Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NEED OF POST FOR FANUC 0i-TB

SURESHBABU

quote:

If you're planning on doing anything complex, I would make sure a functioning post is INCLUDED in the sale. In writing, of course.

+100,and if you have some 'funky' control,why wouldn't you make sure you got a 'special' post from your dealer for this machine at the time of your software sale?

And baitor,please learn how to do a "QUOTE". biggrin.gif

[ 10-11-2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: BUCKET HEAD ]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come guys you picking on my spelling again geeeees. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

It was once said a person with passion for what they do and believe in has a life that will be full. I like the old saying you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day or you can teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. I have taught a lot of people against some heavy advice not too things in life.

I don’t do anything for free sir I do it cause I was lucky enough to be given my talent by god and a person who freely shares and gives of himself or herself will be rewarded some way and somehow in life. I stand up for what is right always have always will that is the person I am and doing the right thing is to me is the most important. I do it cause I like I do it cause I enjoy the accomplishment of doing a job well done.

It seems like an insult to that and the person I am when I get what I feel in some cases not all are the pirates coming in and asking for free things. It is wrong no matter which way you stack, it rack, or pack it. I was sharing a seat where I am at now when I got here I pissed some off but we have 2 seats of Matercam now and we were going to have it even if I had to buy the thing myself.

Please see that you are welcome in here and it is the difference in people that make this place what it is. If we were all the same person that what kind of fun would that be.

PS to all my spelling coaches I did a spell check in word with this one so nahhhhhhhh. J/K biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Crazy Millman

a couple of thoughts...

1. when i first started using MasterCam, i had no idea how much work was involved with modifying posts (probably due to the fact that roger martin was at my dealer at the time and most of the mod's he made for me were quick and easy for him). its, nice that some people can spend hours upon hours modifying posts to get them how they want. i, unfortuneatly (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), don't have the time to do this. now i'm not saying people should be coming on here asking for free posts. but i've also seen people ask where they can get a post for whatever and some people take this opportunity to jump on them for asking for a post. maybe they aren't looking for a free one,and simply telling them to contact their dealer will suffice.

2. believe it or not but some people just aren't aware of the piracy problem of software in general around the world, let alone with MasterCam. I for one,didn't understand the magnitude of the situation until coming on here and reading about it. your probably right 90% of the time when you call out someone on here looking for posts as being pirates, but what about the 10% of people who probably don't want to be using the software in the first place but are giving it a try because the boss wants to see what it can do. should we help them or give them a false sense of what this forum community is all about. if i didn't know better, and read some of the posts on here, i'd probably make a huge mistake and move on to another software.

3. buckethead... how do you get the quote setup the way everyone does it? chances are i'm not the only one who doesn't know! biggrin.gif

thanks,

biss

Like this biggrin.gif

quote:

buckethead

quote:

how do you get the quote setup the way everyone does it?

look under the reply window, see the quote button?

highlight the text to quote

click the button

paste the text between the

text here

drop in the bucket (no pun intended) cheers.gif

[ 10-13-2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: MayDay ]

biss, use the QUOTE button below the ADD REPLY button. (There's URL, BOLD QUOTE and several others) when you're replying to messages.

quote:

some people take this opportunity to jump on them for asking for a post.

Are you trying to take all the fun out of this?? wink.gif

Seriously, if you look back thru the majority of posts of this nature, the guys that were flamed for it, and came back after 'finding the light', have become outstanding members of this forum. The ones that have a serious attituted when we 'show them the light', are generally the ones we're out to bash, because they're the ones that don't seem to be 'legit'.

Yes, some care could be taken on the initial posts, but referring them to the dealer BEFORE referring them to the FFAQ is not going to happen, (for most of us anyway..) biggrin.gif

'Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...its, nice that some people can spend hours upon hours modifying posts to get them how they want. i, unfortuneatly (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), don't have the time to do this...

I don't know ANYONE that does postwork that has the "time" for it. We do it out of necessity. Look at it this way. If everytime you post a program for a particular machine you spend 5 minutes editing the final result and it takes you say 5 postings to get the speeds/feeds dialed in for production use, you've spent 25 minutes of company time that you did not necessarrily have to spend. Multiply that over the course of a month or so and you've probably wasted well over 8-10 hours unnecessarrily editing code. Editing code is a Non-Value Added task. So those hours spend editing posts is time VERY well spent. True it does not pay a divedend immediately but over the course of a year, those few hours spent editing a post paid for itself well over 10x. I don't have the time to edit posts willy nilly but I can justify the time I spend doing it without even breaking out a calculator.

