Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Renumber tools still buggy in X5

Thee Rickster ™

I really hope they went over the tool group renumbering in X6.

Usually it just doesnt do any thing, and I have to changed them all one by one.

But now, I just did it this morning and

I copied a group of tools from one toolpath group

to another, deleted Tool #1 path 3/8 em 15deg, the highlighted

selected FC607AINS to highlight them/ right click/renumber tools

and look at my results. 1-1/2 em is tool # 1 and #2 and the very next tool is

tool(3/4" ball) is #2 also???

tools.png

Does this happen to every one or am just the chosen one? :wallbash:

Rick

@John, The Lock Speeds and Feeds setting was turned on by default in X5.

Got into Settings >> Config >> toolpaths, uncheck lock feedrates

You can uncheck it in there.

Or right click on the tool in the tool path parameters and click reinitialize speeds and feeds

@ Rick,

All I can say is wow. I am doing 2 separate jobs for customers currently, multiple parts, I am importing all of the ops from previous files, not once have I see this in doing these jobs.

Do me a favor guys, I sent the file in to Jim Evans,

Email QC and copy the link to this thread or it may not ever get fixed.

remember..... they need a ton of ppl point it out to get it on the HIGH priority fix list.

Maybe they will stop what they are doing and fix it for the re-release of X6. or at least...MU1

Ya never know.

Rickster,

Its not just you. I encounter bugs that have been around since X2 all the time. In fact, I encounter bugs NOW that were fixed in X2Mr2Sp1 and then magically reappeared in X3 only to have never been addressed since.

Ive complained about some of them to my reseller. Some to QC. Some on here. My response was always the same. With the exception of CNC's QC department, everyone was quick to blame ME rather than to admit that the software was flawed. I got frustrated and gave up.

Now I only bring up MAJOR flaws such as the one that I found in X6 optirough. Im not sure if anyone remembers, but I found a MAJOR bug in X5 optirough (originally thought it was in transform) as well that caused part gouging but since they were so deep in to X6 they just notified me that I would have to wait until X6 came out and that the bug was taken care of in X6. I just kept my mouth shut but come on, it is a bug that causes part gouging. It will NEVER be fixed! So anyone that is using X5 and does not upgrade their software could possible encounter that bug at some point.

I am worried that X6 will not have a MU and that they will be just moving on to X7. Not going to say why I have that feeling but I do. X6 is PLAGUED with bugs! Most of them are insignificant but some are not.

This has been a albatross around here since the release of X3. It seems that by the time they come out with a new release of the software, we have had to find so many work arounds to different bugs that it changes the way that we use the software and we forget about having encountered them in the first place. Then a new release comes out and we start all over.

Its getting very old.

I encounter bugs NOW that were fixed in X2Mr2Sp1

I know.

This was fixed in X3 MU1 , probable because of the thread i made and pic of the

damage it cost me.

BTW, for me, THIS IS a major flaw.

Not going to say why I have that feeling but I do

i heard the same rumor from a very reliable source, but i also heard through

another reliable source that now, because of huge issues, they may HAVE to.....:rolleyes:

JP you have to leave it unchecked when copying from group to group, but

have to check when importing other wise the same d@m issue.

What should I be leaving checked or unchecked to recreate this?

@John, The Lock Speeds and Feeds setting was turned on by default in X5.

Got into Settings >> Config >> toolpaths, uncheck lock feedrates

You can uncheck it in there.

Or right click on the tool in the tool path parameters and click reinitialize speeds and feeds

@ Rick,

All I can say is wow. I am doing 2 separate jobs for customers currently, multiple parts, I am importing all of the ops from previous files, not once have I see this in doing these jobs.

Thanks JP! :thumbup:

@ John

I do complex 3-d paths, and my files are 200- 400 meg in size. some time 500meg

i work on two jobs on one p.c. and desk top remote crunching EC's paths on another.

