Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

peck tapping with Mazak mill problems

Im trying to peck tap on a Mazak vertical mill , Im using a new drill and new tap , but im getting oversize threads

this is the tapping program im using for a 3/8-16 unc

T1 M6

G0 G90 G54 X1.0 Y1.0 S106 M3

G43 H1 Z.1 M8

M64

M47

G98 G84 Z-.75 R.1 Q.075 F.06 H100.

G80 M5 G91 G28 Z0. M9

G28 X0. Y0. G90

M30

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

Well that feed rate is wrong for that tap unless you are using a floating tap holder and would be okay at about 95% feedrate. If in a rigid holder then the feedrate would need to be .0625. Also what material are you cutting? That rpm is is way to slow and might be below the best speed conditions for the machine to tap correctly. I would try about 500 rpms up to 4000 rpms depending on what model machine and control you have might even be able to push it faster.

HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First, Ron is absolutely right about the feed

Man, your peck is only about one pitch, and you have ten pecks per hole; I think you're asking a lot. I would think you should be able to get away with at least a couple-three turns per peck.

If you need this tiny peck amount, make damn sure the tap doesn't run out

Well as everyone else has said your feed is off by about .0025 per rev this could be a format statement wrong in your post.. if they consistently come out wrong..

For our vertical mazak's from our old M-32 controls up to the newer smart and matrix controls.. we use the following and it has always worked on all of them..

Of course spindle speed and peck are subjective depending on programmer and or material etc..

T1

M6

G0 G90 G54 X1.0 Y1.0 S200 M3

G43 H1 Z.1 M8

G95

G63

G98G84Z-1.5R.1Q.2F.0625

G64

G80M9

Well that feed rate is wrong for that tap unless you are using a floating tap holder and would be okay at about 95% feedrate. If in a rigid holder then the feedrate would need to be .0625. Also what material are you cutting? That rpm is is way to slow and might be below the best speed conditions for the machine to tap correctly. I would try about 500 rpms up to 4000 rpms depending on what model machine and control you have might even be able to push it faster.

HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How could you make such a suggestion without first knowing what material he is using? Isn't that machining 101? Is it a roll tap, or cut? You are prescribing medicine before inspecting the patient. Just eager to be heard I presume. :unworthy:

How could you make such a suggestion without first knowing what material he is using? Isn't that machining 101? Is it a roll tap, or cut? You are prescribing medicine before inspecting the patient. Just eager to be heard I presume. :unworthy:

WTF was that?

Seriously? Gratuitous like that?

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Probably hard to pick this up on youtube - but if you've programmed thousands of parts in dozens of different materials - the first thing that jumps out when you see 106rpm on a 3/8-16, is that the SFM is too slow for most materials, and the pitch is off on his feedrate. Not to mention, he said it depends on the material.

Easy to see why you'd be so easily confused though. I'll see if I can find something on youtube for you.

K2csq7,

I am out in Torrington, the shop i'm at is in New Hartford.. I actually met you up at Mazak at the Vardex Threadmilling / Gearcutting seminar thing last year.. you showed me your Spacepilot Pro.. not sure if you would remember..

That's how I remember things ran, just tripped over this one knucklehead twice in a week and started wondering what had happened.

C

Chris I cannot and will never forget what this forum did for me and my family last year when I almost died. I will keep helping here till I am kicked out even when I keep getting called King of the Fanbois and even when it has cost me possible customers thanks to one idiots objective in life to hurt everyone who uses this tool to make a living.

This person is just trying to push buttons and thinks I will go quietly away. I have been on this forum for over a decade and my count is based on postings that for me have value to help my fellow Mastercam programmers. Belittle that and call it stupid and ignorant I am good with that. I have been the underdog most of my life even when in facing death the Doctors did not give me much hope 1% and 5% chances to live. Yet here I am still doing what I like to do help others. If that makes me stupid then I am good with that.

Here are 2 such stupid things I have had a part in.

http://www.mastercam...eeds-and-speeds

http://www.mastercam...cam-Will-Travel

Yet I got I will keep doing what I do best and that is make effort and if someone wants to belittle that they are barking up the wrong tree. Woof Woof. :laughing::turned::geek::hrhr:

Just don't sweat it, Ron; this ain't the schoolyard

C

I really don't, but some kids keep thinking it is the school yard because they just came to the playground. Once they see kicking sand in someone eyes will not be put up with we can hope they see helping is much better than bullying.

Guitarzan LOL. I like that one. :guitar:

You should since you have stated you have a total of one year experience under your belt and know more than 97% of the people on this forum. Lets see over 45K active members and you know more than 43650 of them in one year. Yeah a legend in your own mind that is for sure. You should look up the proclaimed champion of the CAD/CAM world you 2 have a 1000% of the same traits and qualities. I bet between you 2 you could make a CAM software that would turn farts into Gold dust. :sorcerer::laughing:

• Like 1