Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Poor Boy's DNC?

M. Anderson

Does anyone know of a network type serial interface box that you could hook up to a CNC?

I am looking for the "Name Brand" or a "Link" to a serial interface that I can plug up to my CNC’s.

Then connect Ethernet 10/100 cable from the office network out to the machines and the serial box, using this to dump files to my machines or even use to drip feed large programs.

Prefer something someone else has used before - don't want to re-invent the wheel!

Computers out in the shop - at the machines is not working. Killed 2 in the past year!

Yea, I checked into a DNC system from a local vendor. WOW, $$$$$$$! frown.gif

Just have 3 machines I want to hook up, and 2 don't have true DNC ability anyway.

The DNC system was way out of my $$. confused.gif

Thanks,

Mark Anderson

Currently after 2 pc have died - I am using my laptop to go from machine - to machine - and load the machines with a RS-232 cable.

But the thought of leaving my laptop out in the shop for drip feeding large programs - just don't leave me feeling very well! eek.gif

The office computers are to far away to run serial cables out to the machines - but there is a network router/switch - within 15 or 20 feet of each machine.

That is why I am looking for a network-able serial interface box. Kind of like a network print server for a CNC. The machines are not network-able themselves or I would look into that.

But thanks for the suggestion! cheers.gif

Mark Anderson

quote:

Computers out in the shop - at the machines is not working. Killed 2 in the past year!

I have used computers on the shop floor right beside my machines for over 10 years.

I make forging dies and work in a barn, the grinding dust and debris are terrible.

Inside my shop, the temp reaches upwards of 108 in the middle of Summer.

So needless to say it is a very harsh environment for both my CNC's and my personal computers.

What I do is I have my brain in an enclosed wooden box that I made out of Plywood. Make it large enough so it can breathe.

And the monitor set on top of that which is covered by another box that is open to the front.

I have a hinged lid that I can close when I am throwing lots of chips.(my machines aren't enclosed).

The trick is to have 2 HDD's and blow the dust off the main boards and out of the power supply reguarly.

Murlin teh southern engineer

+1 to may day

onother option if you are runing small program files ,is to set up a geco box.the file would have to fit on a floppy to use this set up,so you would be very limited.i ran a big mitsubishi that had a hard time dnc'ing we used the geco to drip programs for doing mold base work(99% 2-d)

hth

trevor

Mayday LOL.....

Carl...

I would put a bag over it but it gets too hot in my shop.

The wooden box... Not only does it protect your PC from that one wild-haired chip that finds its way into your system and shorts you out, it also acts like an insulator from the elements.

During the winter I leave my computer on so the heat generated will keep my HDD warm, it gets down in the 30's.

During the summer I turn it off at night. I also open the door on the front of the cabnet and let it breathe when I use it. Average temp this summer has been 102, all summer long, every freaking day....with a the highest of 109.

In fact, the heat finally killed my powersupply on my little knee mill. I am definatly putting a Vortex on my that cabnet.

Murlin teh method to his madness.....

quote:

but sounds like you should replace the beer in the fridge with the cpu box.

Now you leave my beers outa this, they are just fine where they are..... biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Ya tell me about it MayDay......hopefully this is the last year in that hell-hole. smile.gif Been working on my other shop for over 10 years now. It's almost finished. It is air conditioned smile.gif

Murlin

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions -

Both, Steve and Carl, pointed me to the MOXA web site. THANKS!

This is what I was looking for.

Steve, and Allen Drost of Cad/Cam Solutions , is my dealer for MC. Steve informed me they are also a distributor for MOXA products.

MOXA has a lot of different solutions for this type of project.

Check it out, some really neat stuff!

(Or at least products - I - did not know about anyway.)

The major "PLUS" with my dealer as a distributor, is Steve is someone I can call on, and do quite often! smile.gif Also his price was very reasonable - compared to what the local DNC guy was talking about.

Thanks, to all!

Mark Anderson