I've spent hundreds of hours on my own time honing my skills, that coupled with the help of my local reseller (Thanks Glenn, Dennis, Chris and Tom) has helped turn me into a proficient post guy. So if you can justify breathing you can justify getting your posts modified or learning to modify them yourself.

JM2C

And don't forget another big reason for getting a post dialed in properly; when editing the .NC file manually there is always the chance for small, stupid mistakes that can send a machine south quickly!

This to me is way more valuable than the time spent editing the post.

thanks for the tip on quotes. i guess i should scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. biggrin.gif Point taken Req'd. i wouldn't want to take away anyones fun! my point was that it some times seems like people are out there waiting for someone to jump on because they are having a bad day (myself included).

James... i agree with what your saying, but if i were to stop working on the project i'm doing know and start modifying my post to get it exactly how I want it,and my boss were to ask me if i was done with the project in a day or two and i'm not.. he would go thru the roof! he wouldn't care that i'm actually making myself more productive in the long run. the biggest problem is my company has a tendency of waiting till the last minute to start on projects so we are always behind the 8 ball with timing constraints. i would love to be able to get my posts tweaked for my tendencies but it's just not realistic for me to spend the time doing it. because what might take someone who knows post language an hour or two to modify would probably take me all day! tongue.gif i'd love to be able to spend my own time working on honing my skills but i work at least 50 hours a week, go to school almost full-time and have a wife and 2 young boys(not to mention coaching HS baseball in the spring). i know, i know we all have our problems. not really an excuse but it is an answer. you also talk alot about your reseller. how close are you to yours? i'm a good 3 hours away. anyways, thanks for the reply.

oh yeah, james one more thing:

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!

biss,

Just a suggestion, but how would your boss react if you went to him and told him you need a MINIMUM of 1/2 hour EACH AND EVERY DAY to get your posts dialed in? Take him some numbers of how much time you spend tweaking NCs, and then explain that he'll save money if he gives you this time. If you're spending more than 1 or 2 minutes editing each program, it will add up in no time.

'Rekd

+1 on Rekd I harldy every touch my posted program that last one I had problems with was a 4th axis part and it was the post had to end up with a new one all together. I waste more time putting out fires around this place than post issues. I understand your busy so like Rekd said explain that to your boss and if you dont have the time then give your dealler and example of what you consider a good program and one that mastercam post out and have him quote you on a cost to make it to your liking I think you will be suprised how much tne go back to him and say here is what I think it will take me to do it. Here is what we are losing per job the way it is and here is what the dealer want ot fix it. Or you could be so bold as I am I tell them I pay for the post mod out of my pocket if I am saving you 10 minutes everytime I post a program then you give me 10 dollars everytime the program is posted after about 10 or 20 times I think the light will come on. I had a job that was taking 2-1/2 hours each just to put holes in 4150 HT the way they were doing it. I tried everything I could think of to get the to get an inserted drill owner said we couldn't afford it. I bought the dame thing myself and cut 42 hours off the job from the last time we did it. I paid me back forthe drill and the inserts but you think I got anything more than that hell no. Life is what you make it you want to make it easier on you than make it you want it to be what it is then alwats will be just what it is.

Crazy Millman

Crayz Millman

[ 10-14-2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

+1 to James, rekd, gcode and everybody else.

I would think if you're paying a lot of $$$ for a program you should probably make sure it comes with a post to run your machine before signing anything.

[exaggerated for sake of comedy]

First Post Processing experience -> "The new machine is here. The dealer sent over a post said it should be close. Here's what it should look like. No hurry we only need it 2 or 3 days." eek.gif What's a post again?

2nd experience about a year later -> "The new machine is here. This is what it should look like. We need it by tomorrow." eek.gif Of course this was 30 Minutes before I was going home.

3rd experience. Just last week -> "The new machine is here. This is what it should look like. We need it by this afternoon." eek.gifeek.gif

quote:

I will ask this question of you have you created something or worked hard on something that you had about 200 hours in and then give it away to perfect stranger no questions ask

Actually, yep I have. smile.gif See my sig. But on the other hand I do have chooks and programs I wouldn't give away without lots of money first. biggrin.gif

Bryan smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

you also talk alot about your reseller. how close are you to yours? i'm a good 3 hours away. anyways, thanks for the reply.

I'm only an e-mail away. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

They could be 1/2 way across the planet and they woudl still be an e-mail away.

+1 to all Bryan ,James, rekd, gcode and everyone else .

SURESHBABU .

Welcome to the board !

What always makes me wonder why people rushes for a free posts from somebody if they have a post?

To risk your part and machine ?

To check all the first couple of days all the posted programs manually all through ?

