Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Having lots of issues with X7 Simulator. Need some help.

rad_rob

So this week we finally made the jump to X7. Previously running X5 with no issues. On top of that, we also upgraded our computers. We are now running computers with an i7-4770 3.4ghz processor, 12gb of ram, Windows 8.1, and an Nvidia GT 635 graphics card, which is a WAY better computer than what we were running previously. 

Here is where I am running into some issues. I apologize if some of these seem like dumb questions, but I have had nothing but frustration ever since switching to X7. In X5, when running the verify, once the toolpaths were done, I could save the model as an STL file. Then when I would run the following ops, I would just select that STL file from the verify window, and keep going with it. That worked fine forever, and never had any issues doing it that way. Now, with this new Mastercam simulator, it seems like that is no longer the way to do it. I have read posts on here about Mastercam trying to get away from STL files which may be part of my issue. Then I saw where I should be using the new stock model feature, which Im not a huge fan of, but I figured if that's the best way to do it, I would give it a shot. So here is what I am ending up with right now. 

So I select my stock boundaries in the backplot/verify options menu, load the simulator, and everything starts run incredibly clunky and severely slow my entire computer down. To the point where I literally can't do anything with it because it starts to lag so bad. If I try to make any moves in the simulator window, it has a really bad lag as well. The toolpaths, even at the highest speed, are still running really slow. Once they finally do finish up, I go to Save Stock As... and save it as my part number. When I try to load that file, and run my OP2 toolpaths, the model shows up all jagged and makes the lag even worse. So that's when I tried making a Stock Model using just the OP1 toolpaths, and then select that stock model in the Verify Options menu. When I load that one, the model comes up much smoother, but when I try to run my OP2 toolpaths, it locks up my computer. 

I have been trying to find a solution to this for the last 2 days, and is really starting to become frustrating. I have been trying to program around it in the meantime just without verifying my cuts, but that's obviously just a temporary solution. 

So basically, are there any possible options I can try to make this run smoother, or maybe I am doing something wrong. I wish there was a way to completely disable this new simulator and go back to the old verify that worked so well. Any possible options you guys have would be greatly appreciated, and thanks a ton in advance!

I know it won't help you, but I'm in the same position.

We went from 5 straight to 7, and only have the 1x seat running 7 as the other programmer here laughed at the graphics quality.

The verify is okay, but frustrating when it all appears choppy around a csk for instance, where you know that will be good. But then the complicated scanned face looks good, but will it be?

So we're still really running 5 but 8 is nearly ready for release...

So flame suit on.

I know it won't help you, but I'm in the same position.

We went from 5 straight to 7, and only have the 1x seat running 7 as the other programmer here laughed at the graphics quality.

The verify is okay, but frustrating when it all appears choppy around a csk for instance, where you know that will be good. But then the complicated scanned face looks good, but will it be?

So we're still really running 5 but 8 is nearly ready for release...

So flame suit on.

Yeah, we had 5 for a while, and even purchased 6, but the way we program here, we all need to be on the same version so we can pull up models being worked on, and one person didnt make the switch, so we just stayed on 5. But with the new computers, we decided to all make the jump to 7, and so far Im not so thrilled about it. Maybe when 8 comes out, Ill give that a shot. 

I have been trying numerous settings suggested on these forums, so hopefully Ill find one that works. 

You can still use STL files with the new Verify. That gives you the ability to use Verify with the same work flow you had before.

I like Stock Models, but I've noticed that when programming with the HST toolpaths, the calculations take way to long. It seems like the part cuts much faster in Verify.

To use a STL file, you need to do some things differently.

1. The Backplot/Verify options are now on a new button in the Ops Manager. (Next to the verify button) You should set your tolerances using this dialog. My defaults are usually .002 and .002 for Tool and STL Tolerance.
  2. In the Verify dialog box, there is a "File" Tab in the Upper left corner. Click "File", and you'll see a menu pop up. There are "Options" and "Save Stock As".
  3. Use the "Save Stock As" function to save out the STL file.
  4. Set your "save tolerance" values in the "Options" dialog.
  5. Once you've saved an STL file to a new folder, and you are ready to continue verifying your parts, click the "Backplot/Verify" options button again. There is a radio button for "File". This is where you select the STL file for a new session of Verify
  6. You don't have to close the verify dialog box. It runs as a separate process, so you can move it to another monitor if you have dual monitors, or just minimize it to let it continue to run while you continue programming.

Hope that helps,

Colin

You can still use STL files with the new Verify. That gives you the ability to use Verify with the same work flow you had before.

I like Stock Models, but I've noticed that when programming with the HST toolpaths, the calculations take way to long. It seems like the part cuts much faster in Verify.

To use a STL file, you need to do some things differently.

1. The Backplot/Verify options are now on a new button in the Ops Manager. (Next to the verify button) You should set your tolerances using this dialog. My defaults are usually .002 and .002 for Tool and STL Tolerance.
  2. In the Verify dialog box, there is a "File" Tab in the Upper left corner. Click "File", and you'll see a menu pop up. There are "Options" and "Save Stock As".
  3. Use the "Save Stock As" function to save out the STL file.
  4. Set your "save tolerance" values in the "Options" dialog.
  5. Once you've saved an STL file to a new folder, and you are ready to continue verifying your parts, click the "Backplot/Verify" options button again. There is a radio button for "File". This is where you select the STL file for a new session of Verify
  6. You don't have to close the verify dialog box. It runs as a separate process, so you can move it to another monitor if you have dual monitors, or just minimize it to let it continue to run while you continue programming.

Hope that helps,

Colin

That's actually the exact process I was trying originally, but for whatever reason, my STL file when loaded for the further ops comes outvery choppy. Ill try to snap a screenshot of it.