Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Where's the good grammers ?

Jeremiah

Well my frist job on a CNC Machine was that I went in and they asked me do you think you can program and operate this machine. I said give me a book and I will figure it out. In one week I was doing things with the machine that they couldn't do and they had all been to Classes and had the Machine 8 months before I got there.

robk said

I'm in the process of training 3 employees right now. Right away I could tell that only one has potential... Some people just don't get it.

It is important to remember that everyone learns on different levels about different things. I took college english 5 times before I passed it. but took all three levels of College Calcaus classes 1 Time and got A's all the way through it. People in my english classes thought I was stupid cause I couldn't get it. Write what you need is all I know. Just like doing this I got started when I was 14 and it just comes natural.

I took chances on alot of people over the years and always shared my knowledge with anyone willing to learn. I seen promise in people that most wouldn't. These were the people that were the hardest working and willing to learn than those who had it handed to them on a silver platter so to speak.

I looked at your WEB site Jeremiah with all the people and machines you have there it is hard for me to believe that noone in that company wants to do 4th & 5th programming or are no good at it.

Crazy Millman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to say something that may offend somebody,

so PLZ sorry !

If you don`t manage to find boys/girls after school willing to learn trade try immigrants.

May be they don`t speak English well but sure you can find a lot of brilliant people there with experience and far more willing to learn and success than anyone.

I was in such a situation here in Israel and I can tell you from my one experience that there no

one who has such motivation and will to succeed as an immigrant .

When the massive immigration from USSR to Israel started we (immigrants ) eat a lot of @#$% but mostly succeed .

The immigrant is a person with no way back,

he will work day and night to learn profession , a lot of them have a lot of experience and good attitude to work.

As an example for the attitude we used to say in Russia :

With good machine and tools every fool can do a work ,try without !

Now defacto 80-90% of programmers and operators in

Israel are immigrants from Russia and I bet there is no boss who regret about this.

Iskander teh a Jew in Russia and Russian in Israel !

[ 08-10-2003, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

quote:

If you don`t manage to find boys/girls after school willing to learn trade try immigrants.

Plasttav,this does not offend me at all.Sadly,it's true.

I have always thought this of immigrants.

A lot of times,(non immigrants want everything handed to them).There is a small percentage of people who really push their limits.

We have a guy from Africa (nicest guy too)who started out sweeping,grinding,painting machines..He used to look at the guys running the machines as "gods" or something.

You could just tell that he wanted to be a part of running them.(kinda like me before) biggrin.gif

I kept telling him to stick with it and soon enough,he would be running one.

You could give this guy any job,and he would do it,without any complaints!(More than I can say for some "non immigrants" that work in the shop).

Today he runs machines every day. cheers.gif

best guy i've seen learn MC has been working with me for a year now. he's learning real fast. I pulled him from the mazak depatment. some guys are just work smart. tried about 3 guys before him and they just didnt have the drive to try new things. every day they ask the same questions. I've found there is no right or wrong way to learn programming. I teach the basics and if you got what it takes the rest just comes to them. but they got to be willing to experiment with the software.

+1 plastav

quote:

I've found there is no right or wrong way to learn programming. I teach the basics and if you got what it takes the rest just comes to them. but they got to be willing to experiment with the software.

Very true. I've seen this time and time again. You'll be able to weed out the wanna-be's rather quickly.

'R3kd

+++++ on plasttav,buckethead,May^Day,Rekd

Very good comments glad to see that type of people on here.

Here is a little trick to make this go a little better around here...............................................................................................................................................

I think they will get mad at me but make the forum go wider not so long to scroll.

Crazy Millman

[ 08-10-2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Millman^crazy ]

Millman not a bad thought except it maters on the size of the monitor and the resolution that you have it set to.

At this wide if your Res are low say 800 X 600 you will have to scroll left to right.

At 1024 X 768 it’s not so bad if you don't have Fav's showing on the left.

Now I run all mine at 1240 X 1024 this works well. But still if I have my Fav"s open and showing I need to scroll left to right other wise works great as you stated.

