying to get answers to questions before I bring it back up. If they bring up a road block I will have to find a answer and it will be that much longer before it can be switched. Another programmer said he wanted to use his list that way he knew what was on it and that it was right. I tried to tell him that we need to all be using the same tools.

Thanks for all the responses

Connormac

there's several ways to do it depending on your circumstances or set up. It must be thought through per shop application.with that being said.....out of everyhting that can be changed in a shop, people are the hardest thing to change ;) If your more open to the idea, ask him for HIS tool list so you guys are on the same page. You change a bit first , then mebbe he will come around. :)

Same here we have 3 programmers and we all use the same Tools, MD, CD, Posts, Operations, And Settings. Its better that way, you have a uniform set of workstations and programmers that uses the same tools. In addition to that there is a reduced risk of losing data or deleting data by accident. You have just one set of tools in the shop it would not make sense to have multiple libraries for each programmer. In the event that they claim that they want to personalize each toll then you need to come up with the Standard Feeds And Speeds for each tool, save and each programmer can modify to their liking depending on the cut being made.