Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Graphics card question

Guyinthedesert

My computer at work has a high end ATI graphics card. When using MC, it works great, I've never had a problem with it, my only complaint has been verify speed. I recently went to do a side job at another shop. They were using a Dell, off the shelf POS, but they put, I believe, a Quadro 2000 video card in it. Even though the computers performance is less than half of mine, the speed in verify was outstanding.

So, I finally convinced our IT guy that I needed a video card that supports open G/L. We looked around, and couldn't find any Quadro cards anywhere, except onine. So IT guy bought a Geforce GTX560TI with 2gb ram.I figured this thing was really going to scream. I timed some toolpaths doing 5 axis surfacing, and to my surprise, the Geforce card was maybe 10% faster than the ATI card, at best.

Are there any settings we're missing? It's set for Open G/L, diable hardware accel and buffering unchecked. It like to just exchange it for a Quadro, is there anyplace you can just walk in and buy one?

• Like 2

You will not find them at a local electronics/appliance/computer store. I have seen them only on the internet. Amazon has some decent prices. The difference in verify time between a Quadro 600 and 2000 is not much to speak of. Try setting your moves/step and move/refreshes to 10 and sacrifice a little quality to gain some speed as shown below.

I did some testing a while back between a Quadro FX-580 and a Quadro FX-3700. There was a $500 difference but the FX-3700 card was only about 1 min faster on a 10 minute verify.

post-23209-0-71270200-1338226220_thumb.gif

The GeForce cards while they "support" OpenGL the implementation of it is NOT 100% and nowhere near as complete as the Quadro cards.

GeForces "can" work better than ATi's or "on-board" graphics but they'll never outperform a same level sister card out of the Quadro line because of the OpenGL support.

And I've never seen an "IT" guy that used the local "superstore" for their purchases, ;)

Not a frys in all states.

There seem to be 3 types of IT guys. Ones that know absolutely nothing and don't care to research, ones that know a lot and research, but are too cheap to implement anything over 100, and ones that really know their stuff but their company won't spend the money.

Our Fry's is called Microcenter.

Not a frys in all states.

There seem to be 3 types of IT guys. Ones that know absolutely nothing and don't care to research, ones that know a lot and research, but are too cheap to implement anything over 100, and ones that really know their stuff but their company won't spend the money.

Our Fry's is called Microcenter.

I think we have the 4th type of IT guy, he knows absolutely nothing, he's too cheap to spend over $100, and the company won't spend the money.

Make that 5... Know's nothing yet thinks gamer cards "should be good enough for CAD/CAM".

Make that 6, Knows a lot, but thinks gamer cards aren't good enough for Mastercam.

My GTX580Ti 2GB has no issues at all.

Not saying it's as good as a Quadro 5000, but I will bet that it's better than a lot of the Quadro's out there.

For the most intense models and applications, you will want a Quadro of course, but my card will bury a lot of the competition.

Since you all seem to know a bunch about this stuff, and I value your opinions, what do you think of the Quadro NVS 295?

That's what I have and it works well for me. I use verify minimally, but I have used it with STL compare on a few medium/smaller files with no issues.

Working on a 8MB file (parasolid model converted to surfaces) and dynamic rotation hicups for a split second here and there.

Since you all seem to know a bunch about this stuff, and I value your opinions, what do you think of the Quadro NVS 295?

It's an entry level Quadro that they don't make anymore ( at least I don't think they make them)

If it works well for you then keep it, I say.

But you will definitely notice a difference if you buy a newer one.

Working on a 8MB file (parasolid model converted to surfaces) and dynamic rotation hicups for a split second here and there.

I dream of having 8MB files....

Current file is now pushing... drum roll please... 104MB... Turning on shading takes about 6 or 7 seconds, but I aint counting :whistle:.

Dynamic rotation works fine as long as I turn down the chordal deviation and whatnot. I usually remove any wire frame that I don't need. This file before I removed the wireframes was 200MB plus change. I used to import with wireframes, now I don't, now I create them as needed. Helps keep things moving.

I have an ATI FirePro V4500 (FireGL). Works well, though verify sluggish at best... I have never had good experiences with verify except back in the days of simple billet 2.5D work before dynamic mill... At which point it was the deal. Though surfacing would take things to a crawl.

:coffee:

Husker

I dream of having 8MB files....

Current file is now pushing... drum roll please... 104MB... Turning on shading takes about 6 or 7 seconds, but I aint counting :whistle:.

Dynamic rotation works fine as long as I turn down the chordal deviation and whatnot. I usually remove any wire frame that I don't need. This file before I removed the wireframes was 200MB plus change. I used to import with wireframes, now I don't, now I create them as needed. Helps keep things moving.

I have an ATI FirePro V4500 (FireGL). Works well, though verify sluggish at best... I have never had good experiences with verify except back in the days of simple billet 2.5D work before dynamic mill... At which point it was the deal. Though surfacing would take things to a crawl.

:coffee:

Husker

You're the prime candidate for a higher end Quadro.

I can test an X5 file with my GTX580Ti if you want. and compare it to yours.

but it would have to be a test of strictly the GPU, our pc specs aren't identical,

Also, since you have the V4500, you can't buy it anymore (at least not on Newegg.com) the V4800 is $155.

If you want an upgrade without breaking your budget, look at this card

It's the V5800 for $370, and it's probably at least 2x the card you have now.

I can test an X5 file with my GTX580Ti if you want. and compare it to yours.

but it would have to be a test of strictly the GPU, our pc specs aren't identical,

What does your pc have under the hood?

I am thinking more RAM would be the answer to my speed issues not video card...

What does your pc have under the hood?

I am thinking more RAM would be the answer to my speed issues not video card...

i7 2600K stock clock speed.

120 GB Corsair SSD

8GB 1600MHZ RAM

EVGA GTX580Ti 2GB

How much RAM do you have?

Also your video card doesn't have much RAM either iirc.

I'm using a Quadro4000 and it does the job :) If you need to improve verify, it can be useful to decrease tool tolerance cause it has a major impact.

Anyway, as far as i know (from V9 to X3MU1) Mastercam verify is pretty slow with 5axis/ramping/helical toolpathes (perhaps it's been improved). Vericut handles these a lot faster...

The better question is, without spending the money for a high end Quadro, would it actually improve my performance / shading time???

Anyone with a hot-rod card care to test a file?

sure .. send it my way