Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PHOTOS

smokey_44

I know that you have talked alot about bmp files and so on (photos) and wanted to know if there is a "good"way to bring in a photo to mastercam for tracing , or a raster to vector converter that doesn't suck the bag. I want to bring in a very detailed picture not just a logo or something like that. I have tried alot of different raster to vector programs and most don't do a good job at all.

Dave

I went to this Manufacturing Engineers seminar

once and they had someone come and show off this new sculpting software.

You could do some pretty amazing stuff with it.

The program could scan a B&W picture of a rose, and by using the diffrent shades of grey,it would build a 3-d surface model that you could machine.

Srry I forgot the name of the program.

I dont know if they sell just the translator but she told us that people sent her pictures to scan and she would send them back the geometry.

Murlin

Well when I was in Florida it was passed on to me by that a comapny making those crystal was using Mastercam to do it. So if they are I would give old Mastercam a call and see how they can help you. I seen them takign the Pictures for them at DisneyLand yesterday using a 3-D digizter. From what I understand and if someone knows better please correct me. But they do like a point cloud repsentaion of the model like an STL then they take a laser and shoot points in the crystal at different x,y,z to create the effect fo the person or object. I think it is pretty cool and keep thinking of a way to do a face in acrlyic.

Crazy Millman

The usual method (as far as I know) is to have two beams. Where they cross is where the plastic changes from clear to opaque. I'd be interested in a better raster to vector conversion as well. Right now, I'm doing the good ole ->triple image size by pixels and clean up in photoshop by raising contrast, then magic lasso to delete the background -> open in Adobe Streamline and convert to DXF -> open in Mastercam and make splines where they became jagged in the conversion, and then trim it all...

Andris

PS - Spent this weekend in Wisconsin at Road America. Thats a great track in some beautiful countryside! Next weekend is the Denver street course, and I'll try to get a little mountainbiking in on Monday smile.gif

Hi Dave If your still lookig for an answer, try this old thread,It has the word nose wheelie in it,, Search for "nose wheelie",It looks like this

quote:

Author Topic: isnt passible to draw with a bitmap background????

engo

Member # 1260

posted 12-02-2001 02:03 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

isnt passible to draw with a bitmap background please i do anothers programs but mastercam not use that and i want to put bitmap on mastercam do u help me??? thankss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 3 | From: universty | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged

[ 08-26-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Hi Dave,

If you haven't tried these,

Trix

R2V

Ideal

?

TYPE3

they might give you a better idea of what is available. Some of these offer free demos and range in price from affordable to out of the ballpark. I like Type3 because of the many tools that are available, but the cost is steep. This also has a grey scale that works like magic. wink.gif The R2V is really sweet too as far as not having so much cleanup after the conversion, though I don't remember the cost.