Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardinge GX100 or Feeler VMP-1100 or.....

hi guys, looking for some advice from here on which machine tool to go with.

we are replacing a fadal 4020 and looking at the two machines listed.

they both come with the same control Fanuc Oi-MD which we will upgrade to

include the AICC II 200 block look ahead. both will be equipped with the chip blaster

thru spindle coolant and chip conveyor. the difference comes to spindle horsepower

and travel. we are leaning toward the Feeler costs slightly more but heavier machine

longer travels more torque/hp and 2 year std warranty on both the control and machine tool.

what does the emastercam community have to say?

Feeler:

spindle:25 hp spindle chiller std

torque: 117.7 Nm (87ft.lbs.)

travel: 43.3 x 24 x 23.6

xy linear guide ways z box ways

Hardinge:

spindle:20 hp spindle chiller opt

torque: 114.Nm (84ft.lbs.)

travel: 40.16 x 21.25 x 21.25

xyz linear guide ways

If I were looking into a 4020 Hardinge I would opt for the GX1000 OSP. It has The Okuma Control, drives, servos, etc on it. Very fast and accurate for the price point. Here is a quick video of one cutting H13 @ 55Rc. The machine easily hits 200+ IPM feedrates in that small pocket The control comes standard with Hi-Cut Pro which is the equivalent to AICC II. Plus you get all of the extra's that come with the OSP control. 40gb hard drive, 2gb program size, Ethernet/Wifi, etc.

I'm going with the GX1000 OSP too. Some here will argue the Fanuc control is better or the OSP is better etc... But when you compare a Fanuc 21iM to a OSP200M you have a strait arguement. When you are comparing a OSP P200M to a Fanuc OiM the OSP is a clear choice.

I've run plenty of OSP mills & lathes and Fanuc mills & lathes, it all comes down to what are you getting for your money. A Fanuc O control is their basic cost cutting option. A loaded OSP P200 rocks. The GX1000 is std with a very well equiped P200.

You'll be very happy with the Gosiger team too. Go with the 1 week training at their Solon office! Thats included in you machine purchase.

1-2 days to show them where the cycle start button is. whew, complicated control... lol

They are a pretty friendly control but watch out, you may never want to go back to Fanuc. Most important is the reliability and power of the OSP.

1-2 days to show them where the cycle start button is. whew, complicated control... lol

They are a pretty friendly control but watch out, you may never want to go back to Fanuc. Most important is the reliability and power of the OSP.

i'm talking more about my operators (which also do their own setups) picking up their xyz zeros and tool offsets, but i know what your saying ;)

Normally we like to do 1-2 days training and then follow up a week or so after. Most guys are up and running in that 1-2 days. The basics of the control are very easy to learn and operate.

edit sorry forgot the quote

I've been running alot of test cuts and experiments on a GX1000. Very fast smooth motion. I'll get a few videos up soon of cutting 1018 at 600ipm in a moderately detailed part. Max back feed rate is 1180ipm and it's smooth no matter how much data you throw at it. As for power, I'd bet aluminum at 1000ipm would be entirely possible with a proper toolpath. Granted I have not run your comparison machine, but suspect if an Oi can keep up with the feedrates and accel/decel of the Okuma units. Program restarts and related functionality is great. LOTS and lots of other features I keep learning about. You can easily Windows network the thing no problem, no more pcmcia bullcrap, or fanuc data server fun.

Your operators are going to say "WTF, work AND tool offsets both use an H value"! I don't really blame them on that one. :D But show them they can surf craigslist on the thing and you'll win them over.

I suppose I should ask, what are you doing with the machine? If you're just drilling holes, well...I suppose it wouldn't matter what you get..Would the 20 vs. 25 hp make a diff? I can't say, but look at the tq and hp curve at the rpm's you run at. That will tell you more about usability than outright hp.

A major factor that should be considered is dealer support as well. Gosiger out here is second-to-none. IMHO

I have two Feeler VMP-1100 machines. Both are just over a year old. I am very happy with them. I machine anything from aluminum to titanium 6al4V on them with great success. I'm running a bunch of 17-4SS on them now. I am using a 2" Coro 880 drill drilling 6" deep and doing so with good success. They certainly have some xxxx.

From sounds of it the OSP may have the edge in terms of processing speed for high speed surfacing but it's a matter of your needs.

Sounds like local support is and should be a major determining factor.