Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool, Holder combos not sticking

GoetzInd

Ok, running X6 Mu1 and I still find that holders have a complete mind of their own. Tools will swap holders and often I will get prompted if I want to make a change to all tools that use the holder when I have made NOOOOO tool or holder changes in the op. I always select only this tool because 9 times outa 10 this is an indicator that MC has spontaneously switched a holder/tool combo. I don't see too many people sounding the alarm on these holder issues. Are there just not a lot of people extensively using holders or am I the only one seeing these issues?

P.S. Going through ea. OP individually to check if the right holder is a real blast on a part with 200 OPS.

Mike

Agreed it is a P.O.S I have to use it for the holder clearance option.I have found that once the program is written and gouged checked if you back in and look at youre holder you get error messages.Selected holder does not match want to update?Want to create a new tool?I just want the freekin thing to work. :wallbash: !!!!!!

I don't use them for that reason. If I have a clearance issue I will use it but other than that it is a waste of time for me. I would really like to see them tied to the tool not the op. when that happens I will start using them.

IMO, Tool Holders are unusable at this point. The only solution I have found, is to go back to Custom Tools. I have wasted so much time on Tool Holders...I feel stupid!

The Tool Holder should be in/on the Tool Definition. It's as simple as that. We should be able to select a holder and then forget about it.

Mike

I use them without many problems. I run into hiccups when I copy an operation, then change the tool in that operation without changing the holder. All of our parts have horrible clearance issues with spindle housings and fixtures, so the positive of the holder definitions far outweigh the annoyances for me.

Something else to make your life easier: If you have two (or ten) different tools that are using a 4 inch ER16 holder, create a duplicate of that holder and select it each time you make a new tool.

Hello Joe788,

Something else to make your life easier: If you have two (or ten) different tools that are using a 4 inch ER16 holder, create a duplicate of that holder and select it each time you make a new tool.

Yes, this is work around and I can see how this would work as the software is getting confused when using the same holder on more than one tool. The issue is that I am making large programs with many tools. Many of the tools are used more than once. The part file must also be able to migrate through future versions of Mastercam. It's a toss up. Deal with the holder issue and the possibility of an error, or use a Custom Tool which will work without fail. I think it depends....?

Thank you for your info.

Mike

Hello Joe788,

Yes, this is work around and I can see how this would work as the software is getting confused when using the same holder on more than one tool. The issue is that I am making large programs with many tools. Many of the tools are used more than once. The part file must also be able to migrate through future versions of Mastercam. It's a toss up. Deal with the holder issue and the possibility of an error, or use a Custom Tool which will work without fail. I think it depends....?

Thank you for your info.

Mike

Kickin' it old school with the custom tools is always a solid way to do it, but isn't right clicking, and "Duplicate Holder" easier than creating a custom tool?

Technically, you're not really using the same ER16 holder fourteen times in one program. It's 14 different holders of the same style, so I can see how somebody criss-crossed that at CNC Software. Keeping the holders with the tools will definitely be an improvement if it comes to fruition in X7.

Hello Joe,

Kickin' it old school with the custom tools is always a solid way to do it, but isn't right clicking, and "Duplicate Holder" easier than creating a custom tool?

Yes! I agree with you. But what if tool holders don't migrate properly to the new holder system that may be coming at some point? This would be a disaster for me.

Thanks

Hello Joe,

Yes! I agree with you. But what if tool holders don't migrate properly to the new holder system that may be coming at some point? This would be a disaster for me.

Thanks

Ahhh a very good point.

The only down side that I see with custom holders Is that they cannot be gouged checked or have a specified holder clearance wich kind of sucks.Holder clearance is nice because it trims passes to a given holder clearance.With a custom tool I know you can verify using simulate tool to look for gouges.Somtimes its pretty time consuming to create geo bounds and surfs to pull the holder away from the part. :coffee: