Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS tool probe

JeremyV

For those with a HAAS ( BLEH ) ... yea I know... they're "OK" ... but I was wondering how in the world could a carbide disc on the tool probe get worn out after 1-2 years of constant probing? I mean we have to constantly replace that little disc and I was wondering if there are alternate options where the material won't wear out as bad as carbide?

I have a .007 dip in the center of the disc and when i calibrated it 2 weeks ago, it was a tricky situation trying to find a decent flat surface to use.

We have mazaks that never have this problem at all. The haas is a head scratcher in this department and its a VF-6 at that.

I agree with Mike. This sounds like a "wear" item that you should replace on a schedule, as part of the machine service.

The other thing you should look into is possibly adjusting the feed rates in your probing macro. I've noticed they are quite fast from the factory. I have a friend with a Haas machine and we slowed down both the initial hit, and the final measurement speed. That seemed to make the measurements just a little bit more accurate and reduce the "chipping" on the face of the disc as well. I think the higher feed rates likely contribute to the disc wearing out faster.

JeremyV

I don't mean to hijack your thread but we just purchased a new Haas UMC-750 5-axis machine. A guy from Haas came out and setup up the machine. He used the probe to find the "machine rotary zero point" otherwise known as the center of rotation and then showed me how to use the tool probe. I set up a job and used the probe to set all my tools. All the tools seem to be cutting about -.005 too low in Z so my part thickness is coming out undersize. I'm trying to determine if the probe is setting the tool to low or the machine center of rotation is wrong. Any Suggestions? I would assume the tool probe would not be worn if it was brand new.

JeremyV

I don't mean to hijack your thread but we just purchased a new Haas UMC-750 5-axis machine. A guy from Haas came out and setup up the machine. He used the probe to find the "machine rotary zero point" otherwise known as the center of rotation and then showed me how to use the tool probe. I set up a job and used the probe to set all my tools. All the tools seem to be cutting about -.005 too low in Z so my part thickness is coming out undersize. I'm trying to determine if the probe is setting the tool to low or the machine center of rotation is wrong. Any Suggestions? I would assume the tool probe would not be worn if it was brand new.

Justin,

Your " what so called master gauge from HAAS" isn't master anymore.... " re-calibrated the gage, make sure that the number came from Haas 's factory is the same as the number on the gage, at this point I don't think that it is......if it both number are not the same, then set your gage number .005 higher.... the re-calibrated...

agreed with everyone else... need to take the disk out, grind, re-adjusted, indicate within .0005 or better, for it to work... happended numerous time with me.... there is no way out....

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up shifting the G54 Z offset by .0035 and the machine is making good parts now. The reason I shifted G54 Z is because Haas include a tool with the machine that has a known gage length and diameter. The length of the tool is 5.000. I ran that tool on the machine tool setter using the length non rotating setting and the offset was .4.9995. I don't have any way to check the tool so I have to assume the tool really is 5.000 inches. I have a few jobs to finish then I will go back and recalibrate the tool setter and run the probe program that checks the center of rotation and see if I get the same numbers. One other questions I have been wondering about the tool setter is do you set a tool with a corner radius the same way you set a tool with a sharp corner. For instance if I want to set the length on a .500 endmill with a .125 corner radius using the length rotating setting do enter .500 for the diameter of the endmill. I want to be sure the offset is being picked up from the flat on the bottom of the endmill and not a point somewhere on the corner radius. Once again sorry about the hijack. Let me know if I should start my own thread. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Quite alright, Justin =P

And @ lifetimewarranty... every 6 months? jeez....

Seems i forgot to keep track of this thread and didnt realize i needed to check it till now. Thx for the replies.

@ Crazy^Millman, sure, carbon steel, sounds like a plan there, till it wears out in a month ;-) Unless you actually mean some sort of very strong Tool Steel...

But seriously, ceramic? I thought ceramic chips more so than carbide would?

-JD

Crazy^Millman, sure, carbon steel, sounds like a plan there, till it wears out in a month ;-) Unless you actually mean some sort of very strong Tool Steel...

But seriously, ceramic? I thought ceramic chips more so than carbide would?

Crazy is talking about spindle probe styli. Not tool probe. The reason you want to go with ceramic is so it will just snap off at over travel. Not bend and give you inaccurate results.

Mike

One other questions I have been wondering about the tool setter is do you set a tool with a corner radius the same way you set a tool with a sharp corner. For instance if I want to set the length on a .500 endmill with a .125 corner radius using the length rotating setting do enter .500 for the diameter of the endmill. I want to be sure the offset is being picked up from the flat on the bottom of the endmill and not a point somewhere on the corner radius. Once again sorry about the hijack. Let me know if I should start my own thread. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Justin,

Yes, you still define it as a .500 dia regardless of the corner radius. You'll want to make sure that your Edge Measure Height is larger than your corner rad though so the diameter will be detected properly. I usually go .1 to .15 bigger than the corner rad. So, if I had a .750 dia bull nose with .125 corner rad, I would input an edge measure height of .250.

Thad

Crazy is talking about spindle probe styli. Not tool probe. The reason you want to go with ceramic is so it will just snap off at over travel. Not bend and give you inaccurate results.

Mike

DOH! thanks.

@ Justin, if you really wanted to accurately calibrate the probe so you won't have to back off your G54 Z offset and get good results, use an endmill that is already measured, touch off with the endmill, but don't forget to add/subtract the difference to the Z offset based on your tool length.

Then use the touch probe and measure the same spot and note the difference. You can adjust your work probe length to accomodate any difference between the tools and the work probe. This is one way of going at it. I'm sure others have alternate methods.