Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

just learned a life saver.

brandon b

If your having problems posting ALL the toolpaths you selected and Mastercam is only posting what seems like random toolpaths.

go to> edit selected operations>change nc file name and Change the NC file name. Also change the program #..

Think its caused when your editing , adding and rearranging toolpaths. Not exactly sure, hopefully someone can explain further.

Frustrated me for an hour until I asked the old man for help....

I was just rearranging toolpaths and minor edits. Everytime I posted it seemed like random toolpaths and it never repeated the same way.

also..

set your post dialog switch to "Ask" on the Post Dialog Defaults page of System Config.

that way if your file names are screwed up you will get a warning.

If you post all your ops, it will ask you to approve the name..

If it posts a bunch of code, then asks you to approve another file name

you'll know something is wrong.. and you need to do the

" edit selected operations>change nc file name " routine

If you have ask turned off, it will post two or three files and you'll never be the wiser

till you discover the pocket finishing op got posted... but the roughing op didn't

This is all good advice. I'm sure most of the users on here have experienced this issue. I find you get it more if you prompt for NC file name at the start of a program rather than programming with the default and renaming upon posting. also when you import ops and copy between groups this becomes more prevalent. And as soon as you select a group of operations, and change the nc filename for that group, if you create any more operations, you will have to rename the whole group again in order to post properly.

Brandon, if you have your configuration set to name the NC file according to your toolpath groups then you drag a toolpath from one group to another you will have this issue. I use the Edit>>>Selected Operations on every group before posting. Because I will usually have toolpaths copied from one operation to the next so I run into this a lot.

• Like 2

The attached VB script will go through & rename your operations by their group name.

It's hacked up from a script that I use to rename operations by their tool no.

It'll prompt for a start & end operation number. For each group within that range you'll

be prompted for the new nci name, defaulting to the group name.

This is specific to X5, some day I'll get around to verifying it in later versions.

kdgrills, oh I thought I had it...!!!!

I used to have a script built by bryan314, which was the slickest thing yet (at least for my purposes) (V9)

It pretty much did what your script there does, in that any operations that were selected, the script would rename ops to the group name, which is what I use here...

I am on X6, and tried your script, and....it gave me an "Abort Mission" warning...X5 vs. X6...

I am testing my hand at VB, which is going VERRRRRRRRRRRRY slow, but I hope to get this script of yours to work in X6.

Thanks for posting this...

But WHY does it dirty the operation when you change the program# or tool# ect. I am speaking about X6, I haven't tried X7 yet.

Because you have made a parameter change that affects the NCI file,...

If your having problems posting ALL the toolpaths you selected and Mastercam is only posting what seems like random toolpaths.

In the system config go to the page for toolpath manager, in the upper right corner of the page make certain that the NC file is set to prompt for the first operation also check that last operation is set,...

If the part was programmed in previous version of Mcam and you add tpaths then you should check to make certain the NC file names are matching,... when adding toolpaths to a part file I usually select all the tpaths, right click in the ops manger, edit selected ops, change NC file name

If the part was programmed prior to McamX V10 those toolpaths never had NC file names,....

Well, all I can say is that thing kicks @$$....except....

all the nci file names are being pre-cluded by "NCI"...(my group names are as such: "T18_M2_A" ...The script is changing the name to "nciT18_M2_A"

So close, so close...

Could you let me know what to change, so this "nci" text that is added onto the front of the file name could be eliminated...

Thanks again SO much...Friggin awesome....

So weird....

I have a template file I use, where ALOT of stuff is already defined, levels, starting geom I always use, Groups in ops mgr...

If I run the script in that file, "nci" is added to the front of the nci file names.

If I create a blank, brand new mcx6 file, import in some operations with groups, and then run the script, no "nci" added to the nci file name...

I know computers only do what they are told, but I believe mine is out to get me...

Once I figure this out, I will post what is causing this...

No matter, still a b}tchin script...Thanks for it....

Well, if I create a new Mill Machine Group, and take all my operations, and put those ops within that new machine group, guess what...no extra "nci" at the beginning of the names...

Guess I need to rebuild my template file...

Something weird in it...

Now that I think of it, I believe this template file is originally an X3 file that I brought up to X6...

When will I ever learn...

Oh well. I got all year...

Thanks again.

Consider an enhancement where the NC file name would come from the group name, and not be tied to individual operations.

I understand all the current options for starting the process. What I am suggesting is a foolproof system where all operations in a group would only post to a single file.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

If you look at the toolpath icon for an expanded toolpath folder in your operations manager you will see the toolpath size, name and program number displayed. You can also confirm your WCS setting and toolplane setting on the toolpath itself.

If you right click in the operation manager pane then open display options you can select what toolpath information to display (in the operations manager pane).

HTH