Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

D shaped turning

Greg_J

Hello,

Is there a way to turn a D shaped work piece?

There are limitations on the machine making the part and the max one could rotate the work piece.

If so what tool path would you use?

I have some ideas but I wanted to see what other people would use.

Thanks,

Greg

In a regular lathe, in theory you could write code to move the X and C axis, the C would have to move very slow and the X would have to move very quickly. I wouldn't be efficient but it could be done?

I believe I saw a video on Youtube I can't seem to find it.

With only X and C you wouldnt be able to maintain cutting edge clearance unless you had some crazy relief and at that point it would probably be to fragile to cut. Also, you will need some pretty good processing to be able to get any real metal removal. Usual C axis lathes are pretty light on the processing and look ahead department.

Mike

Previous place we did a load of work on implants which weren't regular 'spiral' for the thread but which were actual threads with radial and axial relief, so it cut into the bone easier...

The machine that was chosen by the brains behind it (and he was) was a dmg twin spindle because it had a siemens control and the ball screws were of such a pitch that the screws could respond (in and out) at a fast enough speed with the spindle running. Siemens being the fastest control as well (at the time).

It was real interesting until the company I was at went bankrupt just as we placed the deposit on the machine...

So to turn D, you are limited to chuck rotation and slide in and out response (speed), which apart from turning pistons (small oval) is impractical.

I've seen a machine with a driven head that is mounted on the X slide, and it rotated with a cutter in the same axis as the main chuck, but the X is synched to the C of the main spindle. So as the main spindle rotates at speed, and the driven head rotates at speed, the X axis moves the driven head 'in and out' to match the C position, this giving you a D.

Is this what you're thinking, because I looked on youtube and couldn't see it either :lol:

With only X and C you wouldnt be able to maintain cutting edge clearance unless you had some crazy relief and at that point it would probably be to fragile to cut. Also, you will need some pretty good processing to be able to get any real metal removal. Usual C axis lathes are pretty light on the processing and look ahead department.

Mike

^ This. Gotta have Y axis as well: