Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS and planes question

within a thou

I have a part that has multiple planes that has already been programmed. What I would like to do is rotate the WCS 90 degrees around z and lock all my planes to the wcs and have them rotate with the wcs. Is this possible? and if so what is the easiest way to lock everything together so I don't need to recreate all my planes and update all the tool planes on all my operations?

There is a post called WCS-4X5.PST and a sample file called WCS_4X.MX5 on the FTP site. It is a modified standard Mpfan.pst where the WCS controls the part origin and attitude relative to the machine while the tool plane only sets the tool axis regardless tool plane X and Y axis or origin. It is a proof of concept but could be built upon if it works for your situation.

Under Toolpaths use Transform.

Set Type to Rotate

Set Source to Geometry

Check box Create new operations and geometry

Under the Rotate tab

Change the instances to 1

Set the angle to 90

Set the view to Front ( or what ever works for what you need.)

I think that should work.

• Like 1

Under Toolpaths use Transform.

Set Type to Rotate

Set Source to Geometry

Check box Create new operations and geometry

Under the Rotate tab

Change the instances to 1

Set the angle to 90

Set the view to Front ( or what ever works for what you need.)

I think that should work.

I keep getting errors that boundary doesn't lie in the construction plane no matter which view I use. I probably also should have mentioned is the reason I have to rotate the part is because my rotary table configuration between the two machines  are different. Taking the job off a chuck style that 360 degrees on A and 90 on B to a trunnion style.

I keep getting errors that boundary doesn't lie in the construction plane no matter which view I use. I probably also should have mentioned is the reason I have to rotate the part is because my rotary table configuration between the two machines  are different. Taking the job off a chuck style that 360 degrees on A and 90 on B to a trunnion style.

Probably going to be cleaner, safer and less headaches to not try using the "easy button",...

You're using two different axis combinations, the best would be to save as - "new setup"

Reorient the part relative to the axis combination in the new machine or create a custom World Coordinate System relative to the part's position in the machine, then you will need new toolplanes relative to the new orientation. You should be able to then reassociate the toolpaths with the new toolplanes. The toolplane association can be done as a mass edit in the edit common parameters.

$0.02 

I have a few different style 5 axis setups here, one of them being a Haas TR160 trunnion. Trust me, there's no easy button... within MasterCam that is.

Probably going to be cleaner, safer and less headaches to not try using the "easy button",...

I agree 100% with you on this CJep.

Way safer to skip the easy button on this one IMO.

I just ended up creating new planes and used the edit common parameters it was faster than trying to play with the transform (with which I am novice with at best).

Thank you for all the help and ideas though guys. I spoke with my vendor and he tells me that in X8 you can rotate a plane without having to create a new one so guess I should finally upgrade before the next one of these legacy programs  comes up.

I just ended up creating new planes and used the edit common parameters it was faster than trying to play with the transform

Edit common parameters is a huge help with this indeed.

Glad it worked out.

Would be good thing to see in X8. Hopefully it works as intended.