Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Posting to Textpad editor

Harryman

I'm using an editor called Textpad.

It is capable of having many documents open in a single session window, and if you double click a document icon while the software is running it always adds the new document into the current session.

When I post new code from MC, though, a new session of Textpad opens each time. I'm sure Textpad is capable of anouncing and accepting an update. Does anyone know how to set things to prevent the multiple sessions?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

I'll be heading to Oshkosh, WI this afternoon for the airshow cool.gif and will not be replying to any Friday postings till Monday morning.

Was using Textpad B4 Mastercam. I do lots of macro work using data generated via spreadsheet. Textpad has a Block Select feature, I'd call it Column Select. When the code is vertically aligned, one can make vertical edits. I'm trying to be old doggish and not learn a new editor. rolleyes.gif I s'pose I will if I must frown.gif .

Brent, I'll be right at the 50 yd line for the airshow on friday, just right of straight out from the trees near the band shell, wearing a floppy blue hat with mesh vented sides. Cell 651-261-9656 cheers.gif

Have you tired wordpad it works like note but better for larger files and may not do the mulit thing you say also go to window and see whta your file options for txt, nc extenstions and others are if they are all using the same default that will sometimes make windows override mastercam and open windows. I would also do an update on my windows and make sure you got all the latest and greats service packs for windows. good luck

Thanks Millman to the power of Crazy.

Textpad is a Brittish product and is not Windows Notepad. (Perhaps that is why Y'all think I'm goofy for not using Cimco. True: Notepad is stick and sand, compaired to Cimco.) I have it set as the default text editor in Windows for .TXT and .EIA files. That vertical cut and paste is the reason I need to keep using it, and I'd like to just use one editor if possible.

Harry

[ 07-31-2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Harryman ]

You can hack your posts to launch into any editor, however you can globally change the editor used in Mastercam with these steps:

Let's assume your editor's executable is named 'DAVEEDIT.EXE' for this example.

1 - Install DaveEdit to C:Mcam9CommonEditorsDaveEdit

2 - Edit Mill9.txt as follows:

[file edit]

(this line contains the Number of Editors listed - if you add one, make this bigger)

1. "5"

2. "MCEDIT"

3. "PFE32"

4. "CIMCOEDIT"

5. "NOTEPAD"

6. "DAVEEDIT"

(this 1 blank line must immediately follow the editors AND be numbered properly)

7. ""

3 - In Mastercam, Screen, Configure, Start/Exit, Editor, DaveEdit

You may also be able to skips some of these steps and Select 'Other' in Step 3, but it's convenient to have DaveEdit right in the menu.

Do you have any information on Daveedit?? I did an internet search and have not been able to find anything. I am also wondering if there are backplot funtions as well as global mathematics to allow us to change all our old legacy files just by pressing 3 buttons.

I need a more robust editor to allow Custom Macro B type programs to be generated along with buffer locations that "Simulate" and return results as the progams are being generated and offline proved...

This "AndrewEDIT" v3.1.2SPIV is currently in beta. Too bad the maintenance fees are a bejillion dollars each and every year.

Thanks for all the help.

Textpad is, and was, comming up as the editor when posting.

I followed the Dave script step-by-step...It still puts up a new session for each post proccessing event.

The textpad.exe was installed multiple places, and I recycled all but the one in Mcam...Textpad. Still getting multiples mad.gif

I guess I'll just live with it...Thanks again

quote:

Gotta run...Mazak salesman is knocking

Lock the door and put out the lights - maybe he will keep on driving.

The problem that you have seems like the TEXTPAD is having some issues with windows. I love the sound of a columnar edit cut and paste - perhaps PMGuy could use that function in the new ops manager.

Harryman,

As someone who as never used TextPad, I downloaded an eval. copy and in their Help is this ->

------------------

How to Use as the Editor for Other Applications

TextPad can easily be used as the editor for other applications. By using its dynamic data exchange (DDE) capabilities, each file to be edited can be opened in a new window, rather than starting another copy of TextPad.

