Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma MU-10000H

Wow, thanks for sharing. Its not often you actually get to see parts being made on these machines, and that machine sure is a beast.

I have a couple questions. In your first picture there is some layout dye on a couple of the blades, was that just for laying out the counterbores for the shcs? Or were you doing some accuracy/blend tests?

In the second picture, are those standoffs and bottom disk a fixture only or are they a part of the workpiece?

For anyone thinking about buying an Okuma, something to consider

We had our laser guy come out and run some tests on the rotary axis (s??) it after we ran it for a couple of days.

The A axis was running 2 arc seconds, the B was running 3.

He said it's the tightest trunnion table/table machine he's ever tested.

All the more impressive when you know that the part and fixture together weight 5800 pounds, 300 over rated capacity.

We've been told it will easily handle 8000 pounds if you don't try to rapid at 100% (1900IPM)

• Like 1

We had our laser guy come out and run some tests on the rotary axis (s??) it after we ran it for a couple of days.

All the more impressive when you know that the part and fixture together weight 5800 pounds, 300 over rated capacity.

We've been told it will easily handle 8000 pounds if you don't try to rapid at 100% (1900IPM)

May I ad that if the history I have had with these machines means anything (not that mammoth) but Okuma, don't expect to be able to blame any inaccuracy on the machine in the future either. unless someone really I mean really beats the crap outa it. it will hold tight for many years. A true get what you pay for brand.

Tom, It's great to hear that you are up and running and satisfied. Buying a machine that big is a huge investment. Just an FYI, Okuma has another one in the build schedule set for delivery this fall. You could place your order now. ;)

a matched set ... cool :laughing:

will this one have an HSK125 spindle???

HSK125 tools are a PIA to find and breathtakingly expensive.. but they are freaking STRONG!!!

• Like 1

On our Okuma M800VH head/table machine we're off .0016" between A0 and A-90. When we rotate the C 180 deg it gets compounded to about .0032"

They leveled it twice and according to Okuma it's way better than the machine specs...

Support... :thumbdown:

:help:

G - Just curious (again) - Did they turn down the acc/dec parameters to allow for the weight?

I was always told that weight isn't an issue it's the acc/dec that kills ballscrews and thrust bearings.

Neat piccy's again.

:cheers:

On our Okuma M800VH head/table machine we're off .0016" between A0 and A-90. When we rotate the C 180 deg it gets compounded to about .0032"

They leveled it twice and according to Okuma it's way better than the machine specs...

It sounds more like a machine alignment problem with the A pivot axis rather than an leveling issue. Have they done a ballbar or laser on the machine? If you put a test bar in the spindle and sweep it in Z @ A0 and then sweep it with A90 what is the difference?

I was going to say it sounds like the Z axis is out of square.. but you beat me to it.

We've got a guy who sets our machines up using a laser tracker.

He's not cheap, but he's very good. He could diagnose that issue quickly

but I doubt he travels

G - Just curious (again) - Did they turn down the acc/dec parameters to allow for the weight?

I was always told that weight isn't an issue it's the acc/dec that kills ballscrews and thrust bearings.

Neat piccy's again.

:cheers:

I really don't know.. The machines rapids at 1900ipm and the X axis /trunnion assembly weighs 63K pounds

Everything about it is heavy duty. All three linear axis have dual lead screws and motors and the rotatry axis

each have dual motor/gear assemblies.

The motion the machine goes through during swarfing cuts is amazing/terrifying

I was roughing at 10 ipm and the actual feed rates were getting up to 600ipm as the X Y and B axis flew around. :laughing:

It sounds more like a machine alignment problem with the A pivot axis rather than an leveling issue. Have they done a ballbar or laser on the machine? If you put a test bar in the spindle and sweep it in Z @ A0 and then sweep it with A90 what is the difference?

If you indicate the side end of the test bar (at the tip) at a0 and a-90 the difference I think is .0006. That's without any additional axis movement...

Originally a local reseller aligned it and it was twice as bad. After couple of guys from Okuma showed up they got it down to this number.

It's a combination of A being off by .0006 between A0 and A-90 and a Z axis being off by about .0008.

Imagine a box. You bore a hole at the top, then at A-90 C0 the column has to come down on Z to bore another hole. This side hole is already off by .0016 in X. Now you bore another hole at A-90 C180 and this one is off by .0016 in the other direction...

It was way off after the first alignment. Good after second.. We had it aligned at least twice, but I don't think it was really done in the right order. They sort of "jumped" around doing that and only looked at small range...

IMO, start with the biggest, in this case Y ways and get them as good as possible over the entire range. Do the same with X, then Z and only then mess with A and C...

It was way off after the first alignment. Good after second.. We had it aligned at least twice, but I don't think it was really done in the right order. They sort of "jumped" around doing that and only looked at small range...

IMO, start with the biggest, in this case Y ways and get them as good as possible over the entire range. Do the same with X, then Z and only then mess with A and C...

I agree with starting with the longest linear axis first and doing rotaries last. I do however feel that the only true way to get a 5ax back on track is through a more advanced analysis than you can do with indicators. I would look into Axis-Set from Renishaw or another similar 3D 5ax volumetric calculation. Just like the difference between a ballbar test on a 3axis versus indicator tests. You get a lot more info to go on.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...