Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can not determine source of alarm on VMC

Chris91

We've been going round and round with CNC Software and Haas's application department. Once we got in touch with the right people they have been very helpful, we just don't have a solution yet. So, while we are still working that angle we figured we'd post the issue here.

We have 3 Haas VMC, super mill, VF1 & VF2SS. We have been getting alarm 304, "Invalid I, J or K in G02 or G03 radius at start must match radius at end of arc within 0.001 inches". We get the alarm on all 3 machines but it is more frequent on the VF1 (oldest machine). The programs we are running are for molds so it is all 3D machining and the programs are one and done. The run time on the programs can be anywhere from 4 hours to 40 hours, just depends upon the complexity of the geometry. We do not believe that it is an issue with our programs because after the alarm is thrown we can delete the section of the program that has already run and typically finish the program with out issue. On some of the longer programs we need to do this 2-3 times. Haas applications seemed to think it was some type of rounding/tolerance issue. CNC Software was able to recreate the alarm with our program and has been trying to make some adjustments to our post file.

Does anyone else having any insight as to what might be going on? Is there some type of tolerance/rounding setting that we are not aware of that would accumulate until it reached the allowable limit on the machines?

Thanks for your help,

Tim

On the tolerance page of your Control Def.... change the NC Precision (step value) to .00001

I have had this problem in the past with older controls and this solved it.

Thanks for the input. We tried what you suggested and it did not work. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

I have had this problem in the past with older controls and this solved it.

+1 on that. I've had the same thing happen with molds running on haas. It's been a while but I seem to recall having to open up my tolarence on these types of programs.

I would play around a bit with the filter and total tolarence setting a bit.

We do not believe that it is an issue with our programs because after the alarm is thrown we can delete the section of the program that has already run and typically finish the program with out issue. On some of the longer programs we need to do this 2-3 times.

I'm reaching here, but if you're able to delete the code that's already been run at continue with no issues, I'd look into your look ahead limits or lag in DNC if you're using that.

Our tolerances are in the attached file. The lines of code are in the other file. This problem, it seems, has got worse with every newer version of Mastercam. I don't know if something was mastakenly changed in the machine definition or somewhere else. It's driving us crazy. We have lost at least 6 to 8 days of work because of this problem.

Thanks for the replies

TOLERANCES.pdf

CODE.pdf

It looks like it's not going back to the G17 plane. Try adding a G17 before the line that alarms and see if that helps....John

^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^

the previous tool is doing arcs is in the XZ plane

and there is no G17 before you do an arc in the XY plane..

adding a G17 should fix this block of code.. but the post needs to be fixed so

the G17, G18 AND G19 are posted when required