Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Extremely slow model compare

CamMan1

Anyone having issues with the model compare in UVBS being extremely slow. I was programming a part that I was doing model compare on this morning and it would take about 15 seconds to do the compare. After the MU1 update the same part is taking 2 to 3 minutes. Is there a setting that needs to be tweaked? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am thrilled with the upgrades that have been made to UVBS. The initial visual quality is somewhat lacking but I was able to bump up the Precision Factor to 5 from 4 and did not notice too big of a performance hit over SP2. It definitely is faster running the tool paths. I am programming a 280" part right now and the compare time is killing me. I thought that maybe the size of the part was a factor with compare but that's not it. I brought in a 24" part I did a while back and ran it and the compare was just as slow. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Hi CamMan1,

As Ron mentioned, please get in touch with your Reseller and/or [email protected] so we can get a file to test this on. (We might need to do a FTP file transfer if the file is too big).

Have you tried the comparison in Machine Simulation as well, or only in Verify? I'm curious if the Machine Simulation compare is just as slow?

Thanks,

Colin

I have never used model compare in machine simulation before. I didn't know you could in machine simulation. I ran the part in the machine simulator and used the refine view to get a resemblance of a part but could not find the compare function. I will contact MLC today if I get the time. Thank You Colin.

In order to gain some general performance benefits we have moved some pre-processing of the model for use in STL Compare. The effect this has is to make general use faster but the time to process the model in STL Compare is slower. We need to process the model somewhere and we were affecting all users before by pre-processing. Since not everyone uses STL Compare we felt that moving the processing to the compare function itself made more sense. We are working on making the processing faster as well but this was a short term fix that had benefits for most users

In order to gain some general performance benefits we have moved some pre-processing of the model for use in STL Compare. The effect this has is to make general use faster but the time to process the model in STL Compare is slower. We need to process the model somewhere and we were affecting all users before by pre-processing. Since not everyone uses STL Compare we felt that moving the processing to the compare function itself made more sense. We are working on making the processing faster as well but this was a short term fix that had benefits for most users

Thank you for that informative answer. Nice to know the reason behind the performance degradation in the compare function. Hopefully you can squeeze some more performance out of it in the future. Unfortunately for me I live by compare. I know I can blow out several toolpaths run the verify and compare and make sure I haven't made a mistake and then blow out a couple more toolpaths. It gives me a sense of security. I guess I will have to learn to let the compare process in the back ground while I work on my next toolpaths. I just hate having to backup several toolpaths to correct any mistakes. Well on the bright side UVBS has really come around with all the new features and faster verification performance.

Thank you once again Kenneth.

Yes Chris I agree. I know that with the new UVBS I will have to change up some of my programming habits but comparing in verify is not one I am willing to give up. I want to be able to see an area that I just cut and compare that area to the model. I can't see the cut taking place in Stock Model. With some of the complex shapes that I program I want to be able to see tool engagement and depth in certain areas and then be able to compare to the model in those areas. I don't believe I would be the only one who feels this way.

• Like 1