Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tools for CNC lathe

Hi guys,

We are very new on CNC lathe. We just got one simple 2 axis cnc lathe . Can you, lathe-gurus ,to give some advise what type (kit) of cutters –holders we have to buy for general use - just to start .

I am so sorry if my question looks stupid to some one .

Thank you in advance

For general purpose turning, you would want to get an 80 degree diamond style tool. I prefer the trigon style toolholders where you get 6 corners per insert. You would also want to get a 55 degree tool and possibly a 35 degree. A part-off tool is generally a common tool. OD grooving tool where you can use grooving inserts as well as threading inserts. Boring bars are dependant on the type of work you do.

For turning tools, my preference is Kennametal, Sandvik, and Seco, but there are tons of great choices out there.

Carmen

The 80 degree CNMG tool will most likely be your bread and butter tool (depending on your work).

Cobalt coolant thru spade drills are nice and cheap (we use the Acme brand)

Sandvik has really good tooling for Stainless Steel,and really good carbide indexable drills.

Give them a call and have a rep come out and give you a quote to tool up your lathe.

The 80 degree CNMG tool will most likely be your bread and butter tool (depending on your work).

+1, CNMG 431/432 holders are throughout our shop, CNC and engine lathes. 4 good sides, tons of different MFGR's make the inserts and the holders. I get the kennametal in KC850 for just under 5 bucks each thru Hemley Tool and at that price we do just about everything with them from aluminum to 300M.

I have boring bars from 3/4 dia to 2" dia that take the same insert.