The TextPad installation directory contains a program called DDEOPN32.EXE in the SYSTEM folder. This translates command line requests to open files into the appropriate DDE commands for TextPad. The first parameter must be the registered server name TextPad, and the second parameter is the file to open, with an optional line and column position immediately following in brackets.

Example 1:

To use TextPad as the editor for WinCIM 2, add the following line to the [General Preferences] section of WINCIM.INI:

Text-Editor=C:Program FilesTextPadSYSTEMDDEOPN32.EXE TextPad

Example 2:

To use TextPad as the editor for WinGrep, add the following line as the editor command on its Configure dialog box:

C:Program FilesTextPadSYSTEMDDEOPN32.EXE TextPad $f($l)

Example 3:

To use TextPad with Visual C++ 6, so that it edits the same active file as MSVC, customize the Tools menu of MSVC.EXE with the following command:

Command Line: C:Program FilesTextPadSYSTEMDDEOPN32.EXE

Menu Text: &TextPad

Parameters: TextPad $(FilePath)($(CurLine),$(CurCol))

Notes:

Whenever TextPad is reactivated, it checks the last modified date of each file that you are editing, and asks if it should reload any that have been changed by another application.

------------------

You can test this by creating a BATch file called TP.BAT that contains this one line ->

"C:Program FilesTextPad 4SystemDDEOPN32.EXE" TextPad %1

Now open a DOS (aka CMD) command window, CD into the folder that contains the TP.BAT and type a command like ->

TP C:TEMPMY_FILE1.NC [enter]

This will fire up TextPad (if NOT already open)

Now repeat the TP command using another filename ->

TP C:TEMPMY_FILE2.NC [enter]

TextPad will just open file file into the current session.

Sounds straight forward and it is, EXCEPT when you get Mastercam involved. MC expects the specified Editor to be an EXE file. That combined with TextPad's requirement of having 'TextPad' as the first argument to the DDEOPN32.EXE, and you're stuck. (At least for a simple solution)

---------------

As for columar editing - it definately is cool.

I used Multi-Edit for years with this feature.

Now use CodeWright, which also has this ability.

You just right-mouse click (and hold the button) and mark your text!

Rekd - Nope, just Mastercam and CIMCO for communications options.

Andrew - DaveEdit is complete vapourware, although a 3rd party developer in California reportedly has a copy that they're using in conjunction with the next full version of Mastercam. eek.gif

[ 08-01-2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

although a 3rd party developer in California reportedly has a copy that they're using in conjunction with the next full version of Mastercam.

ROFL!!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Anyone in the market for a bridge? Or some swampland???

Harryman,

I am also a big fan of Textpad and for the multiple sessions, you have to open Textpad and go: Configure-> Preferences. Under the general parameters, you have to uncheck the "Allow multiple sessions of Textpad" box.

PS. The wording might not be exactly right, what I gave you are translations because I am using the french version of textpad but the main idea is there.

Anyway, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Hope that helps,

The following VBScript works for me. To test create 5 text files names test1.txt. test2.txt, etc., on your C drive.

To help you with your problem add a call to the RunPostAll function and then open the resulting file in the TextPad. I would bind the script to a function key for quick and easy access.

code:

'///////////////// My Constants /////////////////

DEF_PATH_TO_TEXTPAD = "C:Program FilesTextPad 4systemDDEOPN32.EXE"

DEF_DUMMY_FILE = "C:Test"

' -- Start Script

Call Main()

' ////////////////////

' Sub Declaration

' ////////////////////

Sub Main()

Dim intFile

Dim strFullpath

For intFile = 1 To 5

' --Build the path to each file

strFullpath = Chr(34) & DEF_PATH_TO_TEXTPAD & Chr(34) & " Textpad " & DEF_DUMMY_FILE & intFile & ".txt"

Call ShellAndWait(strFullpath, True)

Next

End Sub

[ 08-04-2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Mick G ]

Thanks Mick.

Thanks everyone.

For archival purposes, Posting to Textpad editor, preventing multiple sessions, is a done deal.

The correct answer is Dave Thompson's step by step script, and Marting's "uncheck the "Allow multiple sessions of Textpad" box."

The Forum rocks! cool.gif