Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill tool manager??

Brendan P

Good evening everyone.

This has been bugging me for a while so here is my question.

nc utils/define tools/library/tool manager.

If you right click in the tool manager,you can create new tool,edit tool,delete tool,change library.

Now this is as far as I know what I'm doing! rolleyes.gif

So what is the function of:

Convert library to text,and create library from text do??

What would yo need this for,and how do you use it>

Thank you wink.gif

Bucket,

Convert you library to text and see what you get. biggrin.gif I did it one time just for kicks. I was able to read it, but I don't know what else I'd use it for. You'll end up with a .txt file that is somewhat in a "report" type format. It doesn't do anything to your original .TL9 file (IIRC), but you may want to back it up first anyway.

In past threads about tool libraries being slowly accessed when on a network, some said that if you converted your library to text, then back, it sped up the process. This never made sense to me, but others claimed it helped.

Play around with it when you get some "down time."

Thad

Well bucket here is another way to look at the TXT ability. If you have a tool in that libary that has thing you dont like or you have copies of tools and want to change it then you output it a TXT file and then can edit them out. If you have speeds and feeds you would like to change then you can if you look at what relates to what it is easy to see and make changes to. I have saved stuff in a hurry and didnt liek they way it looked but dont know of any way to take them out or chage them and this is where it helps.

Last lets say you have a libary of tools you want to add into another libary then this done easy with a cut & paste in the program you are doing it in. If I had Mazak with the ability to have there own definitions then I would do it here verse trying to add it all in the long way in Mastercam tool for tool. I hope that give you soem ideas and ways too look at it.

Crazy Millman

Millman,

I think it's much easier and efficient to edit the library using NCUtil. Although, if you ever wanted to take the library home to edit it, or edit it at work without tying up a seat of MC, that sounds like a decent way to go. I also like the idea of merging libraries together like you mentioned. Great ideas!

That's what makes this board so great. Everyone is accustomed to doing things a certain way and using certain features a certain way. Here you get options from people all over who all do things differently. Get all the input you can and see what works best for your situation.

Thad

[ 10-23-2003, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Thad ]

The text tool library has a defined format (obvious statement). But it allows users who are fluent in a programming language (like BASIC) to write "tool library generation" utilities that will output a text file in this format to be imported into a Mastercam tool library.

Scenario: you want to automatically create a library of drills with diameters starting at .0015 up to 3.000 in increments of .015625. That's a lot of drills to do one by one, so you write some Visual Basic program that loops and increments to create this text file. Saves a lot of time.

SECRET FUNCTION ALERT!

If you go into your mill9.txt file and enable #4564 by changing the text from 4564. "" &Make lib" to 4564. "&Make lib" you'll have access to a utility that does this for you in your NC Utils/Def Tools menu.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

In the operations manager, if you press Ctrl+Shift and double righ click you have access to a bunch of hidden stuff relating to the binary NCI in your file.

tongue.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I too enjoy modifying my Text File. There's a lot of cool things you can do to "customize" the software. I would imagine that a lot of that customizability will disappear in "X" though.

I changed also the color scheme of the color command layout to some custom scheme .

I removed all the dark colors and added bright ones .

I don`t like a situation when on the black background you don`t see some entety due to it`s almoust black color especially when it `s line width is small.

Iskander teh hack your own pc

The opposite !

I use black background and I don`t use dark colors .

I changed all the dark colors that close to black to bright colors and now I never have problem that I had before ,when the enteties with a color close to black I was not been able to see them .

It can happend when you export file especially when that program uses white background or using colrsurf.dll c-hook

HTH

[ 10-26-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

• 3 months later...
curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif This is where I hate the non ability to go back and edit a post. I am the worst speller and I know have my terrible spelling up there again from and older post. In case you guys have not noticed I have slacked off alot because I try to help and since so many think we need to type perfect I dont want my mis-types to keep coming back on me. curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif