Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma mac turn or DMG DMU evo?

Daniel my friend I tried calling you the other day to talk, but not sure I had the right number. Thanks for checking on me while I was in the hospital, my wife told me about your calls and it is good to have someone like you to call my friend. Shoot me an email and we catch up.

Yes it has got to be fun to program and make cool parts with. One day maybe I will get chance to make a program for a machine like that.

Thanks!

What software are you using to program and to verify?

Did it come with a post processor as well?

We are using Pro/NC and deploying TopSolid V6 - Pro/NC we wrote the PP and TopSolid we are using a bullet proof PP from COMData Systemhaus (Austria)

Their posts and support are worth every penny (But pricey) - Not a matter for a machine that expensive.

I would get 40 taper to capto C5/C4 adapters and a variety of basic capto turning tools. Such as CNMG, VNMG, Top loc/notch (small grooving),CCMT, etc. Maybe a few mini turrets. Big Kaiser also makes some direct 40taper tooling if that's the way you want to go. http://www.bigkaiser.com/mill-turn-tooling.php

Don't sell yourself short on tooling with one of these machines!!!

Mike

• Like 1

Daniel okay I owe you this. :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

MKD I would look at the CNMG is you are not going to be doing taper cuts on ODs If you need the clearance angle DNMG style and willing to not have the same rigidity as CNMG then consider it 1st. I have done some good roughing with a DMNG and get my relief angle I need on turning without having to look to a groove tool because of the CNMG tool lack of clearance. VNMG #2 tool and CARMEX #3 style threading tool. They do make 1" holder tools that any 1" tool will go in. You might look a couple of them to start with so you only need to put in a $80 to $120 holder to give you a lot of flexibility without breaking the bank. Not as rigid as Capto, but to cheap out to get going might be your best bet and would allow CNC lathe tools to be put in if you have some already.

You can always mill a part off verse needing a grooving tool. More wasted Material and will go through some endmill and find out you could have paid for a part tool in 2 weeks of this approach, but some lesson people learn need to cost then $1000 of dollars before they get what the real cost is. MKD yes I know money is tight, but you might think you are saving by not getting, but you are costing yourself so much more by not getting what you really should. Just my humble opinion.

i was not aware of the 40 taper to capto adapters! pretty sweet setup since it looks like capto is more available than 40 taper in mill-turning.

really like that big kaiser link.

45º Tilt Style are cool! two separate pieces, so if you grenade the the insert you don't have to replace the whole thing, just that tip holding the insert. so i figure they took a $200 tool, split it in two, charging $200 for each, right?

1. a kaiser 45° holder with 1-2 of those cartridge end-pieces.

2. a couple 40 taper holders for stick tools

3. stick tool for threading (since rigidity is not as much of an issue) on clearance/ sale

machine has 80 pockets, don't want to fill 'em up right away. haha

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

as it turns out this Mac Turn30 was originally tweaked for a rear discharge, below ground coolant tack/ chip conveyor. they put some chip-shoot sheet metal in it, below the chuck to make a smaller opening due to the narrow width of the conveyor with it turned 90° from typical.

i don't want to dig any holes and the supplied conveyor looks like it can be installed in the typical fashion except it is taller than you average unit. sucker is 14" tall to the top rail with other various appendages higher.

to make the bottom edge of the front sheet metal high enough, it looks like i will need to have the casting at least 7" off the ground. with supplied 3" leveling feet it seems i would need an extra 4" aluminum blocks.

sound crazy?

okuma is slow to get old documentation...............

I think you can convert the BT to a CAT by changing the fingers in the tool change arm check with Okuma, I had to do a few of the Mori Seiki here from CAT to BT because the somehow the PO got screwed up on three machines and all Mori Seiki did was change the fingers/clamps on the tool change arm. It could save you some money in tool holders.

Okuma has rejected this quote request due to the machine no longer being produced and ATC conversion parts are no longer available.

crash and burn on this idea, no biggie. local sales office seems to think regular repair parts are still available. hope that's true.

local office sure has been helpful without any money up front.