Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Broken lines on contour

Hertz

Hi guys, Anyone know how I can perform a straight line contour toolpath that consists of the line being broken in many pieces to output one X movement instead of multiples?

Example I have a straight contour in X that is 4" long. I have that entity broken in 4 places because of other contours. Without drawing the straight unbroken line on another level, how can I stop the post from outputting multiple X moves. So basically instead of going x-4 to x4, it goes x-4 to x-2 to x0 to x2 then to x4. Not those numbers exactly but you get the idea.

Ok thanks. I can't join them as one because it interferes with my other contours using the same entity. I'll just put it on another level. Thank you.

Things like that are a GREAT use of levels

I drew 4 1" lines connected and did a contour but set filter at 1-1 and a 6" cut tolerance and it posted as 1 line cut.

Interesting take on this.

What machine has memory that small that it would be necessary? I remember having to worry about program size back in the anilam crusader M days but now......

I drew 4 1" lines connected and did a contour but set filter at 1-1 and a 6" cut tolerance and it posted as 1 line cut.

You may find situations where it works but beware, this isn't the best way to deal with it.

Not in my opinion at least

Drawing the straight unbroken line from the first endpoint of the first line (x-4)to the last endpoint of the last line (x4) is the right way to to it.

Putting it on a different level is also a good idea so you can easily identify it when picking geometry for the contour toolpath.

Giving the level an intuitive name like 'single line' is also a good idea in case someone else looks at your model and toolpaths at a later date.

When they see the level named 'single line' they should be able to figure out what you did. ;)

Interesting take on this.

What machine has memory that small that it would be necessary? I remember having to worry about program size back in the anilam crusader M days but now......

This machine accept 450kb's maximum file size. I have already surpassed that using a rest mill toolpath on a different part. Besides, I try to make the code look as neat as possible. Multiple X moves in a program looks crappy and congests the program for nothing.

Can you drip feed? I remember doing a mold for a turbine housing, surface finish radial in MC9 on my anilam before I got rid of it. I had to split it in like 9 or 11 pcs to get it to work and each segment took about 6 minutes to load in memory.

Can you drip feed? I remember doing a mold for a turbine housing, surface finish radial in MC9 on my anilam before I got rid of it. I had to split it in like 9 or 11 pcs to get it to work and each segment took about 6 minutes to load in memory.

Yup, I certainly can. I'm still waiting however for IT to get the necessary card and adapter.