Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MORPH BETWEEN 2 CURVES BEST TOOLPATH EVER

crazy^millman

this got me thinking. What if we start a thread or something where everyone gives an example of how they use different toolpaths. For instances, have thread called "surface finish blend" and we all post an example of how we use that toolpath. And so on....Most of us are self taught mc programmers so all we know is what ever we figured out on our own. I think this way we can all learn different ways to use a toolpath that we might not have known. Also make sure we include all skill levels,

Brandon I have 100's of Mastercam files download from he forum and the FTP and for that very purpose. What I have been doing on this place for the last 11 years, along with a bunch of others.

We are ignorant Fanboi because we cannot me all perfect like John B. I have my share of rants and complaints about things that need to be addressed, but this is a place to help each other. I can show you my email chains with QC and 20 other people at CNC about things I have asked to be addressed in the Software. Funny some people are about self and calling me ignorant and uneducated because I take a tool I have and use it to the best of my ability is complete Pig Slop.

K2 shoot me a section of area you are having problems with hopefully something I can share and will be glad to assist.

Sam Karlo does tons of traveling I am sure it was not intentional.

• Like 1

Thank you Glenn for the link to Modulework's help file. After changing the unblock permission, I also had to change file type to Microsoft® HTML Help. I wasn't able to open it any other way.

On another note I have a question now....after looking at the Moduleworks's help file- why can't the Mastercam help file be more like this help file? The explanation is clear and concise. There are great pictures. There are interactive videos showing the topic. The only thing that I see is missing, is a link to a sample file that give the remaining pieces of the puzzle. This is an excellent help file compared to what I have become accustomed to seeing. Nice work Moduleworks! Anyone else think the same thing?

The blend between the 2 toolpaths is (obviously) not perfect...

I would need to "flair" up the edges of the morph toolpath that we came up with.... the customer is really picky..... there is a really small ridge between the 2 paths. circled in green in the pic.

post-30600-0-55014500-1400250345_thumb.png

Ron Happy TGIF To You You May be CRAZY but you do some Pretty Cool Stuff, and I Look forward To Reading The Info In Your Posts and Checking out the cool vids or examples of The Crazy Work You Get Wrapped up into. All Of the Trials And errors You and i and others that are in this trade are usually learned in the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS and when you find the answers to the issues its like winning the Lottery!! So Ron I THANK YOU For all Your Hard Work And the Effort that goes into the work that you do and then the sharing that you do on this board and elsewhere. With out this info and the rest from everyone that shares on this forum, we would not have be able to get this info without a lot of years and time in many different types of industries that have metal working as some part of the trades that we all do. A little rambling but

Thanks Again Ron

Now if i can use that tool path on something that would be Cool!!! Keep On Keeping On Crazy !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Here you go sir. Pretty as a the Mona Lisa if I do say so myself. I would use the 1/4 tool leaving .01 and then come back with the 1/16 to finish. I did lock it to 4th axis output where the C axis will move the head will stay locked. I could do some axis limits and do it full 5 axis, but for the idea I thought this was good enough. I did just the inside area with kicking the head in the head page over and made it a C axis toolpath with the head kicked if you wanted to add a coolness factor to it.

Thanks you for putting up that file. It just shows how versatile this toolpath really is.

I have been trying for about 2 hours to upload this file to dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgqoh3ci5iylzmz/5TH%20AXIS%20HELP%20TRY%20MORPH.zip?dl=0

HTH

• Like 1

On your problem look in the collision control. You have 4 options here to decide things. I used Flute and Shaft and set me Strategy and Parameters I have Retract tool and Along Tool Axis as my option. There are 5 options here under the 1st drop down and 12 under the 2nd drop down. Under Geometry I used Check Surfaces with stock to leave as Zero and Tolerance .0005.

Hey Ron,

I want to take a look at the parameters, but I get a message "your SIM is not enabled for the necessary product." I'm assuming it is a Mazak post I am not licensed for.

