Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Serial Port question?

Batman

I have recently upgraded from a laptop running XP to a PC running Windows 7.

The problem I'm having is that I can not get my files to down load via serial port to my MiniMill. I get the Mini to say "loading" but no lines or file ever show up. On the PC's end it says sent, but I know by how fast it does it that nothing was sent ( running at 9600). I have repeatedly checked com1 settings to be sure everything matches. I even re-hooked up the old laptop to be sure the cable still worked and I sent over a file without a hitch.

So, I'm hoping that someone out there might have had a similar issue and can give me some insight as to a solution to this. My 8hrs plus trying to resolve this is driving me crazy

thanks

I'm using MC X7 with the built in editor and communications software. I've searched for other communication software, but my understanding is that Hyperterminal is no longer provided with Windows 7 and the web pages that offer a replacement all seem to want to load a bunch of other &^%&^%

On the other response...Sorry for my ignorance, but what are FIFO buffers? I will look into it next time I'm in front of the computer.

Jay and Colin,

thanks for the feedback

I did turn off the FIFO button as you indicated. I have gone through all the known places I can adjust communications parameters, (the control panel in windows, the settings menu and machine definition in MC and the software that selects the file to transfer.) I also rebooted the PC to be sure the changes were in fact made.

I still can't get it to do anything more than say "loading" on my MiniMill and a rapidly popped up window in MC that say "transfer complete"

Any other ideas?

I'm using MC X7 with the built in editor and communications software. I've searched for other communication software, but my understanding is that Hyperterminal is no longer provided with Windows 7 and the web pages that offer a replacement all seem to want to load a bunch of other &^%&^%

On the other response...Sorry for my ignorance, but what are FIFO buffers? I will look into it next time I'm in front of the computer.

If you want hyperterminal all you need to do is grab the hypertrm.exe & hypertrm.dll from your xp box. (you could also get the .ht file for the setting if you saved it.)

:Edit: somewhere in the windows directory tree IIRC