This why most sites are built using the 800 wide format.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Basically if you are worth watering, you'll get watered.

I would have to somewhat disagree. About 6 or so years ago I was told I was basically not worth a hill of feces only in not so kind words. The non-stop berating, cussing AT me, hovering over me not letting me do my job, etc... I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to look for a better situation. My next job I got about a $4/hr raise, boss that was not like a diaper (I don't think I need to elaborate on that one), interesting work, a boss that verbally appreciated me, etc... Something hilarious about this old boss, he saud I wasn't worth anything, a couple of years ago he was one of my students. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif My presense at the front of the class was enough to make him really steamed. He was the only bad review I got. Just could not take it. The untimate revenge. wink.gifwink.gif

There's so many factors in beiong a Programmer. I think being a programmer means being Part Mechanicla Engineer, part Manufacturing Engineer, part Machinist, part Setup Guy, etc... So many tasks necessary to be successful. To be successful at 4-5 Axis programming takes someone special. Not everyone can take on a half million dollar machine and desire to conquer it and all the idiosyncracies(sp?) it will throw at you. It Takes a special person... Many don't want the responsibility either. Those that relish the challenge will do well just like programmers in general. Those that choose to put forth a 100% effort to becomming good (this means spending your own uncompensated time playing with it) will reap the rewards. Those that don'..... "Would you like fries with that?" biggrin.gifwink.gif

quote:

Why not find some sharp highschool or college kids and train them?

heck, how about getting a highschool kid who comes to the table writing code? (cough, tvol, cough)

Let me put it this way a few months ago I went looking for a job, thre were only two responces I would ever get...

"sorry, we just had to lay some people off..."

or

"wow, according to your resume your better qualified than our average chip sweeper. Now, are you 18 yet?"

...and the funny part is, I otherwise do farm work, which is infiitly more dangerouse than manufacturing, yet somehow more legal.

ok, i'm done

I've seen the both ends of this discussion.

At my last job there was a guy about my age.

(late 40's).

He was a tireless operator and a decent setup man.

He would happily stand there and load a machine 80 hours a week if you asked him to.

I spent 5 years trying to teach him basic

mill gcode programming and failed miserably.

As soon as you started expalining something his eyes would glaze and his brain would shut down.

He quit his job and moved up north last year. The last time I talked to him, he was running a punch press for $10/hr.

At my current job, there is a young man who came here from south of the border 8 years ago. He started sweeping the floors and has moved up from

sweeper to operator to setup to programming.

He's currently a full time MC programmer doing complex 4 and 5 axis aerospace work.

I introduced him to SolidWorks last year and he promptly signed up for night classes at a community college (60 mile round trip drive)

This semester he's signed up for 2 classes.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him wind up

with an engineering degree.

Yeah James had the Same thing Happen to me Told I sucked would never be anything. I left there and went and applied at 2 comapines that would not give me the time of Day. 2 years later they were all coming to where I was working to ask me to do their CNC Machining Work. I didnt gloat just laughed inside knowing that they had to come to me. Yeah it is funny how the circle of life works sometimes.

In the early 90's spent more time in 5 years learning and doing things before and after work on my own time than anyone I knew an after 5 years people where coming to me about what I thought. I still to this day do it on my time and love doing it though my wife gets a little pissed, but she understands better than not being home at all.

Crazy Millman

I went to CNC class and after that on my first job

on the very first day my boss (programmer ) said:

Here is the tool list , these are the blank parts, this is a drawing, this is a machine,tools,the program I just sent to the controller ...DO the setup for the first part.

The unknown machine,controller, totally unknown place, the guy beside me the greatest SOD in the world .

And I DID IT !

And do it for this day.

Soon I was the leading setupist.

What wondered me that they took other newbies after me but my boss never did this trick once more.

I stayed at work to learn Auracad-Auramill after 12 hours shift.

Learned Mac and program alone on my boss comp without permission !

Once I forgot to close a job I wrote .

I came the next day ,he calls me to his office.

AND MY PROGRAM ON THE SCREEN !

I thougt gotcha !

That`s the end of the story!

