Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma Experts, Need general advice

TO all the Okuma experts here. I started a new job 3 weeks ago and I'm currently sorting out the lathe side of the shop. We are an all Okuma lathe dept with a lot of varied controls.

We have everything from a LC-10 up to a couple new OSP-P300L controlled machines that are still being installed.

I come from a Fanuc background with 10 years on Daewoo Lynx machines. Most of the machines here do not have a presetter.

I'm working on getting caught up with all the various functions and the layouts of these old controls.

Does anyone have a link or set of resources they would be willing to share so I can get myself up to speed on these controls?

I've got the manuals for these new machines and know where to dig out the ones for the old controls.

I'm likely going to be a key part of the makeover for this dept and I need to get myself up to speed on the machines to facilitate this starting by the beginning of the year.

There are several of us on the forum that work for an Okuma distributor and even a few Okuma employees that check in from time to time. We have plenty of resources to share, but we need to know what specifically you are looking for. Feel free to ask or PM me with any questions. 

We're an all-Okuma lathe shop, too; with several Mac-Turn and Multus mill-turn machines and Okuma HMC's as well. We've got everything from ancient Cadet's (back when Okuma's colors were green!) to the brand new P300 LT multi-spindles.

Like Doug said, there's plenty of stuff to share and I'm happy to help, but you're going to have to get a bit more specific.

Thank you for all the replies.

I appreciate all the responses. I'm working on my list of things to understand right now.

Currently I'm struggling with setups. Specifically touching off tools.

I am used to presetters and we only have 5 machines with them here.

Different beast, but I think the AE for our reseller gave me enough information for

me to be able to get started more comfortably.

I'm having a little trouble with NLAP codes.

I personally would prefer they programmed everything in MC instead of just using it to get Z positions.

I know using the Canned cycles lets parameters get changed faster for the cuts, but that can be a catch 22 as well.

Not having the long code to read makes me more nervous with trying to improve cycle times, tool life, and overall productivity.

We have two "Simulturn" machines and that is probably my biggest trouble.

First job I ran and improved was on an old green LC-20.

I think I have a handle on the code layout for these systems, but it still makes me nervous when I'm messing with SFM and did I change it on both sides of the code.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/etc... I should be looking into for optimizing these various controls?

Not having the long code to read makes me more nervous with trying to improve cycle times, tool life, and overall productivity.

Don't understand this; canned roughing is your friend

Currently I'm struggling with setups. Specifically touching off tools.

You have about 1,000 options for touching off tools, but the [2] easiest would be:

1) Pick a "master tool" or a "zero set tool" on your turret (we used the finish turn tool back in the day), and base the rest of your offsets from that tool.

Touch the zero set tool off the stock in X, go to your Zero Set page, Calculate - Stock dia - Write. Move the tool to where you want Z0 to be, go to your Zero Set page, Calculate - 0 - Write.

After that, zero is established by that tool, and you can just touch the rest of the tools off on the stock (or the chuck, jaws, wherever your Z0 is); the offsets will be relative to that tool, so the numbers are kinda meaningless, but it works

2) Just touch the tools off the stock (or the chuck, jaws, wherever your Z0 is); the offsets will be relative to who-knows-where, so the numbers are really meaningless, but it works

We use neither method, but I don't have time to lay out the "right" way to do it. My suggestion is get the boss to call Gosiger (or whoever the Okuma store is in your area) and set up some training. If you have a bunch of Okuma machines, they should help you out as much as you need.

C

Workman

NLAP  works very similar to g71 in fanuc.  Its a roughing cycle NLAP1 NLAP2 etc. real sweet when you get used to it!   And on the simo turn stuff, as stated depends on what you are doing  ie pinch turning, rgh & finish, OD & ID etc.  Keep your P-codes in order...

Thank you all for the feedback.

Chris: I don't mind using canned cycles. As long as I know what the hell they are doing. Coming from a fanuc background, the implementation of them by Okuma is not a straight forward thing.

I've got no one really to be a dedicated trainer and everyone does things differently. My job is to figure out what is going on, learn the controls and make standardization changes ASAP.

I'm ok with being tossed in the deep end as long as I have some sort of guide to fall back on. Currently we have 7+ different controls on the shop floor. It's a little bit of a learning curve.

I've talked to the AE for Gosiger when he came in to train us on the new controls. I'm making progress on learning how to manipulate the controls.

I was just looking to see if anyone had any online type resources that I can reference on my time when I am away from the shop to work towards teaching myself how to best apply the machines to the work we have and get myself up to 100% in the shortest time possible.

Word sto the wise on LAP cycles:

1) Don't mess with stock definition in canned cycles; if you aren't turning a bar, use a Roughing toolpath instead.

2) The "D" word on turning is depth of cut on the DIAMETER but for facing it is the straight-up DOC. The stock Okuma post used to be screwed up and post 2X the desired DOC on facing, so keep your eye out.

My job is to figure out what is going on, learn the controls and make standardization changes ASAP

"You don't know how this works, but tell us how to do it better"

Tough position you are in there, man.

Throw up any questions you have; somebody will get you going

I was just looking to see if anyone had any online type resources that I can reference on my time when I am away from the shop to work towards teaching myself how to best apply the machines to the work we have and get myself up to 100% in the shortest time possible.

YouTube is usually a pretty good place to get some info. I go there all the time.  The problem is that I always start with machining videos and end up with 400 tabs open and it's 5 hours later lol. 

YouTube is a time travel device!