Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma mac turn or DMG DMU evo?

both machines are over the same 10 year age, with similar hours on them. the mac turn looks immaculate for age and use, the DMG not so much.

both machines would have unfamiliar controls.

both are price similarly.

ok say you're mostly a mill guy and a real five axis mill is your dream machine (DMG). there is a business case for both machines. the mac turn could do some great production for aluminum products that are probable to produce.

the DMG has a crazy 30k spindle that you think is more of a detriment than an advantage for maintenance and general machining. also it uses hsk50 holders. never used hsk, but these seem tiny, also a small detriment.

which one to purchase?

Be careful when assuming what size of parts can be machined on a macturn. Even though the machine looks huge, it doesn't transfer very well into the part sizes. You're somewhat limited when doing some fancy stuff on it. We had a macturn 250.

just from experience with both brands (not those specific machines) I would bet the Okuma will hold better tolerance and be more reliable. kinda like the maytag ads. maintenance guys are not needed much on Okuma and iron is usually massive.

actually the DMU70 might be just out of reach on price currently. if i can get em down a bit its doable.

anyways tough choice on what to blow my life-savings on; a cool 5 axis mill i've always wanted or a great turning center that would build shop capability (no current turning capability)

i was thinking to bar feed for AR-15 uppers on this y-axis lathe...

aarrgh. cant decide.

oh, and thanks for the input so far!

You'd have to pay me to put that 10 year old DMG on my floor. Get the Okuma, or keep shopping around for another 5 axis VMC that's a better fit. Are you subscribed to all of the used dealer spam lists? The best deals pop up a few times per year, and then vanish within a few days.

Be careful when assuming what size of parts can be machined on a macturn. Even though the machine looks huge, it doesn't transfer very well into the part sizes. You're somewhat limited when doing some fancy stuff on it. We had a macturn 250.

good call; the manual says it has 2.44 spindle bore. the machinery guys just measured it. 2.2 spindle bore with 1.75 bar capacity.

so much for bar feeding AR uppers. gonna have to do single loading...

pulled the trigger on the Okuma and then got an email the the DMG got sold. so i couldn't afford it any ways.

sometimes decisions get made for you...

if the Okuma turns out to be a turd, it's all YOUR fault!! :laughing::laser:

I'm pretty sure CNC Software have a MacTurn post processor, although (unless they have done some major updating) I recall it wasn't that great. Or, the usual third party post vendors can help out, thats for sure.

We are an all Okuma shop. LB15 lathe, LB400 lathe, MB56VA 4 axis vertical mill, Multus B400W Mill Turn, and we recently ordered an Okuma MU500 5 axis machining center. My favourite controllers :)

• Like 1

Mkd, there are quite a few Okuma guys here on the forum. You can always email me through the forum.

As for programming. I have seen X7 and it looks impressive but seeing as the macturn is no longer being made I think it may be some time before you will see the full post/simulation like the multus. I have been using Esprit for all my Okuma lathe programming lately. Still use mcam for mill.

I just test proved a custom multus tool change macro today at a customer. It works great. Simples the call to one line and checks the logic for the waiting/next etc.

• Like 1

the book says it takes BT40 holders of which i have none.

would it be crazy to think of changing the arm so i could use CAT40, of which i'm already invested?

speaking of which, i'll need to start looking into a tooling package..

this forum rocks.

tool change macro..oh ya, these higher-end machines require more than t1m6 like a Haas...

I've heard the Multus described as a one legged MacTurn. I thought that was a funny description.After seeing two MacTurns in action last December, I would tend to agree, although the Multus is a very capable machine. They're very nice to use.

I think you can convert the BT to a CAT by changing the fingers in the tool change arm check with Okuma, I had to do a few of the Mori Seiki here from CAT to BT because the somehow the PO got screwed up on three machines and all Mori Seiki did was change the fingers/clamps on the tool change arm. It could save you some money in tool holders.

• Like 1