Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pick Off / Cut Off, a great feature in X6

Chris Rizzo

Any lathe & mill/turn guys, the new pick off cut off utility is really, really nice. It is fast and easy now to do several types of stock transfers. Highly recommend trying it out. The help is pretty good too. A few tips:

- Needs x6 post, or mods to previous posts

- Define both main and sub chucks.

- Define stock in main.

It will even create a new view with shifted orign for sub work!

Any lathe & mill/turn guys, the new pick off cut off utility is really, really nice. It is fast and easy now to do several types of stock transfers. Highly recommend trying it out. The help is pretty good too. A few tips:

- Needs x6 post, or mods to previous posts

- Define both main and sub chucks.

- Define stock in main.

It will even create a new view with shifted orign for sub work!

This a good news and a plus for the software.

However, it is probably too little and too late to make any difference for MTM users.

MTM for Mastercam is a ship that has sailed - into oblivion.

Just keep telling yourself that and when it passes you by do not wonder why. :whistle: :whistle:

Please, If CNC was actually going to provide the robust MTM product it promised, it would have done so already.

Why is it so difficult for you to admit that CNC has dropped the ball in this regard?

The new pick-off functionality is good but it's something that the competition has had for quite some time.

When Mastercam can handle this then I'll get excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6qUvP2m5Pc&feature=player_embedded

Forgive me if I don't get all warm and fuzzy about CNC playing catch-up with the market. ;)

Chris,

Thanks for the tip. When we finally load up X6 (I'm a little gun shy of this release) I'll give it a twirl. Any improvement in lathe is welcomed.

I do agree with saipen for the most part though. We've been led on for way too long in regards to lathe to be overly excited with an improvement that should have come along with X2 at the latest. I can just hear the conversations now, "baby steps, baby steps."

It's not abandoned but I know better than to make any commitments!

Tyler,

We paid up for maintenance once again but it took some doing. We are looking at new equipment that will require more than Mcam can give us at this time. Much more delay will see the boss man choosing another direction. It is what it is.

Too bad someone can't make a commitment.

Tyler,

We paid up for maintenance once again but it took some doing. We are looking at new equipment that will require more than Mcam can give us at this time. Much more delay will see the boss man choosing another direction. It is what it is.

Too bad someone can't make a commitment.

Yep it's understandable - I can't knowingly deliver a timeframe (not so much my place either), especially with the MTM history as it is. I'm young coming into this conversation

SAIPEM, what is the first software package there? Yeah they both are very impressive, to say the least. (maybe the next mcam toolpath addition should be the "door open" misc op :D)...... However even mill simulation in mastercam is sketchy at best. Although an integrated backplot verify is on it's way (whoops sorry for the leak). It better be dam robust is all I have to say.

Well for those of us bound to using mcam, pickoff/cutoff is a nice bone thrown our way. You can literally do a nice cutoff, pickoff and stock transfer in about 10 seconds (just don't verify it, backplot fine :wallbash: )

SAIPEM, what is the first software package there? Yeah they both are very impressive, to say the least. (maybe the next mcam toolpath addition should be the "door open" misc op :D)...... However even mill simulation in mastercam is sketchy at best. Although an integrated backplot verify is on it's way (whoops sorry for the leak). It better be dam robust is all I have to say.

Well for those of us bound to using mcam, pickoff/cutoff is a nice bone thrown our way. You can literally do a nice cutoff, pickoff and stock transfer in about 10 seconds (just don't verify it, backplot fine :wallbash: )

The first one is GibbsCAM.

That's right, I said GibbsCAM! :smoke:

The second is TopSolid.

As I understand it, TopSolid is now offering a competitive upgrade path.

Mastercam is coming to the MTM party.

True, they are 6 or seven years late.. but they will show up.

Whether it will be new cutting edge stuff.. or V9 with lipstick, I have no idea. :rolleyes:

All I'm worried about is that it's going to be yet another cost added feature that won't be included with maintenance. I honestly wouldn't even try to sell mastercam to the boss at that point.

All I'm worried about is that it's going to be yet another cost added feature that won't be included with maintenance. I honestly wouldn't even try to sell mastercam to the boss at that point.

I'm guessing there would be a revolt if after telling us for too many years to count that they would make it added cost. I hope that isn't their plan or many mouths that have been silently waiting will surely speak out in unison.

• 4 weeks later...