Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Blade Expert

JAMMAN

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Anarchy for Uk! Sorry sex pistols moment. ROR! Seriously though James is spot on.

Just as I hit the reply button Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK came on... :thumbsup:

Uhhh... no comment... :welcome:

But Seriously the way I was taught and the way I teach is WCS is for when you physically move the part, if the machine move the part top top top. Jus sayin'... :harhar:

I used to to it the dumb way too.... ;)

I was never taught i just learn it. :)

rip a customers part into 3 to 8 mold designed components and place each on in top wcs.

but then ec's take so d@mn long, repeating that process when you can separate

the entire part without moving a d@m thing and reprogram each component (with

verify out to lunch) is 10 times faster just picking the wcs for each component.

Knowing that it is aluminum, I can agree with James. Wes makes a good point too though. Karlo and Gene have thrown the gauntlet down though, and I know why. Talk is cheap. You heard 'em folks, challenge them! They are up for it. ;)

Ok -> I challenge them to cut with BE using a bull mill. Crossing my fingers here :whistle:

The system they used as the benchmark is able to do a lot of nice stuff with bull mills... :cough: Hyper :cough: German :cough: too :cough:

Just saying...

Ok -> I challenge them to cut with BE using a bull mill. Crossing my fingers here :whistle:

The system they used as the benchmark is able to do a lot of nice stuff with bull mills... :cough: Hyper :cough: German :cough: too :cough:

Just saying...

In hyper.... only Flank Milling ( SWARF ) and Plung Roughing by default supports bullnose tools. But if you know the hidden - and powerful - cfg-parameters you can open up for bullnose on all the multiblade cycles :thumbsup:

Ummmm, this part is not particularly difficult, the material is aluminum, and tolerances are +/-.005

Cutting chips in one hour including my CAMplete Simulation so I know that thinngs won't go bump and that my feed rates are leveled... ONE HOUR!

If that offends some, well, then that's a you problem.

I'm not offended James, but I am being realistic as well. This sounds more like something you would hear/see at a trade show in a software manufaturers booth.

In "my world" I don't assume anything... There are a lot of variables that are unknown... I don't know how big the part is. I don't know what material it's made of. I don't know what the tolerances are. I don't know if the model is correct.

In "my world" the model has to be checked to the print (print is god), setup sheets have to be created, tool lists have to be created, program needs to be written. I don't assume that the model files provided by the tooling manufacurers are correct (if they even have models). If the tool holder is not in my library then I check it dimensionaly and make sure it is correct. I run the program in vericut. Then I run the program through TWS optimization. After optimization the program needs to be run through vericut once again. Only then is the program ready to be release to the floor.

That being said, sure I could throw a toolpath on the model in 1 hour using 1 ball endmill (bad choice IMO), but no way in hell would I put my name in the header of that program and release it on the floor. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1
Guest SAIPEM

Just saying...

When it comes to 5-Axis Milling, nothing can touch HyperMill when it comes to collision avoidance.

I'm sure Karlo is confident in Blade Expert but it's an overpriced solution considering the market and the tools currently available.

No bullnose support is a non-starter.

PS- Were still waiting for the Mastercam MTM Product :sofa:

+10 to Rob

our blades are generally +/- .001 and made from Inconnel and have to be a polished 9 micro when done. So, I'll take your 1 hr gramming time and use it for toilet paper. Scrap a part? you dont just throw it under the bench and start over. We have some forgings here that are $12,000 each just for the material. Only a fool will say they can whip out a program for that in no time and have it all ready to go.

Nice sales pitch James, I'll give you that

:band:

I think you guys are reading into what James said a bit too much

This part programmed in 15 minutes with Blade Expert...

Doing it using conventional methods... probably closer to an hour.

Programmed.. prooogrammed .. he didn't say anything about shop floor ready, and which part of the program polishes the blade?

or maybe he is, in which case ...

he didn't say anything about shop floor ready

Really???

Cutting chips in one hour including my CAMplete Simulation so I know that thinngs won't go bump and that my feed rates are leveled... ONE HOUR!

Like I said throwiing a toolpath on a model is a piece a cake. Even a 6 year old could do that :rolleyes:

really Tyler ?

Ummmm, this part is not particularly difficult, the material is aluminum, and tolerances are +/-.005

what did we miss ?

I'm assuming James is cutting parts on a machine he sets up/uses for a variety of purposes

Our parts are extremely expensive and when it comes to programming I assume nothing. The devil is in the details. No shortcuts should be taken anywhere.

15 years ago something like Blade Expert was science fiction. Today we're whining cause there is

no bull nose support. I can remember writing BASIC do loops to mill a simple pocket on a CAM systems with no mouse,

64K of RAM and a 110K 8" floppy drive for storage. I get frustrated with MC all the time, but I stand in awe

of the progress I've seen in the last 20 years... and hope I can stay around to see what the next 20 years bring.

One thing I love about this field is that it ALWAYS weeds out the BS artists.

The machine, the cutters and the the metal are uncompromising judges. They don't repsond to BS,

they don't even hear it. They dance to gcode..... or not.

• Like 1
Guest SAIPEM

15 years ago something like Blade Expert was science fiction. Today we're whining cause there is

no bull nose support. I can remember writing BASIC do loops to mill a simple pocket on a CAM systems with no mouse,

64K of RAM and a 110K 8" floppy drive for storage. I get frustrated with MC all the time, but I stand in awe

of the progress I've seen in the last 20 years... and hope I can stay around to see what the next 20 years bring.

Testify.

I remember using Bridgeport EZ-MILL on NEC with Dual 8-Inch drives and CalComp Digitizer instead of a mouse.

MC in particular made HUGE strides in 5-axis during that transitional time between V7,V8, & V9.

Prior to that SURFCAM got all the press for 5-axis work on a PC.

You had to move up to NCL, UG or CATIA to do anything complicated in the least.

Still, Blade Expert would be easier to sell if it handled real-world roughin with bull-nosed tooling.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

+10 to Rob

our blades are generally +/- .001 and made from Inconnel and have to be a polished 9 micro when done. So, I'll take your 1 hr gramming time and use it for toilet paper. Scrap a part? you dont just throw it under the bench and start over. We have some forgings here that are $12,000 each just for the material. Only a fool will say they can whip out a program for that in no time and have it all ready to go.

Nice sales pitch James, I'll give you that

:band:

Who said ANYTHING about whipping out a program for inconel in no time??? I certainly did not. I told y'all what the specs for this particular part were and they were nowhere near what your specs are. This is a low speed, low temp, non-critical part. Profile tolerance is even very generous. So, with that said, I stand by cutting THIS (reading is fundamental folks) part within in hour would not be a problem using blade expert.

I stand by cutting THIS (reading is fundamental folks) part within in hour would not be a problem using blade expert.

Oh, my bad. so NOW you can CUT the part within an hour

(writing is fundamental)

:guitar:

It's all good James, we're not doubting your extreme quickieness

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oh, my bad. so NOW you can CUT the part within an hour

(writing is fundamental)

:guitar:

It's all good James, we're not doubting your extreme quickieness

I didn't say cut complete within in hour, I just said it would be cutting within an hour, yes, indeed reading is fundamental.