Its harder for me with the waterline rest paths/ not regenning issue,

as It wastes a couple hours a day of waiting for failed paths to regen and restarting mc

to get them to work.

the other half a dozen issues that just show up out of now where, like this one, compile a huge PITA for me

We are all force to push MC to it limits by working on more then one job at a time, for me,

because of lost time with software bugs.

I know.

This was fixed in X3 MU1 , probable because of the thread i made and pic of the

damage it cost me.

BTW, for me, THIS IS a major flaw.

i heard the same rumor from a very reliable source, but i also heard through

another reliable source that now, because of huge issues, they may HAVE to.....:rolleyes:

I agree! Some bugs that are just minor irritations to some are major to others depending on how you use the software.

I spend allot of time copying and pasting tool paths across Machine and Toolpath groups. Its is also not uncommon for me to have 3 - 5 Machine groups in a single file with some times 20 or more tool path groups depending on the job. I tend to keep assemblies together in one file and program all of the parts and operations in that single file as it is easier for me to keep track of everything. Prior to X5, the more groups I would accumulate in a single file the more unstable the operations manager would become to the point that I couldnt even click on an operation without crashing Mastercam "Unhandled Exception Occurred – Mastercam Execution Halted".

That was a major bug to me but I had a very hard time convincing anyone because most do not use the software this way. Ive even sent files to my reseller and since there was no easy explanation it had to be something that "I" was doing wrong. I showed this bug to Colin years back when he came to my house for some private mastercam tutoring but I wouldnt doubt it if he forgot about it by now. I cant tell you how many hours of lost programming time that particular bug cost me. Even with the backup! That bug trained me to hit the save button about every 5 steps and I have been doing it ever since.

What should I be leaving checked or unchecked to recreate this?

locked feed rates

Import a group of paths from another file where you slowed feed rates for the same tool say a 1/2 ball.

-1/2 ball waterlin rest (change feed lower)

-1/2 ball waterline pencil (sspeed up feed)

-1/2 ball flowline (change feed even faster)

now import then to a new tool group in a different file with the 'locked feedrates' checked on

check all feeds and speed for each of the 3 imported paths

Then, import them with the box unchecked and then check all feed rates for each path.

you will see in one instance all the feed rates are the same but differnent then any of the rates you put in

Cheers

Here is one from X6, open up the file, open up the op parameters for the last toolpath. Double click on the tool with the red insert (the 1 selected for that op), go to the parameters tab of the tool def and enter "11" for the offset number (it was defined as offset 11 when I created it). Hit enter and green check out.

The tool will now show as T0111 in the ops manager and the operations parameters window that is still up on the screen. (here comes the bug) Now green check out of the operations parameters and look at the tool in the ops manager (with that op expanded).

It's back to T0101.

The last program I sent to the machine had 3 wrong offset #'s. I assumed I censored.gif it up.... but now I am doubting that it was my fault .sure it was not my fault.

Workaround that I found so far is to ONLY make changes to the tools by going to the toolpaths dropdown at the top and opening the "lathe tool manager".

Cool, now I'm gonna have to proofread ALL tool #'s and offset #'s.

fish.gif I love the fish slap!!!!!!!!!!

And by the way, for me the definition of MAJOR issue is not getting the tool & offset #'s correct.

Maybe there are just to many ways to change the number...

renumber tools

operation parameters

tool definition process

tool manager

... prolly missed a few.

Wonder if the problem would go away if there was only 1 (ONE) way to change the numbers.

fish.gif

Keith, I do not normally change tool numbers that way, so I have not seen that problem. I generailly change my tool numbers inside the toolpath parameters page, right click, and edit tool, and I have not had an issue so far. I am not saying you are wrong, but it may be a work around for you in the meantime.

HTH

Should we not have a forum where all the reported bugs are listed? This way it is easy to see if they have been reported, this way we can also see if they have been addressed.

I know all software has bugs but from what I hear is Mastercam has more then most. Not sure if this is true but I am beginning to wonder.