Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modular vises, any recommendations?

Bob W.

I recently replaced my Haas VMC with a second Makino HMC leaving me with one VMC and two HMCs.  I pretty much always had the Haas tooled up with a vise and a vacuum chuck so I could quickly throw on a piece of material and dovetail it or do other prep work for the HMCs, it was pretty much a utility machine.  After getting rid of the Haas I am a little short in this area and I am looking for a solid modular vise system that is super flexible and can quickly be installed on my PS95 VMC with the rotary installed, or on a tombstone on the HMCs.  Some of the vises I have run across are Triag or the SVF vises offered by Tombstone City.  Here is a Youtube video of the Triag vise:

My budget is ~$3k for a pair of vises.  I have no idea what the quality of these is or what else might be out there.  I want to add pull studs to the bottom of the vise so it can be in and out of the machine in a flash so I can get done what I need to do and get back to the work that pays the bills.  In short, I want to make the PS95 VMC more flexible so I don't have to pull the rotary to install a Kurt vise just to drill a few holes.  Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

I used the Triag clamps in dedicated fixtures on our HMCs .   We ran 24/7 production & never had problems with them.  The only thing we ever replaced was the jaws which started to wear after about  12-18 months.  I figured it's normal for as much as we used them.  The company offers a variety of styles & sizes.  We purchased extended jaws & milled a contour to match our part.  The clamps are not cheap,  but they outperformed any of the other clamps we were using before.  

I ordered a Lang vise this afternoon, thanks for the heads up.  I have always associated their vises as specific to 5-axis work but after looking more closely they really are pretty flexible.  I got the Makro-Grip 310mm and it has a ~7.8" clamping capacity which is actually a little larger than my old Kurt D675s I am replacing.  I really like Lang's quality as well.  I have several of their zero-point plates and they are really well made so I know I will be getting a nice piece of equipment when it shows up.

about $1850.  I would have ordered a pair but at 36 pounds I just couldn't see using it in a production capacity on our quick change rotary fixtures which is what I bought it for.  I will machine in features for the Schunk pull studs and use it as a utility vise so I don't need to remove the rotary to put a Kurt vise in the machine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to say that this thread couldn't of come at a better time. Company just bought a Mazak FH 8800 and looking to tool it up. We already have a FH6800, I was told I'm going to be the one running it. Getting lots of ideas from the websites. My Christmas List keeps getting bigger. I guess I should of been nice.

• 3 months later...