Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock models Reliable?

CamMan1

I have been having nothing but problems with stock models. Because the new Verify does not work well with STL's that are being saved out of it I have resorted to using stock models instead. Using the stock models was recommended by several membersof the forum as an alternative to the STL's. I can pretty much lock up X7 or crash it at will when using stock models. Can anyone elaborate on how they are acheiving success with the stock models. I am about at my wits end. I have crashed and or locked up X7 4 times in a row now just by adding one other operation to the stock model source and regenning. Also the regen times are pretty long for a pretty basic part and I have multi-thread enabled.

I use them all the time. Here's what I do:

1. Keep the stock model tolerance as loose as possible. You can compensate for this by using the adjustments to remaining stock feature in rest roughing if you need to.

2. Don't try to put too many ops in each stock model; give them a few at a time and then use the result as the source for the next one.

3. Leave out threadmilling ops. X6 could handle it but for some reason X7 really doesn't like it.

Hope this helps.

I guess I will try fewer ops per stock model and see how that works out. I was grouping 50 ops together so maybe that is the reason it takes so long. The thing is that it is not that complicated of a part so I thought it should be able to handle it. Guess I was wrong.

Do you guys use a lot of transform ops with WCS? I am just curious as I use WCS with transform ops and stock model doesn't even register the transformed ops. I should add this was in X6 haven't tried it in X7 yet.

From my understanding when they originally came out CamMan one of the main points is to basically stop you from having to ever verify an entire part.. but instead to give you a way to nail down a part op by op..

So basically .. get op1 where you want it.. then make a stock model.. now when you work on op2 you never have to wait for op1 to regen again and so on..

Gotta say though.. the one problem I have with them at this point is that it seems like 2D contour ops for me always get dirty just from opening them to look at them.. which ends up making me regen any stock model I have since everything after them goes dirty.. kind of ruining the entire point of how they are supposed to save time..

• 2 months later...

I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue. I am using X7 SP2 for the time being because I started a family of parts a while back. Anyhow since the new Verify I have been using stock models more. My big problem is that when I create a new Stock Model Op I select my last model as stock then select the ops I want for the stock model to process and then it only takes a second and I have the new stock model. Only problem is that the ops I selected did not stick. This happens everytime after having created the 1st stock model. The only way I can make the selected ops stick is to highlight the calculatable fields and tab thru them and click apply on each page.

I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue. I am using X7 SP2 for the time being because I started a family of parts a while back. Anyhow since the new Verify I have been using stock models more. My big problem is that when I create a new Stock Model Op I select my last model as stock then select the ops I want for the stock model to process and then it only takes a second and I have the new stock model. Only problem is that the ops I selected did not stick. This happens everytime after having created the 1st stock model. The only way I can make the selected ops stick is to highlight the calculatable fields and tab thru them and click apply on each page.

It did this in the beta version and it still does it in SP2. I was in a "gotomeeting" with CNC during the beta phase and showed them this issue. For some reason it is still not fixed along with other bugs.