Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Small Lathe Recommendation

I am looking for a CNC Lathe recommendation to run small parts (1.75" dia and under) on materials that range from nylon to stainless in quantities of 100-1000 day after day. These parts are not complicated. Think Spacers or washers and have tolerances of ±.005 (±.002 as the tightest). We have been using an older Mazak Quick Turn 8 but we would like to replace it before she takes her last gasp. Any recommendations are appreciated.

We run two Daewoo Lynx 220 machines here. 1.75" thru spindle and 6K RPM spindle. No complaints for what they are and for our work. We run a mix of 15-5, 4330, 4340, Aluminum, 440 and 304 stainless. No major complaints with productivity or performance.

+1 on the Doosan's. We have several, 3 lynx 200's , 2 220lm's, 1 220 l, and a puma 240msb. These lathes will put in work and hold with the best of them. They are affordable and very easy to work on when needed. The only thing I would say, if doing a lot of hard materials, go with the box way lathes. The newer of our lathes are linear way, and you can tell, but it is lightning fast.

We run two Daewoo Lynx 220 machines here. 1.75" thru spindle and 6K RPM spindle. No complaints for what they are and for our work. We run a mix of 15-5, 4330, 4340, Aluminum, 440 and 304 stainless. No major complaints with productivity or performance.

I ran both 220 and 200 models for yrs, the 200s hardly ever breakdown

The 220s always had relay issues

How substantialy do box ways out perform linear. I also am looking for a small lathe. We have mazak daewoo okuma haas tongtai and some knock off piece of junk I just looked at earlier today (brand new machine that had a used pulse handle because the new one didn't work and a service tech scratching his head unsure why the brand new machine won't move which is very reassuring). I have been around a lot of daewoos and have been impressed at what they do. Is the extra cash for a mazak really worth it when its large volume small parts with fairly light tolerances? Most of are parts are never bigger then 2.5" dia and 4-5" long. I just want a 24/7 lights out machine. One other question is how many people use programmable tail stock for part off is it necessary or is the bar feeder push accurate enough to hold +/-.005?

How substantialy do box ways out perform linear.
By "outperform" do you mean how much more of a cut can you take on a Box vs. Linear? If you're going to ask that questions, you have to ask the "roller vs. ball" question as well.

One other question is how many people use programmable tail stock for part off is it necessary or is the bar feeder push accurate enough to hold +/-.005?
Going to be REAL tough holding a bar feeder to ±.005 If you need to do that, you may want to look at a bar puller. I think Barfeeds are about ±.010 or so.

James yes I was referring to depth of cut. Now with the bar puller (I am more of a mill guy being asked to convert to lathe) can it work with a bar feeder? If it was your money and you had to hold those tolerances on length would you go bar feeder bar puller or bar feeder plus programmable tail stock?

I wouldn't have any issues holding +/-.005" with a bar puller BUT that depends upon your bar dia size, bar length and mtl - ie total weight to pull.

We have no bar feeders so only have 40" bars in the spout, and I would be ok pulling 1.5" dia ally with serated jaws.

But to pull 2.5" dia steel bar (40" long or more) is a lot of mass, I wouldn't think it would do it repeatably???

I had a bar feed do a push in the middle of the program, then finished the part shape and cut to length. I got a +.005/008" added to the part length every cycle. every part was different.

Bught a puller for the turrent. Parts are now +/-.001 or less in length.

USshop tools had the best price. Same puller as MSC.

Machineguy

• 1 month later...