Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Contour with multipass

Hertz

Hey guys, am I able to somehow do a contour for a straight line and use the multipass with a small stepover (like dynamic milling) and have it retract radially instead of axially? Not sure if I'm explaining clear enough.

Basically a square part that needs half the depth and half the width removed. Finished part looks like an L shape solid. I want to feed along the X only instead of how the dynamic core path moves all around. So move in on Y, cut along X, clear out on y, come up a micro amount in Z, rapid back on X, back in on Y, lower Z, cut along X and so on. I understand it sounds like the dynamic toolpath but as I said, I'd like it to move on X only. That possible? Or is it possible to manipulate the dynamic path?

Peel mill is not the same it is designed to do the micro lift and feed rates. the idea is not to waste all that time go up and down when doing the toolpaths. One of my ideas with using peel for roughing open parts over Core Rough. Core rough to me is to much movement. If you want the Peel mill process with the constant retracts can change it 2.0 lift with 1000 imp feed rate. then you could write post logic that if it saw 1000 ipm feed rate it converted it to G00. Crazy talk, but I like Peel mill for roughing and doing everything in my power even if that means drawing geometry needed to use it.

Peel mill is not the same it is designed to do the micro lift and feed rates. the idea is not to waste all that time go up and down when doing the toolpaths. One of my ideas with using peel for roughing open parts over Core Rough. Core rough to me is to much movement. If you want the Peel mill process with the constant retracts can change it 2.0 lift with 1000 imp feed rate. then you could write post logic that if it saw 1000 ipm feed rate it converted it to G00. Crazy talk, but I like Peel mill for roughing and doing everything in my power even if that means drawing geometry needed to use it.

You say peel mill is designed to do the micro lift and feedrates.. This is what I meant by dynamic toolpaths being similar. I do the same with dynamic core, area, rest, etc. I truly adore these toolpaths,. I have to be honest, I have never used the peel mill option so I was only speculating from what I have seen. So what does the peel mill do that is different than the dynamic toolpaths?

Did you download the file? Sorry but to me that should pretty much sum it up. 2D Blend HST would not be my 1st choice and maybe I should have pointed it out and not assumed people would see how it would not be my choice for HST in those examples and peel mill shows it's true power and strength. The difference in the chains the Mastercam lettering all peel milled and then bottom 2 lines at it peel milled that HST process all the way. Just amazing what peel mill can do. I again prefer it over Core Rough as my open part 3D process. I even have started using it on 3D parts that are closed shape. I make the path to my depth where I can. I then do a ramp contour to make my start of peel mill work I then take surface finish contour and use it to step up the part. I get me process in like I want, I get my peel mill like I want and then I get the same step up that all the HST tool paths are doing. More work, but the program is what I want how I want and making the machine run good is worth my time.

Mike okay, but need to think about that and make sure you understand what that means. G00 moves are never arcs they are always linear moves. I throw out ideas to throw out ideas, but need to think it through and then go from there. My example file uses 10% filtering not the 95% default Mastercam uses. My example filé should pretty much cover the spectum of shapes se can se, but trem all. Verisurf has a slice utility for mess I would love to see CNC Software add to Silouette Boundary. Great it does shapes, but I would love to get cross sections and certain depths without Having to decide my depth go to front view offset my line then project it to the model to then get the cross sections I want. Pick a height for Silouette Boundary do it done. Want more depths than one do it done. Then you are off and running for peel. I am working on 3D Sample files and will be posting them up. Yeah I should be doing what some others are doing and making nice videos and charging everyone to learn, but just not my way. I am blessed to know the people I know from here and plus this forum stepped up an took care of me and my family when I was sick earlier this year so glad to give back to this place and people I am honored in most cases to call my friends.

• Like 1

Did you download the file? Sorry but to me that should pretty much sum it up.

I can't open it cause I'm at home but I'll check it out on Monday

So no I have not downloaded it yet. I will indeed take a look on Monday but I just wanted some more literature on the peel mill toolpath is all. Thanks again.

Ron, thanks for the file. D'loaded & saved for future ref!

Hertz, Ron's peel mill suggestion is the correct way to get what you are after. If the code is to large for your machine.... Try filtering it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down, it should not be much larger than the code from my file.

• Like 1

Ron, thanks for the file. D'loaded & saved for future ref!

Hertz, Ron's peel mill suggestion is the correct way to get what you are after. If the code is to large for your machine.... Try filtering it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down, it should not be much larger than the code from my file.

Yup, you are 100% right. I used the peel mill and it was much nicer. Just had to add 1 line of geometry so no big deal. It allowed me to move along the x axis just like I was looking for. Thanks Crazy and K2. God how far I'd be behind without the resources of this site. Appreciate it.