Haven`t seen a bad machine crash because of the post ?

WTF!

I will never risk it having a post !

Better to modify the post you have .

And don`t expect presents (free stuff )here .

If somebody gives you something he is not obliged

to do this !

It is his good will .

And don`t forget to say thank you .

And try to be a helping hand .

And you will be respected

Iskander teh gentelman

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

oh yeah, james one more thing:

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!

SC is going to come into YOUR house and wreck the furniture! I'm guessing SC will be up by 21 at the half. At the end of the game it will look like the SC/Stanford matchup.

GO Trojans!!!!!

Excuse me, but I've been following this post, and this forum for a few weeks now. I am new to MC, however I have been in this business for 30 years. Before cam had graphics, using prg's like compactII for 5 axis work. all command line and math,(always a real challenge to sculpturing) then on to Unigraphics, through version 14, odd programs that I had to learn like fortran 77, and all of these programs required post's and the knowledge to 'tune' them for the correct output. I've built 5 axis post's for the big blues and multi-axis post's for turning centers. I've trained people to setup and run cnc equipment and to program it as well. But I've always found that the real power of knowledge, is sharing that knowledge. And the most gratification I've ever realized is when I trained someone, and saw that they had learned. I am 'tinkering ' with a post now, and some of the things in it are confusing.

the notes say "to eliminate the 4th axis say no to this" but by doing that and saying no, other things have changed and the fourth axis is still put out. I'll figure this out, no fear. But to someone less patient the frustration could be tough, and when you have a boss standing over your shoulder, you tend to get a little desperate, and go looking for whatever 'help' you can find. Some of us are fortunate enough to have time to even come to this forum, others don't even have access to it. I'm kinda glad it's here, but hey that's just me.

I understand the ideology of why not to offer someone a post, but how you choose to do it, says alot about who you are. And may reflect on the others in this forum. wink.gif

Well so much for introductions.

Since several of these recent posts seem to be bitching about the "attitude" of Matt and myself toward some of the requests for post 'help' that have been coming in lately I guess I'll need to restate my position.

1) I have worked, and continue to work, on our posts to get good, edit-free, code to come directly out of Mastercam and into our machines because without this kind of flow the software is MUCH less useful to us.

2) We had a couple of significant crashes in the past 2 years that were directly attributed to manual editing of CAM-generated programs because the code wasn't posting right. Since we probably had $20K worth of repairs and downtime involved in these incidents I'd say that the 40 hours worth of learning and fooling with the posts spread over several weeks was well worth the $$ because I never need to worry about that particular problem again.

3) Editing your own posts is much more productive than paying for it on simple [Haas-,Fanuc-, Yasnac-, Okuma-controlled] 3 and 4 axis machines because you get code just like you want, you know why you get what you get, and if you want to move the M09 up one line next month you don't need to ask someone else (or pay them) to do it.

4) Cry me a river with this 'I wish I had the time' crap. I have 2 kids, 2 jobs, a 55 mile commute each way to work; I have nothing to do so I just sit around and play with posts and talk on the forum? I have a boss and work to do just like everyone else does but if I spend an hour or two at night or on the weekends dialing something in; isn't that in my company's best interest AND mine?

All of us on this forum who do post editing take care of problems for each other all of the time without any static as long as the requesting party is willing to put in some time on their end and doesn't come in with their hand out bitching about how Mastercam's posts aren't any good.

Enough said

C

time to try this quote technique out:

quote:

SC is going to come into YOUR house and wreck the furniture! I'm guessing SC will be up by 21 at the half. At the end of the game it will look like the SC/Stanford matchup.

GO Trojans!!!!!

i don't know about that. we've had bad teams in the past but look at the last 10 games at ND... SC is 1-10 in those games. that top 10 ranking is pretty lofty to me - especially after losing to a lowly Cal team. ah how easy the pollsters forget! either way, i'll be there in person so i'll be thinking about ya when we're scoring at will biggrin.gif

chris m...

i wasn't aiming at anyone specifically. but it sounds like you need to take a look at who is editing your programs if they caused you major crashes. my problem (which really isn't a problem because i'm not looking for any free help) is that each project i do is different - not the machine it posts to but the way it needs to be outputed. i do mainly production machining 3/4 axis work on Haas verticals and Mori Horizontals, so the work i do isn't really complex. you said:

quote:

3) Editing your own posts is much more productive than paying for it on simple [Haas-,Fanuc-, Yasnac-, Okuma-controlled] 3 and 4 axis machines because you get code just like you want, you know why you get what you get, and if you want to move the M09 up one line next month you don't need to ask someone else (or pay them) to do it.

