Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

120 DEG Drill points in a Mainfold.

crazy^millman

Okay so I have a project that has 2 manifolds. The parts have a 120 deg drill point in the bottom of all drill holes. The intersect and where they intersect all transitions cannot have a sharp edge or feather. They have to be with .03R to .06R everywhere they meet. I asked for a ruling since I am using coolant through 130 deg drills I was thinking of just hitting the depth remolding the area where 130 hit and then program my blends from there. Never got an answer so I am trying to finish up my tool list and running out of time.I am thinking I either have from tools made with the 120 deg points for my 15 different sizes which means a whole lot of custom tools, go to gun drills which seem to be about the only thing with 120 deg points that will be 10 to 20 times longer than I need. I have even bounced around 120 included angle chamfer mills but hanging a 1/2 tool 2.4" out to machine a drill angle does not sound like fun either. Flight Critical parts and already had a REV Change in the process. What have those of you that have had to deal with parts like this done?

Some engineers are more flexible than others, and it's sometimes hard to guess. There may be no reason at all for a 120 deg pont, or there may be a real good reason. Can you drill them with your coolant through drills, a tad high, then go back in with a HSS drill ground to 120 deg and pick out the point?

I saw this tons at my last gig.....we even just expected it. At first we did what you first suggest, run your high performance 130 deg drill to depth then chase it with a 120 deg point. That made our tooling packages much larger than it need to be, so we had the crib modify the drill points to 120 deg. This worked better than expected. We did have to spot drill the holes first tho. Material was 7050 alum. Our typical tool package for finishing a large manifold could run well over 200 tools...so i can relate on trying to minimize your package.

Thought about going with the 130 degree tools made into 120 degree, but was trying to avoid that as well. 7075 so right along with what you were thinking.

Yes Angular tolerance of .5 deg so the 118 was out as well. They went by the AS5202 tool ends and are just not educated on manufacturing processes. Some have a .015 area left of the drill point and I have to figure out how to fit a .03R blend from that to the adjoining hole. Good times and I let the project manager know 25% of the programming on these parts is the remodeling of the parts to make them. 25% of the project was the tooling that needed to be called out. The other 50% was the actual programming of the parts. True to form he was unaware there was that much involved, but of course are you done yet?

Thought about going with the 130 degree tools made into 120 degree, but was trying to avoid that as well. 7075 so right along with what you were thinking.

As much as I hate using non "off the shelf" tooling sometimes it's the nature of the beast. At least in 7075 you can expect decent life. Custom tools in Ti or 15-5....yikes on having to stock customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what's up Jay.

I still feel bad about that. :(

It was not your fault and never thought twice about it till this thread. Things happen for a reason my friend and been great to work with you in the different place I have had the chance. Going up to Oregon was fun that time and we would not have the kick butt Renishaw Macros had it not been for that work so many years ago we worked on together. Many blessings over the years and even the ones were things go wrong are still blessings.

I agree. We are blessed men.

I would not be at the best shop eva had I not worked there. The way you were treated was the beginning of the end for me there. You just don't do that to people. Specially friends of mine.

Those macros are cool, aren't they?

They are in all the posts I make.