Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.igs to G code

Have you used mastercam before? Are you familiar with creating toolpaths?

no

Your BEST bet is to get in touch with your reseller and schedule training.

indeed

I am helping my cousin out, i found some igs 3d models that he needs made, and his cnc runs on g-code. perhaps he knows more than i do but is it possible for mastercam to take igs files and output g-code? thanks

yes it is, but it involves a bit of work from the operator, you need to create toolpaths, and assign tools etc...not as simple as pressing a button and you have gcode though.

OK, his cnc is old, and i'm pretty sure that after you create toolpaths and assign tools, all you would have to do is put that on a floppy drive and into the machine and it would run the correct toolpaths correct?

ok let's cut to the chase:

To take someone who has no experience with cad/cam software from .iges to some sort of runable g-code is about a 2 month learning curve. That's approx 10hrs class time and studying per week, and that's with very rudimentary skills at best. If things get complicated, which they do fast, expect a 4-6 month learning curve and a whole pile of scrap parts in the process.

no offense, but that's what's required to generate g-code from an internet downloaded iges. And that's why competent programmers start at 20$ hr. Private contractors, 60-120$

• Like 4

ok let's cut to the chase:

To take someone who has no experience with cad/cam software from .iges to some sort of runable g-code is about a 2 month learning curve. That's approx 10hrs class time and studying per week, and that's with very rudimentary skills at best. If things get complicated, which they do fast, expect a 4-6 month learning curve and a whole pile of scrap parts in the process.

no offense, but that's what's required to generate g-code from an internet downloaded iges. And that's why competent programmers start at 20$ hr. Private contractors, 60-120$

+1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I keep an Easy Button in my desk. We used to have this salesman that woudl always tell customers, sure, we can do anything, no problem. Everything he said was true, but it was usually time-consuming so when he'd have one of those projects, we'd be sitting down at my desk and I'd pull out my Easy Button and tell him to push the button. Voila. He was not amused and I was rollin'. He eventually caught on and started talking with me earlier in the process.

How do I do this with mastercam x4? Can I do it with mastercam x6? I have read up on it and have found no definitive answer.

I think everyone has missed the obvious question... Have you ever machined anything? It's not just knowing how to use Mastercam. You also have to have an understanding of how to machine a part. I've been at it for over 15 years and it's still no cakewalk some days.

I will add that if you have an understanding of how to machine the part learning Mastercam is still going to take some time to figure out.

Good luck!

• Like 1