But this guy said :

Not bad for a start,I want to show you some tricks and if you want ,take a book for a weekend !

Now once I came to the second shift and he said :

I was ill today and had not wrote a program .

This is a drawing (a damn aviation part 1000 dimensions and all the @#$$%*i^)

Write the program and do 2 parts.

The plane will take them tommorow .

AND I DID THE DAMN THING !

From that day I am programmer !

This was a great guy he gave me opportunity to learn and to succeed, and if it was a hardway it may be was better for me too.

A challenge is a great thing!

I always remember the lesson he gave me I try to help people but always leave them the chance to learn alone .

The bouncing feeling of a victory ,a pleasure to raise yourself to the new level, the self-respect if you like the term are the best feelings in the life and will stay with you forever.

This guy changed my life .

And a couple of good friends that were patient and willing to help me to became a professional.

The will to succeed and the good portion of challenge can do wonders ! smile.gif

Iskander teh recalling ....

[ 08-11-2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

Hey, does this mean that it wouldn't be doifficult in finding programming jobs in the USA. My wife is applying for an immigration visa, (She's a nurse). So pretty soon we'll be there.

I have a 4 years experience as an MC trainer and technical support, three years in CNC programming (3 and 5-axis) in an aerospace parts manufacturing co.

We haven't decided on which state to settle but i hope that there's lots of mastercam around that area. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Bolts and Nuts,

In southern California there is a HUGE demand for RN's. Signing Bonuses for $X,XXX annual salaries averaging in the high 5 five figures. Manufacturing is slowly picking back up. Mold and Die is still down though. Some companies even in this tough economy will pick up the right person. One of the guys in here is in the North West area and he's looking for qualified candidates.

No mattere how bad things are here in the US economy-wise this is still the land of opportunity. Jus think we in California may have an Austrian born Governor soon!

quote:

I am from Florida and people from my state are laughing at Calforina about this election.

At least Californian's can count.. rolleyes.gif Although, to see how blazingly quickly Grey Dufas destroyed our SURPLUS of money this year and put is in the hole with record numbers, makes me wonder about our ability to 'count'.

'Rekd teh California; Never been there and I'm never going back!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

... yeah, If you bought a $50k car least year after October, you're ponyin up at least a grand! Damn Democrats!

Get this, Gov. George Deukmejian (A Repubilcan with an evenly split Dem/Rep legislature) leaves office with a $3 Billion or more SURPLUS Gov. Pete Wilson (A Repubilcan with an evenly split Dem/Rep legislature) whittle's some of it waay, but still in the Billions. Grey Davis (Democrap with nearly a Dem. super majority legislature)has not yet finished destroying our state and we're $35 Billion in the hole. Just goes to show you the true colors of the Dems. OH, BTW, they added some 30,000 jobs to the state payroll to boot. How can anyone in good conscience vote Democrap I'll never know.

JM2C

Yeah anything above 10 I get my calcuator out. I only got to figure out how to mulitply and I will be doing good. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah real sad state of affairs have only been here about 5 months so still sure what to think to the politcs of it all.

Think it is funny though having to spend like 20 million for this thing and he was re-elected 9 months ago.

Money put in better palces if you ask me.

Crazy Millman

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Money put in better palces if you ask me.

I'd have to disagree 'cuz if we let this buffoon we call a Governor get away with this, it's sends a message that they can do what they want and are not accountable to the very people that elected them. We need to send the message that if they don't watch themselves, they'll be out of a job. Grey HAD Presidential aspirations. He can kiss that goodbye. Do you realize that guy has NEVER worked a real job? He's been a politician his WHOLE life!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif That's why I think it's a good idea to recall him. Besides, that is a TON less than 1 percent of the debt he and the Democraptic Party is responsible for. Small price to pay for making an example out of somebody who deserves to "Ride the Lightning" for what he and his party have done to the Great State of California. Had he been around when the state was brand new, and he plunged the state into that kind of debt (in adjusted dollars of course - I'm a reasonable guy) he would have been burned at the stake, and rightfully so.

JM2C

[ 08-11-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]