Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

VIDEO CARDS

Millertime

Ok I am using a NVIDIA QUADRO FX 4600 card that I am using in my pc wich seems to work really nice.My co-worker just got a new machine that has an ati card wich seems to be not as good with verify.My question is what is the differance between these two cards.I am trying to justify this to our IT. guy he seems to think that It does not matter performance wise.Its and ATI 5600 card.

THanks,

ATi and Mastercam do NOT play well together.

This forum is littered with stories of people having issues.

The single biggest thing he can do is go into his config >> screen and disable the hardware acceleration.

It kind of neuters the graphics but lets the ATi run "better", better being a relative term.

Mastercam is an OpenGL application and Quadro cards support Open G/L

you can get that ATI card to run by turning off hardware acceration, but you're loosing all the performance you

paid for buying that high end ATI card..

If you can , swap it out for one of the new Quardo cards

That is exactly what we did (disable hardware acceleration)Do you run with that setting enabled?When I enable that setting on my computer (with the fx4600)card I noticed when I highlight a shaded surface there Is some delay.I wonder if there Is a setting I am missing? I have my card setting to quality.

Guest JP @ Cimquest

I found that every CAD/CAM pakage I have used has issues with ATI cards. I have no idea why this is, and I have never really cared enough to find out either. I just always replaced them with a good Nvidia card.

In a nutshell, it's the OpenGL support.

ATi doesn't spend the effort to support it as thoroughly as NVIDIA does, thus the Nvidia Quadro's do carry a higher price tag.

That's really what it comes down to the driver support on the card.

Ati drivers are notoriously bad. This is the main reason that I will never buy an Ati card again.

If the pc is a dell and you are using the dell ati drivers, dump them and go to a non bastardized ati driver and you will get better results using acceleration. I do not have it diabled and successfully use an ati card. But I had to dump the most recent dell driver to use it.

Husker

P.S. I am using driver version 8.701.0.0 from ati...

If the pc is a dell and you are using the dell ati drivers, dump them and go to a non bastardized ati driver and you will get better results using acceleration. I do not have it diabled and successfully use an ati card. But I had to dump the most recent dell driver to use it.

Husker

P.S. I am using driver version 8.701.0.0 from ati...

^^^^ +1 ^^^^^

this applies to Dell workstations with Nvidia (Quadro) cards as well.

Uninstall the Dell drivers and run Nvidia factory drivers

To break it down cleaner

FX Cards = Workers

GeForce Cards = Gamers

a "good" Nvidia gaming card, not the one out of the $5 bin on clearance, don't laugh I've seen this before, can run Mastercam acceptably.

I still run at home on twin GTS 8800 cards

If you are going to run a ATI card you need to go with the Fire GL series being there high end Cad cards but when you can go with the Quadros in the first place.

Not just the Nvivda as they of course make the gamer cards and the Quadro.

Over the years tested allot of cards with MC and yes allot of the Nvivda gamer cards worked well and of coures got better with the quadros.

But as John stated don't buy the $50 special to run the $20,000 Cad-Cam system.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Are you kidding ? I always run an Nvidia on my home systems and it rocks on games. I much prefer their cards over ATI. I always found them to be a bit buggy.

I should have prefaced that with saying the few gamers I know prefer the ATI. Allegedly they have faster frame rates than the NVidia's... so they say anyway. My stuff still blows their crap out of the water though so I just LOL @ them.

I should have prefaced that with saying the few gamers I know prefer the ATI. Allegedly they have faster frame rates than the NVidia's... so they say anyway. My stuff still blows their crap out of the water though so I just LOL @ them.

Framerate depends on alot of things....the game,cpu,ram,hdd, and every computer is different in a million different ways.

The MAIN reason Nvidia is currently blowing ATI away is driver support for current and upcoming games.

ATI just doesn't pump out good drivers fast enough, even though on some games ATI blows away Nvidia.

ATI cards are still cheaper than their counterpart, usually by a lot.