the problem is if I don't know how to edit even simple stuff, how is this more productive then taking a minute or two to make the change to the NC program?(by the way, i've figured out how to do some editing but i'm using this example to hopefully illustrate a point).

quote:

4) Cry me a river with this 'I wish I had the time' crap. I have 2 kids, 2 jobs, a 55 mile commute each way to work; I have nothing to do so I just sit around and play with posts and talk on the forum? I have a boss and work to do just like everyone else does but if I spend an hour or two at night or on the weekends dialing something in; isn't that in my company's best interest AND mine?

i'm going to leave this alone.i just don't see what is wrong with anyone coming in here and asking :

quote:

We are using mplfan for generating codes presently. let me know whether a specific post processor for fanuc Oi-TB is available.

if available link us to that site.

to me this isn't asking for a free one,but rather wondering if one exists. and if you happen to have one that works really good, why not reply with something like " i have one that works well,once you can show your not using illegal software, i'd be glad to help you out for a price." this is a free country, you can do that. who knows if the originator of this thread is legit or not, but i'm pretty sure after the way he was treated he will not be coming back.

somewhere i read where a high school senior was looking for help with learning the software and nobody even thought for a minute that he might not be legit. someone said this dying industry needs more people getting interested and i'm wondering why the 2 situations are different.

i hope i'm not jeopardizing my position within this community but i feel strongly about these things because i remember being the new guy. i don't think i came in here the wrong way, but i think i am/was in good standing with the forum members. i respect everyones opinion and only ask that everyone respects mine. i am a legit user who unfortunately doesn't get to use MasterCam to its full potential (by the sound of some of the pretty cool stuff people are using it for). i think Mastercam is geared towards creating molds and other complex machine operations,which i do not do. but i wouldn't trade it for any other package out there simply because of this forum.

to quote chris m one last time:

quote:

Enough said

[ 10-14-2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: biss03 ]

+1 Chris! cheers.gif

Welcome to the forum, Maziac. Nice first post. biggrin.gif

quote:

..how you choose to do it, says alot about who you are.

I don't have any problems with 'who I am'. If anyone else does, that's fine. If they can't live with it, then they can't learn from it either. I'm not here for a personality contest. Generally, if I'm being an xxxx, it's (usually) not un-founded. I don't just arbitrarily pick someone out of the crowd and start badgering them.

I'll help ANYONE that's willing to learn, but will help NO-ONE that wants everything given to them, and worse, EXPECTS to get it, and even worse, having an attitude about not getting it or being told 'how' to get it.

Go thru and read some of the history of this forum. I've been here for a few years, and have been up and down all roads both in and out of this place. I'm not going to hold anybody's hand and soothe them and coo them and tell them it's ok. If you're here to learn, you'll do just that. But like I've said SOOOOO many times before, this place is a COMMUNITY. It's a place to LEARN. It's not a place to come in and expect us to give out our hard earned knowledge for free to people that just want a quick fix and are going to bitch if they can't get it. Sorry, it just doesn't work like that.

Remeber, 99% of the peolpe here are not getting paid to help anyone. We're not responsible for your success or failure, but we can help you to succeed if you want to succeed. You'll just have to learn to play nicely with the rest of the kids. If you can't do that, (usually easily acheived by simply reading the FFAQ), then you prolly won't get much from here.

BTW, this isn't directed AT you, Maziac, it is more of a generalization of myself and my 'attitude' towards others. (An attitude that's (not suprisingly) shared by several others here)

'Rekd teh hate begets hate, respect begets good NC code

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...i'll be there in person so i'll be thinking about ya when we're scoring at will...

Ok, ok, put the Bong down and step into reality!!! biggrin.gifwink.gif

As for their ranking, 5 of the top 10 teams fell this past weekend so their move back up was warranted, ESPECIALLY after the pounding on the ground AND in the air they treated Stanford to. They are a relatively young squad that will only get better.

Thank you for the welcome, I wasn't trying to stir any pots here, so I hope no one took this personally. Yes it would be ncie if newbies took the time to read the FAQ, since it is at the top, but most of the time I've found it simpler to ignore someone who is out of line, and usually they go away or get the hint.

hey BISS,

one thing i have found for editing the post's is try to start with one of the masters that have only been changed by the pros, like mpfan. this has the fanuc controls in it. mastercam main menu, file, edit, pst. when you select the file to start with, it will bring it up in the deault editor, or you can choose another one. I prefer the cimco. but before you make any changes, save as the file so you dont blow the original. alot can be done with the settings sections, without getting into the logic. give it a try, dont make very many changes before you test though. Heck, before long you will be an old pro in there.

and I'm not so sure about the irish thing.