Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma MU-10000H

Here is the latest machine to come to my attention in my search for a new 5X mill

It's big enough to do 85% of our parts and it looks pretty sweet.

I doubt anyone has any experience with these as it looks like it's a new model

http://www.okuma.com/mu-10000h

I've always been partial to Okumas, but it's been many years since I ran one.

This beast is wicked fast ... 1600 ipm rapids slinging 5,000 pounds around Yikes!!!

what control options do I want with this thing..

The last Okuma I ran had an OSP2000 on it... I'm sure things have changed since then

what control options do I want with this thing..

There is only one available right now and it is loaded. It has TCPC, SuperNurbs 4th and 5th, 5 axis error compensation, Tool posture control, and more. That is one of the nice things about Okuma 5 axis mills, They come loaded with all the control goodies and they are set up for that specific machine.

I'm not sure if it has the 3D collision avoidance, if not I would get that added to the quote. Also I would have a discussion with your re-seller about program size. If your programs are going to be bigger than 2gb you will need DNC-DT.

Mr.M and I talked about suggesting this machine to you a few days ago, but we didn't think it would be big enough.

• Like 1

I ran a smaller 5-Axis Okuma years ago at a shop I used to work at. I still remember "Missy" (they named all their Okuma's with women's names). To this day it has been my favorite machine of all that I have ran. The repeatability of that machine was outstanding. The features on the controls of the Okumas are really nice too. Like "Mid-Auto Manual". I don't know why all machines don't have this. Like you, it has been years since I ran one. But they definitely left an impression on me as one of the best machines out there.

There is only one available right now and it is loaded. It has TCPC, SuperNurbs 4th and 5th, 5 axis error compensation, Tool posture control, and

I'm not sure if it has the 3D collision avoidance, if not I would get that added to the quote. Also I would have a discussion with your re-seller about program size. If your programs are going to be bigger than 2gb you will need DNC-DT.

Gcode,

I have the DNC-DT, Supernerbs, glass scales. and the micron option (0.0001mm 0.00001in).

after 10 years it still holds all its precision like it was new!!!!!!!! OKUMA is always my first pick.

• Like 1

We just ordered an Okuma MU500V with the 20k option. They have great options.

We didn't bother with Collision Avoidance. We have Vericut, and a Vericut machine model. We were told by a user of a MU500 in Australia that if you had Vericut, then CAS wasn't really necessary. We have CAS on our Multus, and we never use it.

The MU1000 is a beast of a machine for sure!

Tom,

We just bought a very nice, large 5-axis.

Hopefully you have a good relations with the reseller and a top notch applications people, support and commitment from them.

We thought we had it as well, but it turned out that the local app guy knows less about this machine then myself. There is nothing wrong with it and I don't think he really needs to, but what really gets me is he doesn't even try... :thumbdown:

When asked about something simple he just says it's in the book somewhere, no effort at all...LOL

Make sure you get to work with people that are dedicated, people that are passionate about it like Jeremy, Mr. M, or YoDoug...

The quality of the machine I'm sure is excellent, but the importance of dedicated support is paramount in making a buying decision. If not there, you should consider hiring an independent contractor. I know of one ;)

Let me know if you want me to go take it for test drive for you Tom. They are right up the rode and I will be there working with AEs on some Multus beta stuff soon. :cheers:

I'm working on a post right now... the plan being to aircut some of my roughing toolpaths

to see how the machine behaves

Tom,

We just bought a very nice, large 5-axis.

Hopefully you have a good relations with the reseller and a top notch applications people, support and commitment from them.

We thought we had it as well, but it turned out that the local app guy knows less about this machine then myself. There is nothing wrong with it and I don't think he really needs to, but what really gets me is he doesn't even try... :thumbdown:

When asked about something simple he just says it's in the book somewhere, no effort at all...LOL

Make sure you get to work with people that are dedicated, people that are passionate about it like Jeremy, Mr. M, or YoDoug...

The quality of the machine I'm sure is excellent, but the importance of dedicated support is paramount in making a buying decision. If not there, you should consider hiring an independent contractor. I know of one ;)

Yo Doug and Mr M have bent over backwards to be helpful.. and it's not even their territory.

I havn't heard a word form the local AE

Mark is so right on the support. That goes for machine tools, and software.

Being in a very small country, I am very envious of all you that are in the USA. You ave far greater choices, and a wealh of support, and resources right on your doorstep.

If you guys think you dont have great support where you are, consider where I am... Believe me, it is a shadow of what you guys have :)

Okuma have really good support here, which is why we have four Okumas in our shop, and we hav just ordered our fifth. Interestingly though, Okuma USA is more of its own seperate entity though. Here, we are very much tied to Japan.