Can you change this over to a generic Haas post and repost it so I can have a look at the parameters?

Thanks.

Thanks Ron, but I wanted to do the entire outside profile in one shot...(replace the parallel cuts path).

I was able to get the morph to work on the fillet surf. I am using that after the parallel cut path (in which I used the fillet surf as a check leaving a couple thou stock). But the teeny tiny step that results from having 2 toolpaths gives the customer something (albeit small) to B*tch about.

Thanks again!

Crazy I was referring to the 100s of sample files you were talking about a few posts ago.

Oh well those on this computer in my MCX folder for different version I have collected over the years. Sorry I was not clear enough in my explanation file like this file for example. When I have time I take files like this and try out different toolpaths.

Hey Ron,

I want to take a look at the parameters, but I get a message "your SIM is not enabled for the necessary product." I'm assuming it is a Mazak post I am not licensed for.

Can you change this over to a generic Haas post and repost it so I can have a look at the parameters?

Thanks.

Reko do you have Lathe enabled on your sim? If not copy the operations over to a Mill Toolpath group and should be able to see them.

HTH

Thanks Ron, but I wanted to do the entire outside profile in one shot...(replace the parallel cuts path).

I was able to get the morph to work on the fillet surf. I am using that after the parallel cut path (in which I used the fillet surf as a check leaving a couple thou stock). But the teeny tiny step that results from having 2 toolpaths gives the customer something (albeit small) to B*tch about.

Thanks again!

Okay I can make Morph mimic that toolpath all day long, but the tool you are using the the process will yield those kind of results. Only way you will not get those results is go to a smaller tool and approach it a different way. Are you looking to produce a good quality part? Just looking for something to get it done? I can use the edges of your part and make Morph between 2 curves follow the same process. It will spiral and I can have it do it 5 axis or 4 axis with the head locked, but again cutting those areas like this with that size tool will yield less than desirable results in my humble opinion. Semi finish with the 1/4 and then come back and finish with the 1/16 and see the difference in the quality of the part. Must and only want to use a 1/4 then your customer has to understand they are going to get what they are going to get, if allowed to use smaller tools then will be able to meet the better quality I think you are looking for.

but again cutting those areas like this with that size tool will yield less than desirable results in my humble opinion.

^^^This is my issue. I need a min toolpath radius setting for parallel cuts LOL! (and an adaptive cuts option). Here is a pic (a bad compressed pic...) of what the part looks like when using 2 toolpaths... It looks like I am going too deep with the 2nd path, but I am not.... if anything I am actually a bit high on the fillets.

post-30600-0-53819500-1400267811_thumb.jpg

Ya I try and save some of the files you guys post for future reference. I just thought we could organize a public library of different toolpath examples for all of us to easily go back and review. Everyone uses every toolpath differently. Maybe the way I use it a tp is different from you, them we all can get new ideas on what can be done with that tp

Well I can cut it with Morph and if you turn down the cut tolerance to .0001 and the maximum distance to .005 on the Cut Pattern and then under Advance Options for Surface Quality with chaining tolerance to .01 and clicking on the adaptive cuts. That might help, but I would look to do everything but the area I gave you one way and then do that area a different way. Will give you the quality I think you are looking for. The file became huge when I did that so not easily shared, but it should help you out here.

scratch that do it without adaptive cuts checked.

Edited by Crazy^Millman

Ya I try and save some of the files you guys post for future reference. I just thought we could organize a public library of different toolpath examples for all of us to easily go back and review. Everyone uses every toolpath differently. Maybe the way I use it a tp is different from you, them we all can get new ideas on what can be done with that tp

That is what the FTP was meant for, but since they started allowing people to put file on here that has declined greatly. Also since we have a limit I only keep my files up for a month or 2 and then I clean out my account. Why I started using dropbox links as well so what I put up will be there for hopefully some time for future reference for others.