Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How I should use Toolpath Group in Operation Manager

kool

Hello Everyone, Thanks in Advance for you opinion and input

I have be using Master Cam since version 6.0. you think I should know by now what is purpose of Tool path group, but i like to get opinion of all the other experince programmer out there.

I have been making a tool path group for every machine setup up untill last week. and it was easy for me to see and move my cuts around within a machining opp. but now my company want to standradize how we program in Master Cam. All other programmer in here move from Geo Path. what they like to do is create a tool path group for every single Tool, does not matter if you have only one cut for that tool and name that tool group as your tool number and tool name, so i have to do the same method. i just finish a program with over 60 tools and over 200 cuts. it took me a lot longer to program than it ussaly does. i find it realy hard to program, find and move my cuts around. i have attached a snap shot.

please feel free to add your method and opinion of best way to use these tool path group

Thanks once more

post-22284-0-49473200-1340994970_thumb.png

That seems odd what if you are using that tool in multi operations through out the program you know have to have the same tool group just used #1 and then used #2 and other things. I have done it that way, but it was a pretty straight forward job. For what you are doing yes to me it seems like a lot of extra work.

That seems odd what if you are using that tool in multi operations through out the program you know have to have the same tool group just used #1 and then used #2 and other things. I have done it that way, but it was a pretty straight forward job. For what you are doing yes to me it seems like a lot of extra work.

yes we are adding -1, -2 and so on for all tools. it is not just extra work, it disturb your rythem.i always think master cam is a feature or chain base software. where you focus on one feature or chain not the tool. that is why when you add a cut it ask you to pick chain not tool. unlike Geo path ask you to pick tool first.

I break my toolpaths up into groups based on machining regions. For example, when I am roughing a mold cavity,that will be one group. When I finish the cavity, I use another group. Then if I have work on the other faces, each of those will have their own group. It keeps things very neat and organized. Making a separate group for each toolpath is an odd approach, not to mention how cluttered the operation manager will become.

Carmen

• Like 1

I use toolpath groups based on operations/ work offsets/ index positioning for multiaxis,...

I even organize my levels manager to corrrespond with the operations manager.

Creating a new toolpath group for every tool seems a bit excessive,... :blink:

"I use toolpath groups based on operations/ work offsets/ index positioning for multiaxis,...

I even organize my levels manager to corrrespond with the operations manager.

Creating a new toolpath group for every tool seems a bit excessive,... :blink:"

That's the way I do it for the most part a well.

However, I current have to make most of my programs for the compay I'm at now with subprogram. So I find myself having to group tools that are used throughout the part with multiple ops and through different offsets. And that's where I find it easier to seperate tools through toolpath groups and transform only the paths I need into main programs.

Yes it is combersome and can get really confusing and time consuming, not to mention frustrating when your focuse is on getting a program out to the shop floor quickly.

If I hade the option, I would'nt do it that way.

Hello Everyone, Thanks in Advance for you opinion and input

I have be using Master Cam since version 6.0. you think I should know by now what is purpose of Tool path group, but i like to get opinion of all the other experince programmer out there.

I have been making a tool path group for every machine setup up untill last week. and it was easy for me to see and move my cuts around within a machining opp. but now my company want to standradize how we program in Master Cam. All other programmer in here move from Geo Path. what they like to do is create a tool path group for every single Tool, does not matter if you have only one cut for that tool and name that tool group as your tool number and tool name, so i have to do the same method. i just finish a program with over 60 tools and over 200 cuts. it took me a lot longer to program than it ussaly does. i find it realy hard to program, find and move my cuts around. i have attached a snap shot.

please feel free to add your method and opinion of best way to use these tool path group

Thanks once more

Are they doing it for the ability to name the toolpath group with details about the gage lengths, and diameters of the tool. I currently do this with the tool definition and it can also be done in the tooltable, which gets posted out with the codee. This is how I do mine:

post-23447-0-51499900-1341045466_thumb.png

Are they doing it for the ability to name the toolpath group with details about the gage lengths, and diameters of the tool. I currently do this with the tool definition and it can also be done in the tooltable, which gets posted out with the codee. This is how I do mine:

This is how i used to do. Other programmer here used to use Geo Path.Geo Path is design to group operations by tool number and name. In Geo Path, when you make a cut, it ask you what tool you want to use, you pick a tool from a list and it will add that cut under that tool.

Since they are used to of looking at the tool number, they want to use Mater Cam as Geo Path. and now on the name of standardization, they want me to do the same. and i find it really difficult and unnecessary. i don't know how to convince them that Master Cam tool-path group are not design to work as their Geo Path.

• Like 1

What happens when you decide to change what tool you're making a cut with? You're going to have cases where you're thinking "I should really change that 1/2 to a 3/8 just for that one op but then I'll have to reorganize everything" and it'll just be too much work to be worth the change, which means a less than optimal toolpath. When procedure detracts from productivity it's gone too far.

• Like 2