Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DYNAMIC AREA MILL FEEDS AND SPEEDS ??

FTI2007

Im looking for suggestions for feeds and speeds for a general purpose garr 1/2 carbide endmill in P20 steel. I was going to try to rough out a pocket that is .800 deep. I looked at the database but everything there is coated carbide. I was going to try 3056 rpm and feed of 81. with a 10% stepover and full depth. Am I close with these numbers?? Thanks in advance.

All things being equal I think you are good with your speed. For me your feed is a little high. I run 10% stepover at .0045 fpt (with an IMCO General Purpose AlTiN coated endmill), which in your case would be 55 ipm. Once I get above about 450 SFM and .005 ftp I start tearing up endmills.

If you can run at what you have stated you will try, great! Let us know.

I played with the numbers and I dont think there is an efficent way to do it with an uncoated standard endmill. I ended up switching it out for a 1.00 AJX feed mill to do the pocket. I had a pretty good idea this was going to happen but wanted to try it. Thanks guys.

I am getting something like that at mediocre aggressiveness:

Material: P20 Tool Steel 330 HB

Tool: 0.500in 4FL Carbide Solid End Mill

Speed: 525.0 SFM/ 4012.7 RPM

Feed: 0.0029 ipt/ 0.0115 ipr/ 46.23 ipm

Chip Thickness: 0.0017 in

Reference Chipload: 0.0012 in

Engagement: DOC=0.800 in WOC=0.050 in

and really aggressive:

Material: P20 Tool Steel 330 HB

Tool: 0.500in 4FL Carbide Solid End Mill

Speed: 525.0 SFM/ 4012.7 RPM

Feed: 0.0043 ipt/ 0.0173 ipr/ 69.34 ipm

Chip Thickness: 0.0026 in

Reference Chipload: 0.0012 in

Engagement: DOC=0.800 in WOC=0.050 in

Info from here: http://zero-divide.net/index.php?page=fswizard&shell_id=199&load_tool_id=48655

• Like 1

Yep i have chip thinning enabled on my own calculator

I tied putting good calculations into my DB but then found out that 90% percent of them are almost dead-on at 150% feed override anyway.

I still save data for different tools though- save me a lot of typing.

check it out, both the online and slightly reduced standalone versions are free, might even like it ;)

BTW do you mind if i include data from your library into my online calculator?

BTW do you mind if i include data from your library into my online calculator

Go right ahead.

You've really got ALOT of functionality into your site there. Nice.

150% feed override anyway

Yes the headroom on those toolpaths seem near limitless at times. Frequently dictated by machine's dynamics and capability alone..

Followup. yeah i just checked it.

online version increases sfm as well as chipload when using hsm option.

but that feature was introduced AFTER v0.014 release and thus is yet not supported in standalone version.

it however is included into the next release being tested right now. Along with some other features none else has. ;)

Yes the headroom on those toolpaths seem near limitless at times. Frequently dictated by machine's dynamics and capability alone..

This is the big thing IMO. If you have a Matsuura/Robodrill (probably Makino etc) the machine is more than likely configured for the high feeds.

If it's budget (read cheap like our Chevalier's), then it's not set up and will blow the machine's thrust bearings/ball screws in very little time becuase of the mechanical shock from direction changes at such high feeds.

But spend some time and get the machine sweet and you can have BIG rewards.

Or spend some cash and buy a Matsuura...