Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to set tool and offset numbers?

K2csq7

I have been having a boat load of trouble with one of the most fundamental aspects of this software.

I am going out on a limb and call it my own fault. (lack of proper training).

For the life of me lately I cannont get the offset #'s to stick in lathe (X6).

What is the "proper" way to define this? Most (99%) of the tools I use are custom tools that I have drawn and defined.

I'll define the tool and then go to the parameters tab and enter my desired tool and offset number. I will have (example) one tool as T0303 then another as T0313... most of the time I have an issue it would be the T0313 changing to T0303. (seems random, cant reproduce yet, but this has bit me about 6 times since I started with X6.)

3 operations into it, I'll notice the offset number has changed.

Anyone else having probles like this?

Whats the most "foolproof" way to get the offset numbers to stick to their respective tools?

"Lock feedrates in config", "assign tool #'s sequentially" in the tool settings branch of the operations manager? Should I define the tools as I go along, or define them all up front then pick em as I make the operations.

Any advise is appreciated.

I wish I could offer you something here, but I define my tools the same way you do and I do it as I am going along not up front. Unfortunately my offset numbers usually match my tool numbers so I do not run into this much, I know exactly what you mean though as I have been able to replicate it. Have you heard anything back from the file you sent to QC?

:crickets:

LOL, forgot I sent it to them... just checked my sent items folder and yes, I sent it in on the 15th..... no answer.

Anyone else care to share how they set the tool & offset #'s?

Maybe someone who trains people on the fundamentals?

Maybe I should sign up for a training class...realmad.gif

Keith,

We are looking at the Tool Offset issue. Thanks for sending this in...

This is still a problem with the new install.

Very very frustrating, the software can do full blown feature based machining for the "new kids on the block".

But I can't get lathe to keep track of the tool offset numbers I define.

Since I put that check in my post it has caught this problem a dozen or more times over probably 200 posted operations using multiple files.... Has anyone else had messed up offset #'s?

Oh ya, when you are in the tool definition and are entering the home position values..... if you want a negative dia, you have to enter it as a positive #, & vice-versa... clap.gif

This is still a problem with the new install.

Very very frustrating, the software can do full blown feature based machining for the "new kids on the block".

But I can't get lathe to keep track of the tool offset numbers I define.

Since I put that check in my post it has caught this problem a dozen or more times over probably 200 posted operations using multiple files.... Has anyone else had messed up offset #'s?

Are you using different numbers for the same tool or set numbers based on the tool number.

In mill I modify my posts to make the T and H number the same as the tool number or add a pre-defined number if the machine needs it so that I don't have to worry about changing all the info in the tool definition.

When I create the tool I give it a tool # & an offset #. I usually do it right in the lathe tool manager before creating the operations.

But the offset number will not stick if it is different than the tool number... i.e. T0111 will revert to T0101.

I was informed by CNC that this is a bug and was supposed to be fixed before this new release... but I guess the big guns at CNC changed their mind.

(Thank you to those at CNC that have given us the tid bits of info we have.... I know it's not you making the decisions and appreciate your attempts to aid all of us here on the forum).

I'm done b!tching now and will ger r done wif a smile on me face. ice.gif

I feel your pain Keith. The only way I have been able to get them to stick is setting it here (see below) in each toolpath. It does not always update the number in my tool manager right away, but when I exit the toolpath it is usually right. Not right at all, but it might be a work around...

post-19447-0-78925500-1325262962_thumb.png

+1 Jeremy, I am just used to not touching those fields, I was taught to set the tool & offset # when defining the tool, then just click it (the tool) when creating the op. Tough to change old habits.

The check in my post eliminates any chances of this bug making it to the floor.

Is it me or have tool/offset #'s always been a major PITA. Is it just too much to ask to type in a number and have it stay there?

Mike

It used to be.

I started adding this:

tloffno$ = t$

tlngno$ = t$

to my "Additional General Output Settings" in my posts years ago because I would always get that inadvertant D or H that was wrong because I would forget to change the number in the tool definition.

For machines that need a number added to the tool number I use:

tloffno$ = t$+50 (or whatever you need to add)

tlngno$ = t$

Now I don't have to worry about it and they always post out correctly.

I have been having a boat load of trouble with one of the most fundamental aspects of this software.

I am going out on a limb and call it my own fault. (lack of proper training).

For the life of me lately I cannont get the offset #'s to stick in lathe (X6).

What is the "proper" way to define this? Most (99%) of the tools I use are custom tools that I have drawn and defined.

I'll define the tool and then go to the parameters tab and enter my desired tool and offset number. I will have (example) one tool as T0303 then another as T0313... most of the time I have an issue it would be the T0313 changing to T0303. (seems random, cant reproduce yet, but this has bit me about 6 times since I started with X6.)

3 operations into it, I'll notice the offset number has changed.

Anyone else having probles like this?

Whats the most "foolproof" way to get the offset numbers to stick to their respective tools?

"Lock feedrates in config", "assign tool #'s sequentially" in the tool settings branch of the operations manager? Should I define the tools as I go along, or define them all up front then pick em as I make the operations.

Any advise is appreciated.

This bug has been there since the first X release.

What I do is set the tool and offset number for Lathe Tools as you are and then I save it to the library before

navigating away from the tool dialogue.

• 1 year later...

This is also a big problem with the mill side & posts. Editing the tool then exiting with the green check mark button does not save the new data from "Dia. offset number" or the "Length offset number" fields. There needs to be a selection somewhere that ignores forcing the field to be some kind of default but always accepts what is input in the fields by the user.

We will use a tool with multiple H heights but only one D number. (example: T4 will be used in G56 with H6, G57 with H7 & G58 with H8 and D6. The D number will always be the same first H number used with that tool. This makes it easy for the operator & setup personnel to find the D right across the screen from the H). The D number has no reason to be different for the other work stations if using the same tool. If so, there is a problem with the program or setup.

I strongly recommend you get your dealer to look into that. What you are saying is not something I have seen or heard others having. I understand what you are doing, and know you needed to come up something that everyone felt worked, but without being able to see it step by step would be hard for me to pinpoint where the exact issue might be you are seeing.

HTH

Editing the tool then exiting with the green check mark button does not save the new data from "Dia. offset number" or the "Length offset number" fields. There needs to be a selection somewhere that ignores forcing the field to be some kind of default but always accepts what is input in the fields by the user.

I suggest to force regen the operation after you change anything in and even if it not goes dirty.

If so, there is a problem with the program or setup.

You can setup a logic in post to check offsets and/or build a detailed toolist at begining of NC code with ALL offsets in NC code.

I'm intrigued...

:cheers:

Me too... :)