Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plugging in and using a wire USB hasp without removing my mill USB hasp

Thad

I'm running X2 MR2 mill level 1 and our wire guy is using X6. I may have to do some programming for the wire when he's off. I'd like to do everything on my PC and just plug in the wire hasp when needed. Will there be any conflicts with having both hasps plugged in at the same time?

Thad

Roger,

If I had two plugged in, any idea if it will look for the USB or parallel hasp first? I forgot I had a parallel hasp and our wire seat is USB. Maybe if it looks for USB first, I can plug the wire USB into the side of my monitor when needed? I'm just trying to avoid getting on the floor to have to take off the parallel hasp every time I need to do some wire programming. ;)

Thad

I do not know which it will look for first.

Quickest way to find out is to test it. :unsure:

OK, I'll have to install X6 and give it a try then. I was hoping maybe you computer guys who know what goes on in the bowels of computers would know of some hierarchy or processing order, if such a thing even exists. Thanks for your input. It's good to know MC won't like both hasps.

Thad

Doing fine, Rick. Just very busy.

Since the wire room uses X6, I want to keep it consistent. It's not a matter of being able to open files from different versions. We have wire on one hasp (used downstairs in the wire room) and mill on my hasp (upstairs in the office). The wire room PC is slower, has no spaceball, has a small monitor, not to mention dicking around with toolbars/config settings, etc. That's why I'd like to plug the hasp into my PC and do wire programming when required. Just as sure as death and taxes, someone will need something programmed for the mill when I'm doing wire work. I'm trying to find the best setup for this without having to climb under the desk (insert joke here) to switch hasps.

Thad

I'd like to plug the hasp into my PC and do wire programming when required.

Thad,

That's all you would need to do, if you want to keep running X2 or install X6,...

What Rodger was saying is you don't want to have both stand alone hasps plugged in at the same time. The hasp doesn't care if you're X2 or X6 if the maint is up to date.

I want to keep using X2 for mill. The only reason the wire seat was updated to X6 is because there were hard drive issues on that PC so things were wiped clean. Then my boss told me to install the latest version. So, for me to fill in here and there, I want to keep all wire files as MC6 while I continue to use X2 for mill.

This would've been my ideal situation...not program for the wire machines at all. Oops, did I say that out loud? :whistle: What I meant to say was my ideal situation would be to leave my mill parallel hasp plugged directly into my PC permanently. When the occasional time came up to program wire, I would get the USB hasp from downstairs and plug it into the side of my monitor, which is a very convenient place to plug it in. MC would automatically read the USB hasp first, ignoring that I still had the parallel hasp plugged in. If someone needed something programmed for the mill, I would unplug the wire USB hasp and MC would recognize the mill hasp and allow me to program. When I was done, I would plug the wire USB hasp back in and continue programming wire. What version of mill or wire I'm using has no effect on anything. There would be no need for extension cords because the only swapping I'd be doing is right in front of me on the side of my monitor. That would be perfect. If the back of my PC were more accessible, I wouldn't even consider any of this. I would just swap hasps when needed.

Before I can even try anything, I've got to install X6 (and deal with all the problems that may cause) which I don't have time for right now.

Thad

This my sound stupid but if you do have a network, this sounds like a good scenario for Nethasp, that way you wouldn't have to do all the hasp plug/unplug. I know it will cost but will let you use your mill or wire in any computer on the network and it will only take the license for the product you're using while the other one remains free to be pulled from somewhere else

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I can't believe you still use a Paralell HASP. That's just blows my mind. I didn't think they worked on anything past V9. Learn somethign new everyday.

If I had two plugged in, any idea if it will look for the USB or parallel hasp first? I forgot I had a parallel hasp and our wire seat is USB.

many moons ago there was some documentation about shortcuts you could add to the end of the Mastercam shortcut which controlled which kind of hasp Mastercam searched for. At least I think that was... I just can't remember right now! I'll have a look around for it.

EDIT:

Looks like I was mistaken - think I got mixed up with NetHasp overrides which you can use to force Mastercam to search for a local hasp vs a network one. Sorry!

I can't believe you still use a Paralell HASP. That's just blows my mind. I didn't think they worked on anything past V9.

Parallel Hasp4 will run the X software - however when was the last time you saw a new computer with a parallel printer port. B)

Having one license on a nethasp doesn't make much sense, but we have them as well.