Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Swarf Milling Tool Path

oneyankfan1

Glenn Bowman. I will answer your question in two type of milling. if you roughed the blades all the way to the bottom and finish it with one contour in 6 steps yes i will cut like tilt strategy. but if you will want it to rough the step and finish each one separate than you need to work some Geo. and the good think about the new swarf is your have the options to use lines and upper curves and lower select them both at the same time. of course after you make them. then it will tilt away on the upper edge of the blade and cut on the lower edge toward the hub. and that's what i use to make this part. it lined up pretty good, program size 150 mg 12 hours run.

Johnaka - Those are great looking parts! I'm glad this is working out well for you!

OneYankFan1 & Camman - It looks like the forum/internet speed to post ate the post I replied to you with, so I'll retype it (I think I hit "post" and then closed the lid on my laptop, it must not have sent).. Sorry about the delay, I thought I had replied. Either way: The only things you can control is your surface tolerance & maximum angle allowed per step. I think you already know this based on previous conversations, but the maximum step per angle can be a big one for machine smoothness, just like the surface tolerance is big for surface smoothness. Basically, what max angle step does is look at a vector (and it may be 20" long, who knows?) and then look at the angle step from the beginning to end of it. It'll then break it into whatever sized chunks you've specified.

On multiaxis machines, I'm not in a habit of trying to minimize program size, as a lot of machines/controls with less than stellar accelleration & deceleration control can't handle multiaxis toolpaths with large vector size without gouges (or sometimes crashes!), but if you need to, then you want to look at those two settings.

All who reported it - Just to let you guys know, it looks like the bug #D-09273 has been squashed, so you'll see it fixed in X8. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Johnaka - Those are great looking parts! I'm glad this is working out well for you!

OneYankFan1 & Camman - It looks like the forum/internet speed to post ate the post I replied to you with, so I'll retype it (I think I hit "post" and then closed the lid on my laptop, it must not have sent).. Sorry about the delay, I thought I had replied. Either way: The only things you can control is your surface tolerance & maximum angle allowed per step. I think you already know this based on previous conversations, but the maximum step per angle can be a big one for machine smoothness, just like the surface tolerance is big for surface smoothness. Basically, what max angle step does is look at a vector (and it may be 20" long, who knows?) and then look at the angle step from the beginning to end of it. It'll then break it into whatever sized chunks you've specified.

On multiaxis machines, I'm not in a habit of trying to minimize program size, as a lot of machines/controls with less than stellar accelleration & deceleration control can't handle multiaxis toolpaths with small vector size without gouges (or sometimes crashes!), but if you need to, then you want to look at those two settings.

All who reported it - Just to let you guys know, it looks like the bug #D-09273 has been squashed, so you'll see it fixed in X8. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Thanks for the reply Aaron.

And yes you are correct on the fact that some machines can't handle large vectors without gouging. Got bit yesterday on 2nd to last toolpath before finishing part. But it was with using the Swarf 5 Axis not the new one.

Tryin' to make it easier :) So CamMan won't have gouges... I realized I typo'd above.. I meant "can't handle large vectors." It's edited now.

Yes that is correct. I filtered the toolpath to much and did not give it enough vectors "points" and when it swung around a radius and changed direction and angle it swept thru the comp floor on the machine. Unfortunately neither UVBS or machine simulation will catch that. Expensive way to learn a lesson.

Thanks Aaron

Sounds like you weren't using TCP (tool center-point control). That's a lesson we all have to learn at some point, unfortunately :(

Unfortunately we have a couple of SNK profilers that are built like a tank but do not support TCP. They are 1995 machines.with 16MA controls.