Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem drawing simple geometry

Rocketmachinist

try use ...

Along Relative Position ribbon bar

Use this ribbon bar to create an AutoCursor position relative to an existing entity. First, select an entity. (Use the ribbon bar's Select button to re-select an entity.) Then enter a value into the ribbon bar's Length field. You can also specify a length by clicking in the graphics window. Mastercam places an AutoCursor point at the selected location.

Well, that gives me a 2" length of the arc, but I was trying to anchor the beginning line at 90 degrees and have a strait line that is 2 inches in length.

stillnotworking.jpg

The drafting length is the one that I am going for. Bear, when I use your method the analyzed dimension (which is the arc) is the number that comes out to be 2" and the liner distance between them is .007 too short.

What you're trying to do and the way that you're expample shows that you're going about it is pretty easy to do... in SolidWorks.

MasterCam however, does'nt seem to go about it as directly though.

What I would is draw your 14.5" diameter circle, then go to "create points segment", make your distance 2" in the "distance" dialog box, select your circle geo, and click the green check box.

This places points in 2" increments along your circle geo. Now you can now break your circle geo at the points to get the 2" arc the you're looking for.

Be aware, the starting point, I believe, is at 0deg. and goes clockwise so if you want your point segments to start at 90deg. you'll probably have to start with an arc that has an end point at 90deg.

Oscar is right, I think my brain was in Solidworks format. There are many ways to draw that kind of geometry and I found many ways to draw this up. I was sitting there for like 10 minutes trying to figure out the way to draw this in the way that made the most sense to me. It didn't seem like that big of a deal to draw the way I was trying, but I have realized using Mastercam there are some ways that you are forced to complete a task. I think I should submit a feature request form to Mastercam.

'Super easy, Draw a 14.5 diameter circle on the origin. analyze it, change the cirumfrence in the 3d field to 2.00"

Let us know how this works out....

Am I missing something or are you messing with me??

Super easy,

Draw a 14.5 diameter circle on the origin. analyze it, change the cirumfrence in the 3d field to 2.00

"Circumference is not chord length."

Free beer for Keith. And Ninja is buying.

'Am I missing something or are you messing with me??'

Yes to both questions. :whistle:

"this is OLD school drafting at its finest, draw a 4" circle at one end point, and then connect the center of that circle with the intersection of the 2 diameters."

Spot on. LOL, I still have some drafting tools in my box.

" I think my brain was in Solidworks format. There are many ways to draw that kind of geometry and I found many ways to draw this up. I was sitting there for like 10 minutes trying to figure out the way to draw this in the way that made the most sense to me. It didn't seem like that big of a deal to draw the way I was trying, but I have realized using Mastercam there are some ways that you are forced to complete a task. I think I should submit a feature request form to Mastercam."

Constraints in MC would be a awesome upgrade. I find myself doing just the opposite as well. Although some may disagree, sketching in SW could benefit from the Xform tools concept used in MC.

It's all good, MCM.

Although some may disagree, sketching in SW could benefit from the Xform tools concept used in MC.

OK, I'll bite. I disagree. :p

You can find many of the functions used in MC Xfrom on the sketcher toolbar in SolidWorks, and most everything else in the "Feature" and "Pattern/Mirror" toolbars. Try right clicking on your geo in a sketch and you'll find more similar functions.

In all honestly I find things I can do easier and faster in Mastecam when I'm programming a part and inseated of going back and forth betweeen the two, but I occasionally MC reminds me that it's main function is CAM and not CAD.

"Circumference is not chord length."

Free beer for Keith. And Ninja is buying.

'Am I missing something or are you messing with me??'

Yes to both questions. :whistle:

"this is OLD school drafting at its finest, draw a 4" circle at one end point, and then connect the center of that circle with the intersection of the 2 diameters."

Spot on. LOL, I still have some drafting tools in my box.

" I think my brain was in Solidworks format. There are many ways to draw that kind of geometry and I found many ways to draw this up. I was sitting there for like 10 minutes trying to figure out the way to draw this in the way that made the most sense to me. It didn't seem like that big of a deal to draw the way I was trying, but I have realized using Mastercam there are some ways that you are forced to complete a task. I think I should submit a feature request form to Mastercam."

Constraints in MC would be a awesome upgrade. I find myself doing just the opposite as well. Although some may disagree, sketching in SW could benefit from the Xform tools concept used in MC.

It's all good, MCM.

If I ever meet Keith I will buy him a beer. I appriciate that he took a second to point out my error so I can LEARN which is the whole point of being on these forums. I have no issues with someone giving me a hard time if I make a mistake or do something stupid as long as it is followed with something constructive. You sir were just making fun of me and that is so 90's. Also this site has an awesome multiquote feature in the lower Right of the posts you may in the future find this usefull END RANT..

"I appriciate that he took a second to point out my error so I can LEARN which is the whole point of being on these forums. I have no issues with someone giving me a hard time if I make a mistake or do something stupid as long as it is followed with something constructive. You sir were just making fun of me and that is so 90's."

No sir, I was not making fun of you. What I did do was make you and perhaps several others think about what was taking place, which at times can be far more productive that spoon feeding some one an anwser. Yours was not the only reply in this topic to mis interpret the question. Now sir, you are learning, as I still do when I'm reading this forum. Of course, I tried your suggestion, learned a new tool, and saw where you were coming from. My presence in this forum often denotes sarcasm, irony, and sheer ignorance after a few cold ones. You sir, were by no means singled out.

As a matter of fact, I look forward to learning from you again, sir, in the near future. (see how the sarcasm works? ;) )

It's all good, MCM.