Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Mould toolpath suggestion

DavidB

Hi guys I'm machiing this large mould in Auminium and I was wondering how to generate a toolpath that does not give 90 degree transitions.

It's being run on an older machine and the 90 degree transitions leave marks in he mould.

Is here a way to get this hybrid toolpath or a scallop toolpath to collapse withe radius's in the toolpah?

PA45-AGMR-1_MOULD_SURFACES.MCX-6

I am a noob but are you talking about on the "open" side of your part? If that is an opening and you can let the tool run out of that side, would it help to extend the containment boundary on that side and put a nice corner radius on your 2d boundary?

Why the objection to the "knitting" lines?" We polish our molds and it's no biggie to get rid of the tool marks provide the step over amount is reasonable. Those are the tool paths with a small step over I run over night to get the most out of machining time and a good finish. "Surface Finish Constant Scallop" should give you a good, even finish. I usually stay away from the high speed tool paths, too many gouges in my experience.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Why the objection to the "knitting" lines?" We polish our molds and it's no biggie to get rid of the tool marks provide the step over amount is reasonable.

Because there is CAM software out there that will generate mold surface toolpaths without the need for polishing.

It's actually quite common now.

• Like 1

I don't have the ability to do it but I would be looking at a Hybrid path, using the newer smoothing settings and shifting the points randomly. You can also adjust the transition angle so you can get the position where you want it

That can alleviate the "zipper" line effect

I don't have the ability to do it but I would be looking at a Hybrid path, using the newer smoothing settings and shifting the points randomly. You can also adjust the transition angle so you can get the position where you want it

That can alleviate the "zipper" line effect

He is using that path.

I have exhausted the settings, I gave up

The problem with hybrid is, if it collapses a cavity out side in then

as iit cuts rads down the transitions become sharp

if there was a way to start from the center and cut to outside, then reverse the path and

direction so that it cuts from outside and climb mill then you would have exactly what

David is looking for.

IS there a way to get it to at minimum start from the inside to out?

@ JParis The toolpath in the Mastercam file I uploaded is a Hybrid toolpath.

@ Micromouldmaker The machine being used is an older machine and Im trying to see if I can get MC to do arc transitions in this case. But why would you want to polish a mould in this day and age. Its hard enough competing the Chineese

:)

@Brewster I have never been able to create a blend toolpath I just dont understand how to create one. Could you throw one over my uploaded MC file and upload it?

The problem with hybrid is, if it collapses a cavity out side in then

as iit cuts rads down the transitions become sharp

Id like to start from the outside in and work in as there are vertical walls. But your spot on with your comment once the corner rads have worked in the transitions turn into sharp corners.

On a new HS machine with a good controller this wouldnt be such an issue. But even for HSM wouldn't radi be better for the transitions?

Thats a given with most mold (not mould) situations.

theres never a one path solution (well almost never)

PEACE :D

Yeah especially before we had hybrid. Did a mold yesterday that hybrid finished beautifully with one path, but it had draft. Organic-shaped molds can often get away with scallop, but almost always a waterline/contour/flowline - hybrid can add that in

not sure if you'll like the direction of motion

*edit: if I attached the file it would help\

*second edit: After actually reading the initial posts I see it's the 90 degree transitions that are the problem, sorry! I assumed it was the transitions between the 90 degree wall and rad. that file still has 90 degree turns but you can use it as an example of a consistent hybrid path

PA45-AGMR-1_MOULD_SURFACES_TR.MCX-7